Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Intel® RealSense™ Technology to Power Psychological Thriller Game

Vidyasagar_MSC
Innovator

Intel is helping Indie studio Flying Mollusk use RealSense technology to power their ambitious bio-feedback enhanced psychological horror game “Nevermind” using unique measurements such as heart-rate monitoring. The only way to fully experience the game used to be to wear a bulky chest strap on the bare skin. Now, RealSense’s IR camera can see the slight fluctuations in color on your forehead and cheekbones which sync with your heart rate and eliminate the need for a chest strap to measure the player’s heart-rate. Flying Mollusk is previewing their Intel RealSense-optimized application at GDC. Read More

0 Kudos
9 Replies
samontab
Valued Contributor II

That's nice. I want to see if it is possible to do it as wwe were discussing this same topic a few days ago. I reckon the resolution is not enough... but hopefully I am wrong.

0 Kudos
Vidyasagar_MSC
Innovator

More details are yet to come.I think resolution shouldn't be an issue here.Expecting a trend setting stuff.

Will keep posted.

0 Kudos
Robert_Oschler
Beginner

I wonder why they removed the heartbeat stuff from the SDK then?  Looks like they intended to go forward with the tech.

0 Kudos
samontab
Valued Contributor II

I think you need to get quite close to the skin to discern those changes... that could be an optical zoom or a digital zoom with a larger resolution.... I don't think realsense has either..

0 Kudos
Vidyasagar_MSC
Innovator

Agreed !!! But can expect this in future version and also form factors and resolutions.

0 Kudos
Wezley_S_
New Contributor I

Since the resolution isn't enough for heart rate detection. You can can also go towards this by guaging the user's facial reactions towards the game to guage their mood/reactions. It's definitely not as accurate as using a heart rate sensor, but until that's supported using emotion detection is definitely a good alternative. 

0 Kudos
Vidyasagar_MSC
Innovator

That's a nice idea to use facial focal points which are approx 78 recognized by the Camera.It may not be accurate compared to a sensor, As heart beat is vibration based.

0 Kudos
samontab
Valued Contributor II

I have to say that using visual input for recognizing the current emotional state of a person is really hard for a computer.

We are used to having this ability as human beings, but for a PC, it is really difficult to differentiate those states based on visual information.

Using other types of sensors is a way simpler and more efficient solution...

0 Kudos
Vidyasagar_MSC
Innovator

Agreed samontab!! that's my point too. Without touch, the accuracy of any calibration is minimum.

0 Kudos