Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Parallel Lint

qnphan
Beginner
Intel Parallel Toolset has newfeature called"parallel lint".

Does this tool detect vunerable memory data r/w access by multiple threads and warning developer about it? I would like to learn more about this tool feature to port serial application to multicore system.

Is there any document or link where I canread more on this tool feature?

Best,
P
0 Kudos
12 Replies
JenniferJ
We have a webinar tomorrow 6/2 9am pacific time about this feature.

You can register to join at http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=64411 , you can also download/view the video later at your convinient time.

Jennifer

0 Kudos
KitturGanesh
Employee

Thanks Jennifer, that's a good suggestion for P to register to get valuable information. Also, to his question, yes the tools should help with diagnostics of memory leaks, buffer overflow and so on. The webinar should definitely provide more information on the many features available as part of the tool.

-regards,
Kittur
0 Kudos
qnphan
Beginner
Quoting - qnphan
Intel Parallel Toolset has newfeature called"parallel lint".

Does this tool detect vunerable memory data r/w access by multiple threads and warning developer about it? I would like to learn more about this tool feature to port serial application to multicore system.

Is there any document or link where I canread more on this tool feature?

Best,
P

Thanks for the resposne. Too bad, I just missed the Web session so waiting for the recorded version. Is the recorded version only available the next day? Is there earlier recorded version I can view?

Related question for this thread: can the tool detect unprotected memory write access in the multithread section and generate warning?

Phan
0 Kudos
Om_S_Intel
Employee

You may use the Parallel inspector to detect unprotected memory access. Parallel Inspectoris part of the Parallel Studio. The Parallel Studio is already released.
0 Kudos
JenniferJ
You can still register to get the ppt or video. Sample is posted to here - http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=65969

The parallel lint feature only checks for Openmp code. It will be enhanced in the future release for other multithread methods.

Jennifer

0 Kudos
qnphan
Beginner
The Parallel lint webinar is right on. Thanks!
I decided to give the beta version a try so downloaded and installed the parallel composer.
Step 3of the NQeens procedure does not sync well with my VS2008.

Inmy VS main menu, there is no "Parallel Inspector" option!

1)Do I need to download Inspector and install it separately to use the Parallel lint?
2)Does Intel C compiler isrequired or VS compilerworks as well?Step 2 in the NQeens execise calls for Intel C++ compiler.

Thanks,
Phan

0 Kudos
JenniferJ
Quoting - qnphan
1)Do I need to download Inspector and install it separately to use the Parallel lint?
2)Does Intel C compiler isrequired or VS compilerworks as well?Step 2 in the NQeens execise calls for Intel C++ compiler.
1) yes, you need to download/install the Inspector as well as Amplifer. The full pkg is called Paralle Studio that contains all 3 components.

2) VS compiler works well with Inspector and Amplifer. Yes, several sample projects in NQeens require to use the Intel Parallel Composer.

So I'd suggest to do following:
1. uninstall the Intel Parallel Composer from "Add/Remove Program"
2. download and install the Intel Parallel Studio full pkg (may need some time to download)

Thanks,
Jennifer
0 Kudos
qnphan
Beginner
Completed the removal of Parallel composer but have problem with downloading the Studio for evaluation.

Here is the error message.
"Error
Problems with your account are preventing us from completing your request "

Could that be because I just downloaded the Composer yesterday? if so, what should I do to evaluate the Studio package? Thanks!

0 Kudos
JenniferJ
Quoting - qnphan
Here is the error message.
"Error
Problems with your account are preventing us from completing your request "
This is strange. It seems it's in a wrong state.

Could you try again?

Jennifer
0 Kudos
qnphan
Beginner
Jennifer, the link works now. Thanks.

0 Kudos
AndreyKarpov
New Contributor I
Relevant article: Parallel Lint
Abstract. The article describes a new direction in development of static code analyzers - verification of parallel programs. The article reviews several static analyzers which can claim to be called "Parallel Lint".

0 Kudos
gadir
Beginner
You may use the Parallel inspector to detect unprotected memory access. Parallel Inspectoris part of the Parallel Studio. The Parallel Studio is already released.
0 Kudos