Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Q&A: Intel Performance Power Monitor Plug-in for Google Desktop

Intel_Software_Netw1

These questions were received by Intel Software Network Support about the Intel Performance Power Monitor Plug-in for Google Desktop, followed by the responses received:

Q. Will this work on AMD processors?

A. Yes, this will work on most AMD processors, there is nothing included that is Intel-specific.

-------

Gina B.
Intel Software Network Support
http://www.intel.com/software
email: ISN.support@intel.com

Intel is a registered trademark of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.

*Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
alex_brain
Beginner
Hi! I downloaded Power Monitor Plug-in, I installed it, but nothing happened. I didn't see the panel on the Google sidebar. What can I do?
0 Kudos
Richard_W_Intel
Employee
Hi, Sorry you aren't having success with the Performance Power Monitor Gadget. I will do my best to help you out here. The Gadget is a COM object and if you were able to install it without any errors indicating that it wasn't successful I would recommend you going to the root:program filesIntelPerformance Powerin directory and from a command prompt window type in "regsvr32 /u IntelPPW.dll" and then retype in "regsvr32 IntelPPW.dll". This should register the plug-in with the operating system allowing Google Destktop Sidebar to load the program. If this still doesn't work then I would be happy to see what else I can do but I would need more information, such as if the IntelPPW.dll actually got installed correctly, if Google Desktop was install successfully and what type of Operating System and laptop it is being installed on. Hope this helps some. Thanks again for the download and I will do my best to help you with what I can do. Rich
0 Kudos
alex_brain
Beginner

When I typed in "regsvr32 /u IntelPPW.dll", I got the error message "The module IntelPPW.dll was loaded, but the call to DllUnregisterServer failed with error code 0x80070005".

I guess Google Desktop Sidebar was installed correctly, becauseother Gadgets are working excellent.

The type of Operating System isGenuine Windows Vista Home Premium, the type of laptop is Toshiba Satellite A215-S4697.

I appreciate you desire to help me, thank you!

0 Kudos
Richard_W_Intel
Employee
So what the error message indicates is that your access is denied. My guess is that the gadget may not have been successfully registered as well. Are you running as administrator in windows? What you can try is in the start menu type cmd at the start, then right click on cmd.exe and select run as administrator. CD to the directory where the IntelPPW.dll is located and do a regsvr32 IntelPPW.dll and see if that works. This should register when running as administrator. I believe the Microsoft User Access Control (UAC) is blocking the program to run. let me know if this works. I hope this helps some.
thanks
--Rich
0 Kudos
alex_brain
Beginner
Thanks a lot! That works!!!!
0 Kudos
alex_brain
Beginner

But I don't know why The discharge rate is 0 and I can't see time remaining...

Thanks! Alex

0 Kudos
Richard_W_Intel
Employee
Hi again,

Sorry about the hassle, I haven't seen this problem as of yet. So here is what we can try. Click on the down arrow of the gadget "v" and then the options. then click on view log. The log should have both and the drain rate graphs. see if they get updated when you plug-in and out the power. if it doesn't then maybe the security is blocking the battery update as well. just a guess since I haven't tried this without admin rights. I will. Does your cpu utilization and frequency work? thanks for finding the problems everything helps.

--R
0 Kudos
dredski
Beginner
I just tried to follow the instructions above after a successful install according to the installer. The above failed with a message saying successfully loaded but D11UNregisterserver failed 0x80070005. I have a Sony Vaio using Vista.
0 Kudos
dredski
Beginner
Not sure why but I didn't see all the other posts on this, I'll try the cmd option as I've had to use it before.
0 Kudos
dredski
Beginner
Bingo!
0 Kudos
Richard_W_Intel
Employee
Another suggestion to solve this could be open a new browser by going to the start, right click on the browser you are going to use and use the Run as administrator. This worked for me and I didn't need to go to the cmd prompt method of installing since the browser was running as administrator. After you can close the browser if you don't want to run as admin for other websites. thanks for your interest and help solving these issues.

--R
0 Kudos
arvand
Beginner
Another suggestion to solve this could be open a new browser by going to the start, right click on the browser you are going to use and use the Run as administrator. This worked for me and I didn't need to go to the cmd prompt method of installing since the browser was running as administrator. After you can close the browser if you don't want to run as admin for other websites. thanks for your interest and help solving these issues.

--R

Richard,

I had the initial problem with registering the .dll. Your fix worked but the gadget would still not show up in the side bar. So, I turned off windows UAC. The gadget installed fine and shows up. Only issue is that it doesn't show the charge/discharge variable which is why I installed this gadget (and google desktop) in the first place.

Is there a standalone intel application that does this? I don't need google desktop...

To answer your question earlier with:

I haven't seen this problem as of yet. So here is what we can try. Click on the down arrow of the gadget "v" and then the options. then click on view log. The log should have both and the drain rate graphs. see if they get updated when you plug-in and out the power. if it doesn't then maybe the security is blocking the battery update as well. just a guess since I haven't tried this without admin rights. I will. Does your cpu utilization and frequency work?

The log does not update. No matter whats going on the charge rate is 0 and the drain is 20-22. CPU utilization does work. Frequency shows a number. However, when I change my battery usage to "On the Road" or a mobile setting, the frequency should decrease but it doesn't. So not sure if the frequency is correct at all times.

0 Kudos