Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Need a help for a project

Vignesh_R_
Beginner

Hey all,

​I bought Intel Realsense VF0800 camera.. I would like to do a project with the the camera.. Can anyone help me with that? I m doing my final year college. Thanks.if possible can anyone help with a small project u did?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I have published a large series of detailed step by step guides that may be helpful to you in your project.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/realsense/topic/676139

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
29 Replies
Vignesh_R_
Beginner

The above steps using unity is quite easy.. is there anymore steps, or that's all? 'TrackingAction' script (it comes packaged with the RealSense SDK). how to integrate this?

0 Kudos
Vignesh_R_
Beginner

And my supervisor granted permission to do with Unity. He just wanted to make the project quite simple. Just picking a ball and placing it in a basket. with that we need to explain how we did with unity a step-by-step process. that's all..

0 Kudos
Vignesh_R_
Beginner

hey marty. I just thought an idea, is that easy to develop an application using gestures to control the laptop by closing and opening applications. for example, using hand just tapping "close icon" it just closes. is there any possible way to do like that?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

There would be no script programming involved in the Unity ball example.  Everything in that project could be done with drag-and-drop of elements and typing values into configuration windows.

To use the TrackingAction script in your project, you start a new Unity project and then run an application packaged with the SDK called Unity Toolkit whilst Unity is running.  This imports the camera files and scripts (including TrackingAction) into your project.  You can then select scripts from the panel that contains the project assets and drag and drop them into objects (such as the sphere representing the ball).

The idea of opening and closing a laptop's applications with Unity (if you are talking about applications outside of Unity) would likely be too difficult, as it would probably involve writing a custom C++ module so that Unity could communicate with non-Unity programs.

0 Kudos
Vignesh_R_
Beginner

For opening and closing application, is there anywhere I can find the script for it? Using C program? Or any forms related with it?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

As far as I know, accessing programs from other programs (e.g to turn a program off) tends to be difficult.  This is because if it were easy then people could write malware programs that trick people into damaging their computer or taking control of it when the malware program is run.

0 Kudos
Vignesh_R_
Beginner

Omg that's a problem.. Ok.. Can I have sample scripts in forms where I use just hand to say hiii.. Just shaking hand. Can I find any scripts for that?

​my supervisor told me if possible use visual studio! Is there any sample scripts just to shake hands and tell "Hi".?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I am guessing that if you are developing in Visual Studio, you are writing in C# language?  If so, you should look for C# scripts, not "Visual Studio scripts" specifically.

I can't help with scripts myself because I develop in Unity, not Visual Studio.  I would recommend googling for 'visual studio open and close programs'.  For example, the top search result I got was a YouTube guide to making a voice-controlled open and closer in C# Visual Studio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DraCptKRg28

Another useful YouTube video shows how to configure RealSense in Visual Studio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsOCJa_if24

I think you will probably be able to piece together what you need if you just google around.

Edit: it occurred to me that opening and closing applications is usually an action that you do with the mouse.  RealSense comes with a tech that could do this called the Touchless Controller.  Here's the text from the manual's entry about it.

The touchless controller module allows you to use hand gestures to control basic user interface functions, such as moving the cursor, scrolling and selecting.  The module works in conjunction with the Intel RealSense 3D camera to identify certain hand gestures, which are used as triggers for UI controls.  The module is “touchless” because it doesn’t require the user to touch a mouse, keyboard or other device, but rather to perform intuitive hand gestures in front of the computer screen.

The module is based on the hand tracking module.  The hand module provides raw hand tracking information and gesture identification (see Hand Tracking).  The touchless controller module performs higher level functions, including mapping gestures to UI controls and generating the appropriate system events.  In addition, its gesture identification feature is tailored specifically to the task of performing UI controls.  For example, when a zoom action is performed, other irrelevant gestures (such as taps) are ignored.

Here's a link to a similar project someone did with it on GitHub.  The YouTube videos are broken but the download link for the source code still works.

http://bostrot.github.io/Touchless-Desktop-Controller/

0 Kudos
Vignesh_R_
Beginner

Thank you so oooo much marty.. I wouldn't forget this help.

0 Kudos