Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

RealSense Camera Not detected

Steve_M_
Beginner

Apologies for the rudimentary nature of this post, I fear there may be a few of these incoming, but:

The camera fails to be detected by any capture software, including:

Creative's own Live Central 3, Google Hangouts, RealSense's own capture tools and tracking software.

Environment:

Windows 8.1 (fully updated), Intel i5 3570k processor, USB3.0 connection.

Installed RSSDK, and Audio Update driver.

Firmware upgrade installer fails to detect the camera.

Running the tutorial app correctly lists the installed SDK modules, and the sdk_info.exe viewer shows the camera virtual driver, the depth camera manager service as RUNNING, and all other relevant modules installed properly as far as I can determine.

Windows device manager sees that the audio component and the camera virtual driver are connected, and importantly, the audio control panel shows that the camera's microphone is receiving input!

Might anyone have any ideas as to why the device would be apparently successfully connected but fail to initialize the camera component?

0 Kudos
30 Replies
steve-vink
Beginner

This may have answered a question I have been asking.

You have a 3rd generation processor and the specifications state that a 4th generation processor is required. I have been asking if the camera will correctly initialise on a 3rd gen, albeit with limited functionality.

I am currently using the SDK on a 3rd gen processor with voice recognition and emotion detection. So the SDK is able to kickstart itself, but can the camera?

My camera should be arriving within the next couple of days, I will run a similar test. I have an i7-3517 on Win 8.1 (fully up to date) + USB 3.

0 Kudos
Colleen_C_Intel
Employee

Can we go back to the firmware upgrade installer - what software were you using as a FWU tool?

0 Kudos
Steve_M_
Beginner

@steve-vink:

Admittedly I didn't expect the 3rd vs 4th generation proc to be as strict a requirement, if that proves to be the case. I'd very much appreciate hearing how testing proceeds on your end.

@Colleen Culberston:

The firmware upgrade tool was the one from the realsense sdk page:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/realsense/intel-realsense-sdk-for-windows

downloaded from this link:

http://support.creative.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?catID=218&CatName=Web+Cameras&subCatID=231&subCatName=MIDI+Keyboards&prodID=22257&prodName=Intel+RealSense+Developer+Kit&bTopTwenty=1&VARSET=prodfaq:PRODFAQ_22257,VARSET=CategoryID:218&;

0 Kudos
steve-vink
Beginner

I received my camera today, and I've run through the SDK examples.

Firstly though - plugging in the camera. I put it in the first USB port of 4. In Device Manager I could see the Realsense camera driver. When I ran the demos, it didn't appear, although in the voice recognition demo, I could see the camera as an audio device. Sure enough, it was listed under audio devices in Device Manager.

I unplugged and put in port 2 - the same result.

Next, port 3 and voila, I get 3 devices:

• 3D Camera Front Depth
  • 3D Camera Front RGB
  • 3D Camera Virtual Driver.

Most of the demos work. The only one I had trouble with was the object tracker, but it's possible this demo is bugged in C# (can anyone comment?). Itt couldn't find a stream, but the raw stream demo is fine. It works for depth, colour, UV, IR, and projection.

I think my initial issue is that the USB ports on one side of the laptop are USB 2, and on the other they are USB 3.

0 Kudos
Steve_M_
Beginner

Fascinating. Good to hear that you have met with success and that the 3rd gen proc is not a problem for you.

Secured a 4th gen proc here and it is up and running as well, but from your example it sounds like I should try ALL of the ports on the other machine just to be sure (even though they all claim to be USB 3.0).

0 Kudos
Avan_T
Novice

I have same issue. I lost full day for check but camera cannot detect with usb3.0

my usb3.0 "Fresco xHCI (USB3) controller FL1000 Serial"

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410 CPU @ 2.30Ghz

Window 8.1, Memory 8gb

i also check with other notebook core i3 it cannot detect camera

0 Kudos
Yvan_R_
Beginner

Same problem here.

• I am running Windows 8.1, patches up-to-date.
  • Plugged directly into USB3.0 port
  • 2nd gen Core i7 i7-2600K
  • also tried Ivy Bridge i7 laptop
  • Tried every USB 3.0 port
  • Device manager shows a camera called RealSense virtual driver or something like that
  • Not recognized by any of the same applications or the Firmware upgrader.
0 Kudos
Erik_Putrycz
Beginner

My dev computer is an AMD - I have ASMedia 1042 USB3 controller and same issue... Camera is recognized but can't upgrade firmware or run any SDK sample. This 4th gen requirement is disappointing... I still will try with my i7 laptop tomorrow.

Erik.

0 Kudos
yosun
Innovator

Just a note that on HP Sprout there is some sort of multiple RealSense camera issue. Tried plugging in the new RealSense cam I received - it's recognized as a duplicate RealSense in system settings.

