Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Unable to run execs

jivifair
Beginner

We've just acquired a MIC and I'm doing some tests, unsuccessfully so far.

I'm compiling the int_sin.f90 that's in the directory /opt/intel/composerxe/Samples/en_US/Fortran/optimize.

This creates me the binary file in_sin.x and when I try to execute it I get:

$ ./int_sin.x
-bash: ./int_sin.x: cannot execute binary file

Some useful info about the file and my linux version:

$file int_sin.x
int_sin.x: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.4.0, not stripped

$uname -a
Linux centos6 2.6.32-358.23.2.el6.x86_64 
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

What you haven't shown is how you compiled the source file to produce that binary; however, I suspect you perhaps used something similar to this:

ifort -mmic -o int_sin.x int_sin.f90

That command-line produces a native Xeon Phi™ executable that will only run directly on the coprocessor and not your host system. When run on the host it fails as you showed.

I’m not sure what your exact interest is, however, you could review the Getting Started Tutorial: Using the Intel® Xeon Phi™ Coprocessor for information about using the offload language extensions or Building a Native Application for Intel® Xeon Phi™ Coprocessors article for details about building and running native applications.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

What you haven't shown is how you compiled the source file to produce that binary; however, I suspect you perhaps used something similar to this:

ifort -mmic -o int_sin.x int_sin.f90

That command-line produces a native Xeon Phi™ executable that will only run directly on the coprocessor and not your host system. When run on the host it fails as you showed.

I’m not sure what your exact interest is, however, you could review the Getting Started Tutorial: Using the Intel® Xeon Phi™ Coprocessor for information about using the offload language extensions or Building a Native Application for Intel® Xeon Phi™ Coprocessors article for details about building and running native applications.

0 Kudos
jivifair
Beginner

yes, that was exactly the one that I used it. Thank you!

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

You're welcome and thank you for the Best Reply tag.

I also forgot to add to my earlier reply that Offload specific Samples are provided with the Composer XE products demonstrating the offload language extensions. They can be found under:

Fortran code examples: <install-dir>/Samples/en_US/Fortran/mic_samples/LEO_Fortran_intro/
C code examples: <install_dir>/Samples/en_US/C++/mic_samples/intro_sampleC/

There is more info about those in the Offload Programming: Fortran and C Code Example article.

Wish you well going forward!

0 Kudos