Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chuckwh
Beginner

Installing Fortran and then C++ clobbers Visual Studio

This has happened to me twice in the past few months.  Earlier I was working (for years) with Fortran 2013 integrated in Visual Studio, and then I needed C++ for a project.  Since I own both (as part of the Cluster Studio) I installed C++ and told it I wanted it integrated with Visual Studio.  The net result was that my Fortran became unusable.  So I did my C++ project, and then had to do a clean re-install of the Fortran.

Since then I moved on to Visual Studio 2015, and I have been successfully using Fortran 2015 update 7 for a few months.  I needed to work on the C++ project, so today I tried to install C++ 2015 update 7.  The installation seemed to go fine.  Then I fired up Visual Studio and it told me that the IntelCpp integration package failed to load.  After several attempts with reboots and restarting of Visual Studio, I gave up and used the Control Panel to uninstall C++.  As it worked, one of the steps told me that it was uninstalling Fortran.  That is not what I asked it to do.  It seems that Composer is Composer to the uninstaller.

This is annoying.  Is it not possible to have both Fortran and C++ installed and usable under Visual Studio at the same time???  Is there some trick that nobody has told me?  Is there a certain order or something?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Soflen_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Charles,

I saw you have "IntelR Parallel Studio XE Cluster Edition for Windows* Version: 2017".
If you install this package (2678MB), C++ & Fortran compiler will be integrated to your VS at the same time. Uninstalling the package should remove these two compilers at the same time as well.

Best regards,
Soflen

chuckwh
Beginner

I have the whole Parallel Studio, but 95% of the time I use only Fortran and VTune, so I have been installing those packages individually, rather than use the all-in-one install.

So maybe installing Fortran and integrating into VS, and then later installing C++ and asking it to integrate into VS is not what is intended.  Sort of a "by design" issue.

I will move forward by uninstalling all Intel packages, and then install the whole Parallel Studio.  Probably what I am supposed to do is "customize" the install to get the tools I want.  Then later I could do a "modify" of the installation if I'd like to add more tools.

Thanks,
Chuck