Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17060 Discussions

Unable to Install Parallel Studio - Access Denied

dabbler1
Beginner
This is the downloaded evaluation copy. Sets up downloaded files in C:\Program Files\Intel with no trouble. Starts the install to C:\Intel\ and halts - Access denied. Was able to store downloaded files but not set up installation folders and files in the same Program Files folder.

I have no problem pasting files in there in Explorer.

Running Windows XP Pro sp3 with all latest upddates

Any suggestions gratefully received.
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Hubert_H_Intel
Employee
Quoting - dabbler1
This is the downloaded evaluation copy. Sets up downloaded files in C:Program FilesIntel with no trouble. Starts the install to C:Intel and halts - Access denied. Was able to store downloaded files but not set up installation folders and files in the same Program Files folder.

I have no problem pasting files in there in Explorer.

Running Windows XP Pro sp3 with all latest upddates

Any suggestions gratefully received.

0 Kudos
dabbler1
Beginner
Hi Hubert,
Not sure if you intended a post here and left it off.

A couple more things, I was logged in as administrator, and I tried reinstalling another program downloaded from the internet and had no problem.

Is this something to do with the registry rather than the Program Files folder?
0 Kudos
Hubert_H_Intel
Employee
Quoting - dabbler1
Hi Hubert,
Not sure if you intended a post here and left it off.

A couple more things, I was logged in as administrator, and I tried reinstalling another program downloaded from the internet and had no problem.

Is this something to do with the registry rather than the Program Files folder?

Sorry, I think I did a mistake so that my replywas not posted correctly.
The 'Access Denied' error is usually the result of a mismatching user profile. Pls. right-click on C:Intel > Properties > Security and look what's displayed. As Admin however you should have all rights to install the Intel Parallel Studio under C:Intel (was this your intent to install it there? Default is C:Program FilesIntel).
Is the other program you mentioned also an Intel Tool and did you install it into C:Intel too?
Hubert.
0 Kudos
dabbler1
Beginner

Hi Hubert,

I successfully downloaded and installed the Nehalem Smoke Demo. This successfully created and used its own sub folder in that same C:Program FilesIntel.

I separately downloaded the parallel Studio to my laptop and got the same error attempting to install there. Access Denied on Program Files.

The problem does seem to be in the Parallel Studio Installation files.....

0 Kudos
Hubert_H_Intel
Employee
I checked the Parallel Studio eval fileset, but found no problem at all. What's the file you downloaded, i.e. name, size and checksum. Are your permissions on C:Program Files or C:Intel ok (right-click on folder -> Properties -> Security)? Hubert.

0 Kudos
dabbler1
Beginner
I checked the Parallel Studio eval fileset, but found no problem at all. What's the file you downloaded, i.e. name, size and checksum. Are your permissions on C:Program Files or C:Intel ok (right-click on folder -> Properties -> Security)? Hubert.

File as displayed in explorer is parallel_studio_setup.exe 441,752 KB download on 10/4/2009 at 3:58pm

In properties, disk - 431 MB (452,353,816 bytes) Size on Disk 431 MB (452,362,240 bytes) - FAT file system

When I right click on cProgram FilesIntel to show properties, I do get a read-only flag set which refuses to go away after turning it off, but this did not seem to bother the downloaded SmokeSetUpLite.exe when it installed in the very same folder, or any other installs I have done in the past.

0 Kudos
Hubert_H_Intel
Employee
Could you please verify the checksum of your downloaded file which should be:
parallel_studio_setup.exe; Size = 452353816; Cksum = 808945686
I did installations on x86 and x86_64 machines with this fileset and found no problems at all.

The read-flag is always on and cannot be changed; this is not a problem as you also mentioned.
But the Security settings on the folders may be a problem. Pls. could you check.

If you cannot find any irregularities, try to start the setup again from the extracted fileset, default: C:Program FilesIntelDownloadparallel_studioSetup.exe
For test purposes choose a different path.
Hubert.

0 Kudos
dabbler1
Beginner
Could you please verify the checksum of your downloaded file which should be:
parallel_studio_setup.exe; Size = 452353816; Cksum = 808945686
I did installations on x86 and x86_64 machines with this fileset and found no problems at all.

The read-flag is always on and cannot be changed; this is not a problem as you also mentioned.
But the Security settings on the folders may be a problem. Pls. could you check.

If you cannot find any irregularities, try to start the setup again from the extracted fileset, default: C:Program FilesIntelDownloadparallel_studioSetup.exe
For test purposes choose a different path.
Hubert.

Sorry, don't know how to derive the checksum. Do not see it in explorer properties or file properties. A Google search mentions encrypted files. Downloaded an MS Encryption Verifier and will experiment with that.

Have attempted to launch the install from the extracted files within the folder on my desktop and my laptop with the same result so am not optimistic about corruption being the possible reason. Have also recently downloaded and installed an entire MySQL suite from Sun Systems with no problems. Just rerun such an install successfully.

Email notification of posts on this forum would be helpful. Have not seen where that option might be offered.

0 Kudos
JenniferJ
Quoting - dabbler1
Email notification of posts on this forum would be helpful. Have not seen where that option might be offered.
Go to the 1st posting, on its top, select "Thread Tools", then you'll see the subscribe.

For the access denied issue, try with Explorer"Tools > Folder Options > View > Advanced > uncheck Use Simple Sharing". I found it from http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=101&threadID=251390&messageID=2408434

Jennifer
0 Kudos
dabbler1
Beginner
Thanks Jennifer, I am now subscribed.

Disabling Simple File Sharing as you suggest was the very first thing I tried before posting here. It is disabled.

Was also attempting to "take ownership" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810881
But was unable to locate a security tab in folder properties. Not sure if this would help and why I only have a problem with Parallel Studio installs.

0 Kudos