Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Regular Freezes when switch to Emulator Tab

Nick_F_2
New Contributor III

I am suffering with regular XDK V3088 freezes when switching to the Emulator tab. When I make a minor code change and go back to the emulator it will freeze around 20% to 30% of the time.

I have turned off the refresh function to stop crashes, but the freezes are equally as annoying.

I cannot do anything. Waiting does not resolve the issue. I have to force quit XDK (Mac El Capitan i7 with 8GB RAM) and restart. I am them prompted for a safe start or normal start.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Anusha_M_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for the information Nick. Unless this problem can be reproduced, it cannot be fixed. And I am trying to reproduce it. There have been some similar issues. Maybe some other user's steps will help reproduce the issue. 

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Nick -- try using the Debug tab as an alternative. If you switch to the Develop tab and make changes and then switch back to the Debug tab it will prompt you to reload the project. It's not as obvious as the Emulate tab, but it has the same effect. It also provides a much higher-fidelity debug environment.

0 Kudos
Amrita_C_Intel
Employee

Are you using app designer?

0 Kudos
Nick_F_2
New Contributor III

Yes I am.

0 Kudos
Amrita_C_Intel
Employee

Ok! I would recommend using twitter bootstrap. And for further details please see this FAQ: https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/faqs/app-designer#best-app-designer-framework

And they are in the order what we recommend.

0 Kudos
Nick_F_2
New Contributor III

Using Twitter Bootstrap is fine for a new project, but this is a project I have been working on for some time, using Jquery

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

I recommend you use an external editor to work on your source files (such as Sublime or Brackets) while you keep the Emulate tab open. This way you don't need to keep switching between tabs, which appears to be the thing that causes a freeze. Also, please update to the hotfix release of 3240. Using an external editor, rather than the built-in editor, is perfectly fine, the tool is designed to allow that. I do it all the time.

0 Kudos
Nick_F_2
New Contributor III

HI

I am now using brackets to edit code however there are still some issues.

Crashes on refreshing after updating code outside of XDK.

The need to use designer and then switch back to Emulator can still cause a freeze.

0 Kudos
Amrita_C_Intel
Employee

As Paul mentioned did you update the XDK version to 3240 ?

0 Kudos
Nick_F_2
New Contributor III

Yes I always run the latest version available.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Please also disable the auto-refresh in the Emulate tab, as described here > https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-xdk/topic/624417

0 Kudos
Nick_F_2
New Contributor III

Hi Paul 

I have already done that as per my original thread.

Thanks

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Nick -- sorry, but we haven't identified any other workarounds. :-( It is a known problem and a high importance issue has been filed. We'll add to the sticky note regarding this problem if we find additional workarounds. The only other suggestion I have is to use the Debug tab rather than the Emulate tab. It will allow you to reload and restart the app when you make changes to your files. If you are not prompted by the Debug tab to reload changes sources you can force it by clicking the "bug" icon in the toolbar while you are debugging in the Debug tab, that will force a reload of your app's sources.

0 Kudos