Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Unhelpful Code Suggestions Problem

Namık_Zafer_E_
New Contributor I

Webstorm, Visual Studio Code suggest codes in Cordova projects.

I saw that IntelXDK contains simple and unhelpful code suggestions

For example, I added two "js" scripts to the html file. I added function to first "js" file. I want to call this function to second "js" file but Intel XDK cannot find and autocomplete this function name when i am writing.

Why does not Intel XDK contain code suggestions like the other IDEs?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Alex_Hang
New Contributor II
You can use other code editors while working with Intel XDK, like Sublime Text, which is free and very good. Just open the Index.html in sublime text
0 Kudos
Namık_Zafer_E_
New Contributor I

We as Intel XDK users do not have to use other text editors, if Intel XDK is a complete IDE

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Namık Zafer E. wrote:

We as Intel XDK users do not have to use other text editors, if Intel XDK is a complete IDE

The XDK is not a "complete IDE" -- it is a collection of mostly standard open source tools designed to simplify the process of building and debugging apps. Please note that we focusing our efforts on IoT app development and, as a result, have retired several of the mobile app tools and will be retiring the mobile app build system at the end of June.

As Alex points out, we have always supported the use of external editors since it is very hard to replicate all the many features that people find in their favorite editor. In fact, the editor in the XDK is Brackets, which can be downloaded and used externally to the XDK.

0 Kudos
Namık_Zafer_E_
New Contributor I

XDK is an Integrated Development Environment for creating IoT applications using JavaScript. With it, you can quickly and easily connect and build IoT applications using JavaScript on the IoT device. You can extend your application to your phone or tablet to control or read data from the IoT device by creating an HTML5/Cordova companion app. (https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-xdk)

I saw that Javascript and Cordova applications for IoT can be developed from Intel XDK but it does not suggest code like other IDEs. Helpful code suggestion must be on Intel focus because it is used in IoT application too.

I got some experience. Details below;

I downloaded the last stable version of Brackets code editor. I worked on it a while. I can see that this editor is helpful to suggest code.

I know that Intel XDK uses Brackets code editor in its core.

Why does not  brackets editor of Intel XDK suggest  code more helpfully?

0 Kudos