Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

The PC stop working whenever an error occurs in CD/DVD reading ..

Master-Eng_-Pro
Beginner
Hello: I have experience in many PCs that whenever an error occurs or a delay in reading the data on a CD /DVD th whole PC comes to an halt until the reading process is not complete or stopped. this happens on any PC such as P4/DUALCORE/QUADCORE/CORE2DUO i have checked this with increseing of the MEMORY even then no change . has any one address this issue, /any solution to it. thanks
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Tux__the_Linux_Pengu
Hello: I have experience in many PCs that whenever an error occurs or a delay in reading the data on a CD /DVD th whole PC comes to an halt until the reading process is not complete or stopped. this happens on any PC such as P4/DUALCORE/QUADCORE/CORE2DUO i have checked this with increseing of the MEMORY even then no change . has any one address this issue, /any solution to it. thanks

Is your situation similar to this one? If it is, you could try some of the solutions that were suggested in the link; just don't try clean install :-).

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
Richard_Hartley
Beginner
Sometimes the rush to market by hardware mfrs, can lead to buggy firmware being RTM'd (Release To Manufacture).
Check the manufacturer's website for firmware updates.
You might also need a floppy disk drive +1 blank disk and DOS boot disk. As some firmware updates can only be done from pure DOS environment. Although It's not as prevalent these days, but could still be an issue with some vendors.
0 Kudos
Taronyu
Beginner
I know this issue when my drive has trouble reading a disc (e. g. scratched, etc.). When this happens, most time the operating system's IO process is blocking your system. The only solutions I could think of is to check if there is a newer drive firmware or replace the drive (if this tends to happen in other PCs with the same drive too).
0 Kudos