Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Intel XDK App starter - Scrolling the content is bumpy in Android

Sharmila_M_
Beginner

Hi,

I created a application in Intel XDK using App starter. Only in Android Phones while scrolling the contents it is so bumpy(more jerks). But in I-phone it is so smooth. Can you please tell why it is happening? Is there any solution to solve this?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Brandon_K_Intel
Employee

You are probably using an old version of App Framework. We recently deprecated App Starter. You will likely have to update to newest version of App Framework to resolve these issues.

0 Kudos
Sharmila_M_
Beginner

I have upgraded the Intel XDK 2366 version and tried with the same App Starter project, but it doesn't work out.

Should I need to completely dissolve the existing App Starter project which I have?

0 Kudos
mattias_c_
Beginner

Try building for Android, scroller is alot better in build than app preview for some reason. However, when you drop your finger off the screen after you  have scrolled its some issues. If you drop your finger off the screen while scrolling with speed it continues abit after(working as intended).

But if you scroll abit and then stop scrolling without any speed, the scroller will jump abit as if you stopped scrolling with some speed to the scroller.(it shouldn't keep scrolling here just stop)

0 Kudos
Sharmila_M_
Beginner

I build the application in cordova android and tested on the device only. Even though it is very jumpy.

0 Kudos
Sharmila_M_
Beginner

If i remove the css file named af.ui.css the scrolling is perfect but the whole design got collapsed. This css was created in the App Starter it self. So I guess some style inside the css file is making the scroll very jumpy. I couldn't find which part of the style is doing such thing. I have attached the css file. Can you please help me on this?

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Test your app using a USB cable and the Debug tab, and build it using the Crosswalk option. What you are likely seeing is the bad performance and features of Android 4.x webviews. Crosswalk fixes this problem for you. See this blog for some background: http://blogs.intel.com/evangelists/2014/09/02/html5-web-app-webview-app

0 Kudos
mattias_c_
Beginner

Did you manage to fix your problem Sharmilia

0 Kudos
Sharmila_M_
Beginner

No.. I couldn't resolve. With the latest index XDK version I tried even using crosswalk but there is no change. Each and every time I used to build the application and test in the Android mobile only. I think the problem is in the App starter itself. I'm sure that the afui.css(above attached the file) is causing the issue. Once i remove that css there is no jumpy scrolling but the design got changed. Since i created the full application in the App starter it is difficult to switch over to other templates too.. Please help to resolve this issue.

0 Kudos
Andrea_C_
New Contributor I

Try to enable this feature:

af.feat.nativeTouchScroll = true;

with Crosswalk and see if you have some improvements. I had a great boost in my app.

0 Kudos
Hamilton_Tenório_da_
Valued Contributor I

@Andrea > sorry for my question, but, where do I insert this line? In .js file? 

0 Kudos
Andrea_C_
New Contributor I

Once you loaded appframework, you can in your js file pass this option to appframework.

This will enable the native scroller instead of the (slow) javascript scroller.

Hamilton Tenório da Silva wrote:

@Andrea > sorry for my question, but, where do I insert this line? In .js file? 

0 Kudos
Reginaldo_P_
Beginner

Andrea's answer solved the problem.

Thank you!

0 Kudos