Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Supported [/recommended] plugin for video playback

David_S_1
Beginner

Hi,

There appear to be several video playback plugins available, can anyone recommend something that works best with Cordova-crosswalk?

Is my understanding that video plays natively in the iOS webview correct, and so a plugin is only needed for Android?

This page says:

intel.xdk.player  RETIRED

For playing audio and video media files and streams.

Under Construction... Additional details and alternatives to be provided soon...

The recast Cordova plugin for the intel.xdk.player API is located in this 01.org GitHub repo.

So is "cordova-plugin-intel-xdk-player" still a good choice?

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

We recommend that you do not use those old Intel XDK plugins, they are not maintained and are not guaranteed to work. Try searching Google for some Cordova video player plugins.

0 Kudos
David_S_1
Beginner

OK, thanks Paul.

My initial test shows that local html 5 video is playable in an Android webview without any plugin, albeit with some minor (and hopefully surmountable) cosmetic/functional issues.

Any tips on playing embedded youtube? Code I've tried is:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/....................?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

But it's not loading.

Thanks

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

For programming help I recommend you search Stack Overflow for Cordova solutions. The XDK creates a standard Cordova app, so programming solutions you find on the web for Cordova (aka PhoneGap) applications should work. Keep in mind that using Crosswalk as part of your Android solution will give the best HTML5 support in the application webview.

0 Kudos
David_S_1
Beginner

Thanks again Paul.

Got the youtube embed working with this: YouTube Player API Reference for iframe Embeds:

I needed a *youtube* entry in the build settings <allow-navigation> field, to overcome a 404 error on fetching the iframe_api src.

Thanks

0 Kudos