Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17060 Discussions

Issue with camera on Windows 10 for Windows Hello

Todd_S_3
Beginner

On build 101240 of Windows 10 using 1.4 of the drivers and it seems I am having issues with the camera.  Tried this on two MBs, one Z87 and one Z97 - both same issue.   I am using USB 3.0 on both. 

Using something like Skye or even some of the tools in the SDK the camera seems to be fine. 

Other's I know have no issues.

Any thoughts?

hello1_0.jpg

0 Kudos
48 Replies
Colleen_C_Intel
Employee

It takes a later versions of Win 10....I want to say 260 but I could be rememering wrong

0 Kudos
Todd_S_3
Beginner

No, build 101240 if the build that MS is sending to OEMs and I know of others that have the camera on this build and it works fine.  Also, I have tried it on Samsung laptop that I have with the same build and it works fine there. 

It just seems to have an issue on my desktop.  I am resetting Windows right now to see if that might clear it up.

0 Kudos
Ben_K_
Beginner

I too am having this issue!

Using Windows 10 10240, DCM 1.4, SDK 5.0.3.187777 - uninstalled all old packages and installed both clean - including new firmware.

What's interesting is that while the screen is distorted, I can sometimes get the camera to detect my face and enroll me - but sign-in still doesn't work.  I see the camera initialize at the lock screen, but it doesn't log me in.

I have been doing consecutive updates to Win10 for a while now, so it's possible it may be internal settings, but I'm guessing not.

0 Kudos
AndreCarlucci
Beginner

Yeap, I'm using Windows 10 10240, SDK 5.0.3.7777 and DCM 1.4.27.24669. The CPU is a 4710MQ.

It works fine. I tried on the Intel SDP ultrabook with the same versions and it works there too.

I hope resetting Windows solves your issue, Windows Hello is really cool!

0 Kudos
Todd_S_3
Beginner

A reset did not solve the issue, same issue and I'm on v1.4.27.30007 of the drivers.  As mentioned, the camera works fine in Skype and using some of the sample tools in the SDK.  Issue is just Windows 10 on the Setup screen.

I even installed the Warrior Wave game and it seems the camera works fine there, https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24334/Warrior-Wave-Game-for-Intel-RealSense-3D-Camera.

0 Kudos
RBang
New Contributor II

I was using Build 101240 of Windows 10 and now using the latest update, coupled with i5 First Gen processor and using DCM v1.3.20.55679 and Offline SDK r3 v5.0.3.187777. Worked fine in both cases. Also based on the screenshot you sent, I think it's an issue with the camera itself rather than the Windows build's software. Whatever the case, try updating the Windows 10 Build and/or test it on some other laptop/desktop.

0 Kudos
Todd_S_3
Beginner

I would think it's an issue with the camera too, but like I said the camera works fine in Skype and using the tools in the SDK.  Also, I tried the camera on a Samsung laptop with Windows 10 10240 on it and it worked fine there too.   So, it is something with the either my video card drivers, Nivida, latest drivers for Windows 10, Windows 10 itself or the Intel drivers on my chipset/cpu.

I even changed my MB from the Z87 chipset to the Z97 chipset and from MSI to ASUS and still the same issue.

Other thing I have noticed, is when the system comes out of sleep I get the "looking for you" icon, but the camera is not activated, so thinking it is more Intel driver issue related.

0 Kudos
Todd_S_3
Beginner

So, seems other are having the same issue.  Also, the other thing that people are noticing is that the camera does not work when the system comes out of Sleep/Resume.   Works fine after a reboot, but not sleep.

0 Kudos
RBang
New Contributor II

Todd S. wrote:

So, seems other are having the same issue.  Also, the other thing that people are noticing is that the camera does not work when the system comes out of Sleep/Resume.   Works fine after a reboot, but not sleep.

That is an issue with the Depth driver that you installed. The dcm one. So if you're able to relate the problem you are getting with the driver, then whenever this issue happens either:
1) Restart it.
2) If that does not work, then Uninstall driver->Restart->Install again->Restart. 

0 Kudos
Todd_S_3
Beginner

I've reinstalled the driver multiple times.  Still same behavior.  I turned off "Allow sleep" on all USB hubs in Device Manager and that works 50% of time.  But overall, the camera/drivers just do not work with my setup which is all standard Intel based, i7-4770K Cpu, Z97 Asus MB (also failed on z87 MSI MB).

Intel/Creative need to update their drivers and work closer with MS for testing.

0 Kudos
Todd_S_3
Beginner

Update:

Updated drivers to 1.4.27.32425 and some progress, but new issues:

1. Now the microphone no longer works.  Shows as not available.  In Device Manager, shows installed as Creative VF0800 but you cannot configure it or set it up, says not working.

2. In Windows Hello I can now see myself, but only a BW image.  Seems the color camera is not working, but does work in Skype (however, microphone does not).   However, it seems I cannot setup Windows Hello as I cannot get the camera to complete, it just keeps going between "Center yourself" and "Look at Screen" - no matter which position I put myself in.

