Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17060 Discussions

License renewal and non-commercial usage

Scheibe__Patrick
New Contributor I

Let me describe our situation in short: We are a very small research group at university. We don't need C/C++ on a daily basis, but when it comes down to fast algorithms, parallelization and speed tuning I always valued the Intel C/C++ compiler and its tools. We work on all 3 major operating system: I develop on Linux, but we use the algorithms in OSX as well as in Windows. 

Let me emphasize: We are in a purely academic setting. We don't earn money with the algorithms and we only use it for our own research projects. Nevertheless, since I really value the work of Intel and the costs of the standalone (academic) C/C++ compiler are moderate compared to the whole professional suite we always purchased an OSX and Windows version of the compiler. With this, my colleagues didn't have to recompile my code with gcc and open-source Intel Threading Building Blocks.

Now, since Intel basically killed its Non-Commercial offer as it existed, I'm confronted to be forced to buy additionally an "Intel® Parallel Studio XE Professional Edition for C++" for Linux if I want to have not only the compiler but VTune, the Advisor and the Inspector. As I'm reading through zillions of Intel web-pages to understand the current license situation, I came to the conclusion that as an academic researcher my only option is to get the Intel libraries for free.

Therefore, my last station is to ask here: Isn't there really no possibility any more to get the C/C++ Professional Compiler and Tools for free, even

• when I'm provably working in a non-profit setting
  • when I have provably bought the compilers for the other operating systems in addition for many years
  • when I have ongoing open-source projects (although non of them are C/C++, because this is mostly used in current research projects)

Cheers
Patrick 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Feilong_H_Intel
Employee

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for your recognition to our tools.  Today I was informed that our free software tools are back.  Please see this page: https://software.intel.com/en-us/qualify-for-free-software for more details.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Scheibe__Patrick
New Contributor I

Hi Feilong,

thanks for your answer.

Feilong H (Intel) wrote:

Today I was informed that our free software tools are back.  Please see this page: https://software.intel.com/en-us/qualify-for-free-software for more details.

I have already linked this site in my question. There are 4 choices: Academic Researcher, Student, Educator and Open-Source Contributor. The only think that really fits my situation is "Academic Researcher". Unfortunately, the only offer there is

• Intel® Math Kernel Library
  • Intel® Threading Building Blocks
  • Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
  • Intel® MPI Library

No compiler, no VTune, no Inspector, etc and above all, the offer only applies to american researchers.

Cheers
Patrick

0 Kudos
Feilong_H_Intel
Employee

Hi Patrick,

Sorry that I wasn't aware of that.  That's all we offer right now.  I have very limited information about this offering, since it came back just in one or two days ago.  I'm sorry if none of the choices fits you.  Yep, I noticed that you are not in the United States.

Thanks

0 Kudos