Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Text Rotation

Intel_C_Intel
Employee
When modifying the very useful graphical routines at MVSDF98SamplesScigraph, I encountered in Sglowlvl.f90 the routine SETGTEXTVECTOR(1,0) ? rotate 90 deg clockwise. I can guess how it works, which is just as well, because it is not mentioned anywhere in the documentation, even now that I have upgraded to CVF 6.5A. The only information I can find is in the interfaces in DFLIB for it and the related GETGTEXTVECTOR. When are we going to be let in on the secret?

Neither SETGTEXTVECTOR nor SETTEXTROTATION would rotate Y-axis titles using the SANSSERIF Font ?MS Sans Serif?h24w12b, but would rotate Times New Roman ?Times New Roman?h26W13b. The error generated on failure was ?Generic Graphics Error? which was not very illuminating. Why do they succeed for some but not others ? are there any rules?

The Programmer?s Guide contains a minor error in Section 13 ? ?Using Fonts from the Graphics Library? p4 of 5 in saying ?SETGTEXTROTATION can set the text?s orientation in one-degree increments.? It should have said ?0.1-degree increments.?.

Bear of little brain
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
It probably only works on TrueType or scalable fonts, and not on
raster fonts.
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
jparsly,

Spot on! Many Thanks! A pity the documentation for SETGTEXTROTATION does not mention this for those like me who don?t think too hard about what sort of font it is. I am sending a message to vf-support on this and the other points that I raised.

Bear of little brain.
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Doc's will be fixed for v6.6.
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Hi, I realize that this is a WinAPI thing, however, there is no good reason why image text cannot be very easily rotated in whole increments of 90 degrees. Even mainframe OS' applications can do that. They do only support incremental rotation (increments in non-multiples of 90 degrees) or scaling on vector symbol sets.
0 Kudos