Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Programming guide for next generation Atom

aeassa
Beginner

Hi, 

When will we see documentation for the next generation Atom processor? I assume that a lot of the optimization techniques that are valid for the current iteration of the Atom CPU will not be relevant for the next generation. Further, any word on what ISA extensions we will see there (i.e. AVX, AVX2, etc.)? Will it be in synchronization with the current generation "Core" products? 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...When will we see documentation for the next generation Atom processor?... Even for the current generation of Atom CPU information is limited. Please take a look at a Chapter 13 in Intel 64 and IA-32 Architectures Optimization Reference Manual April 2012 edition. There are only 27 pages devoted to Atom TM Microarchitecture and optimization techniques. Right now I don't know where else you could look at. Best regards, Sergey
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
>>>ven for the current generation of Atom CPU information is limited>>> Probably Intel does not expect a lot of development beign done for Atom processor.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...Probably Intel does not expect a lot of development beign done for Atom processor... I wouldn't say so because nobody knows except for Intel how many Netbooks with Atom CPUs are sold since 2008.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
>>>I wouldn't say so because nobody knows except for Intel how many Netbooks with Atom CPUs are sold since 2008.>>> The question is if there is a profit from developing an apps for Atom CPU.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...Will it be in synchronization with the current generation "Core" products? What exactly do you mean? For example, when it comes to SSE, I would say, Atom CPUs are "synchronized" for a long time. Here is a small example: CPU: Intel Atom N270 CPU Vendor: GenuineIntel HTT and Streaming SIMD Extensions features: HTT : 1 MMX : 1 SSE : 1 SSE2 : 1 SSE3 : 1 SSSE3 : 1 SSE4.1: 0 SSE4.2: 0 Do you want me to post a complete set of supported Intel technologies for Intel Atom N270 CPU?
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
This is a short follow up and please take a look at: Forum topic: Intel ATOM SSE3_ATOM optimization under Windows 32-bit -O3 Web-link: http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/281134 Note: There is a very good post ( #2 ) by TimP regarding Intel Atom and http://ark.intel.com
0 Kudos