Also the built-in RealSense for HP Sprout does not seem to allow for SDK access to depth-related items

0 Kudos
Sudipto_C_
Beginner

Hello,

I have a Core i5-2450M, 4GB RAM, running windows 8.1 pro, is there a chance the camera would run on this?

The microphone seems to be working fine, but the camera is not detected.

I installed the driver but the firmware upgrade fails to detect the camera. Plugging in the camera makes the usual sound but there isn't a notification or anything popping up in the system tray (like it usually does with usb flash drives). The capture viewer tool freezes when I run it with the camera plugged in but runs fine when I run it without the camera plugged in (using the VGA webcam of my laptop).

In the device manager, under Imaging devices, there are 3 entries for the camera: Depth, RGB and virtual driver.

I have the ASMedia XHCI controller for the only USB 3.0 port I have.

Reading this thread and the other threads, I don't think the requirement of a 4th gen processor is a must, but I'm not sure whether r  my 2nd gen i5 will be sufficient or not. Also, the camera should work without the firmware upgrade too, right? So, I guess the firmware upgrade is not what's stopping the camera to run for me. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Dirk_R_
Beginner

Sudipto C. wrote:

I have a Core i5-2450M, 4GB RAM, running windows 8.1 pro, is there a chance the camera would run on this?

I have the same processor. It is a 2nd Generation processor and doesn't work correctly.
The microphone and voice samples are running well, but not the camera.
I've bought an Intel NUC now.

0 Kudos
Sudipto_C_
Beginner

Hi Dirk,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Which NUC have you bought? I looked at the   BOXDN2820FYKH0, thinking which one to buy.

The hardware requirements are pretty tight this time :(

0 Kudos
Dirk_R_
Beginner

Hi Sudipto,

I have a D54250WYKH. Have a look here:
https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/536472#comment-1806415

0 Kudos
Akash_Yadav
Beginner

Dissapointed!! My dev PC is uses AMD processor. How are we supposed to develop our applications with such strict requirements. 

0 Kudos
steve-vink
Beginner

A quote from Shubhankar in another thread:

I ran all the samples from the development kit browser and all of them are working fine for me. I have a 2nd Gen Intel i7-2670QM processor running Windows 8.1 Pro on it. So the processor mustn't be a problem.  

One thing in common with my success on a 3rd gen processor is that they are both i7 processors. Perhaps this is the key.

0 Kudos
Dirk_R_
Beginner

steve-vink wrote:

A quote from Shubhankar in another thread:

I ran all the samples from the development kit browser and all of them are working fine for me. I have a 2nd Gen Intel i7-2670QM processor running Windows 8.1 Pro on it. So the processor mustn't be a problem.  

One thing in common with my success on a 3rd gen processor is that they are both i7 processors. Perhaps this is the key.

No, I've a Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2620M CPU @ 2.70GHz, which is not working.

(But I've bought an Intel NUC now)

0 Kudos
Talionar
Beginner

I'm faced with the same problems on every machine i tried to get camera work. And i get it after installing USB 3.0 drivers for my motherboard in one case and in another (for asus p9x79 deluxe) after installing USB boost tool from asus. So maybe there is USB related problem - so try to reinstall drivers with plugged in camera! (in all cases i have ASMedia usb controller)

0 Kudos
Sudipto_C_
Beginner

Hi,

is an Intel motherboard required too?

I'm planning to buy an Intel Core i3 4130 4th gen processor and an Asus B85M-G motherboard. Costs a lot lesser than the NUC box with DH87RL or DB85FL motherboard and the i3 4130.

This should be fine right? I just hope everything works, i'm not being able to start building my application :(

0 Kudos
Talionar
Beginner

Sudipto C. wrote:

Hi,

is an Intel motherboard required too?

I'm planning to buy an Intel Core i3 4130 4th gen processor and an Asus B85M-G motherboard. Costs a lot lesser than the NUC box with DH87RL or DB85FL motherboard and the i3 4130.

This should be fine right? I just hope everything works, i'm not being able to start building my application :(

Look my thread about error -301. Intel MB isn't requirement, but i think usb controller from intel is. So check the referense of your motherboard before byuing

0 Kudos
Colleen_C_Intel
Employee

The requirement is for an Intel Core i5 or i7. i3 is not included.   (My error, apparently is supported in Gold R1. If you have intensive graphics, I would certainly suggest the best processor you can afford :>}_
A true USB 3.0 is probably the most important absolute requirement.Then Windows 8.1 (or higher)....(USB 3.0 in Windows 8.1 should be able to use the driver supplied by Windows).  We know that the Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 0100(Microsoft) works. Check in your Device Manager under USB controllers. There are also ways in Windows 8.1 to determine 3.0. (Besides the blue port and the Super speed symbol.0

0 Kudos