Having issues uploading image, can see it at http://1drv.ms/1CY5d1T

0 Kudos
Daron_B_
Beginner

Only just seen this thread but it looks like I've just joined the club as to having the issues with Hello failing. Brand new PC here with main specs as:

• Processor (CPU): Intel Corei7 Quad Core Processor i7-4790k (4.0GHz) 8MB Cache
  • Motherboard: ASUS® MAXIMUS VII HERO: RoG, PCI-e 3.0, SATA 3.0, USB3.0 (Z97 Chipset)
  • Memory (RAM): 16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X BEAST DUAL-DDR3 2133MHz X.M.P (2 x 8GB)
  • Graphics Card: 4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 - 1 DVI, 1 mHDMI, 3 mDP - 3D Vision Ready

If I use the older 1.4.27.30007 kit I get a corrupted image in the Hello configurator, with 1.4.27.32425 I get a blank image (see other post just made).

Same as with others the camera works perfectly in Skype.

Windows 10 build is 10240, up to date with patches, drivers, BIOS updated, "Allow sleep" on all USB hubs in Device Manager, etc.

I'll test it on my Surface pro 2 tonight, but really want it for the main PC as that is the machine which gets the heavy usage.

Really hope that Intel can work with Microsoft to get these issues resolved.

0 Kudos
Kevin_L_5
Beginner

I'm also having an issue with the F200 camera setting-up Windows Hello Face sign-in.  Using Windows 10 build 10240 with the latest updates. Version 1.4 of the DCM on a Dell Venue 11 Pro with an i5-4210Y processor. When I enter the Face sign-in setup, the camera does not turn on. The Warrior Wave application installs fine but won't turn on the camera when you start the game. Reinstalling the drivers does not fix the problem.

The camera works fine with other applications such as the Camera app and Skype.

0 Kudos
Daron_B_
Beginner

Well the camera works with Skype, as can be seen here:

skype.jpg

But if I try to install the game I get:

setup_err.jpg

So to me this has to be an issue that the relevant drivers are not installing properly.

0 Kudos
Daron_B_
Beginner

Well more experimentation and I moved things forward a little as I posted here:

http://www.smartphonegurus.com/forums/topic/19073-review-intel-realsense-developer-kit/

But I still can't get past the 'grey image' issue or get reliable recognition from 3 feet away from the camera.

0 Kudos
Todd_S_3
Beginner

So, for this has been pretty worthless and just doesn't work.  90% of the time the camera does not activate, no color as mentioned and the fact that this unit really doesn't work on a desktop setup due to short field of vision, makes for a waste of $99 for now.

On top of that the color camera pretty much sucks even though they say it is 1080x1920 it is a horrible image.

0 Kudos
Daron_B_
Beginner

I have to agree, for me no problem with the camera activating, but no colour, no way to zoom the detected image so that it can at a decent distance from the PC, i.e. on top of the monitor.

The colour webcam image seems okay to me, but adjusting the image does not work very well to improve it.

I'm just hoping that once Win 10 gets a formal release in 2 days time that Intel work to fix all these issues. With the official release on Win 10 being so close I'd expect Intel to be releasing new drivers at a great rate of knots to fix the issues.

So my $165 (camera, carriage, and import duty) might work one day but I'm not holding my breath.

I just wish all the reviewers out there had been more honest concerning their thoughts on the performance of the camera - I can't believe nobody had any of the issues we are seeing.

0 Kudos
RBang
New Contributor II

Daron B. wrote:

Well the camera works with Skype, as can be seen here:

But if I try to install the game I get:

So to me this has to be an issue that the relevant drivers are not installing properly.

It happened with my Lenovo All in One PC a couple of times (specs matched with minimum specs of the Camera), that it did not detect the camera even after plugging it. In my case, after restarting and plugging in and out the camera a couple of times, helped. Worst come worst follow these 4 steps:
1) Uninstall driver
2) Restart
3)Install Driver
4) Restart

This will surely work.

0 Kudos
RBang
New Contributor II

Daron B. wrote:

Well more experimentation and I moved things forward a little as I posted here:

http://www.smartphonegurus.com/forums/topic/19073-review-intel-realsense...

But I still can't get past the 'grey image' issue or get reliable recognition from 3 feet away from the camera.

If you look at this link, you'll see that they have written upto 1.2 meters. 
https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2015/01/19/face-tracking-using-the-intel-realsense-sdk-bkms

3 feet is good enough if you ask me, but nonetheless try adjusting the lighting and other factors mentioned in the post.

0 Kudos
Daron_B_
Beginner

Driver processed as you recommended, removed both the device drivers and the Intel software from control panel, rebooted, all reinstalled and then rebooted. As you can see still a black / white image in the 'Hello' wizard:

b_w.jpg

The above is with the camera 3 feet away from me, with full daylight and additional 3-buld overhead light. As you can see still a black / white image and no recognition.

Do you see a colour image in that configuration screen?

0 Kudos