Welcome_L_
Beginner

Hello ,

Unity version : 4.6.6f2

Device : R200

Unity sample scenes 1 - 5

With all the samples scenes within the Unity SDK - I get this issue :

Unable to initialize all modalities

As I am using Unity 4.x - I am told from this https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/realsense-r200-camera

article (last para) that I should be coping 32 bit dll files from

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\RSSDK\bin\win32

and replace them at "Plugins" and "Plugins.Managed" folders respectively. And the file for "Plugins" would be libpxccpp2c.dll and for "Plugins.Managed" would be libpxcclr.unity.dll. I have purchased version of Unity 4.6.6f2

MY INTENTION:

I am trying to bring in hand gesture recognition - so was planning to learn from the samples provided.

Thank you and any help is much appreciated.

P.S : Is it possible to recognize simple voice commands thro' Unity and R200?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

In the case of the 32-bit Unity 4.6, hand-copying the files over is a bad suggestion by the documentation, as it's only really necessary if you're developing in a platform other than Unity.  The SDK provides an easy and reliable way to import the DLLs into your project, via an application called RSUnityToolkit. It is in the folder RSSDK > Framework > Unity.

Open your project in Unity and then run this program and it will import all of the required files into the project automatically.  If you have already hand-copied them over then it will overwrite those earlier versions.

Hand-copying of the DLLs only really becomes necessary if you are using Unity 5, because RSUnityFramework imports the 32-bit DLLs but Unity 5 is 64-bit, so needs the 64.bit version of the DLLs in the bin > x64 folder.  BTW, Unity 5 (now up to 5.1) provides hugely superior performance for the RealSense camera as it is optimized for VR and AR devices and it has the great features in the free Personal version that used to be exclusive to the $1500 USD Pro version.

Edit: if you do decide to go the Unity 5 route, the easiest way to get the camera up and running is to run the RSUnityToolkit application and then go to the Plugins and Plugins.managed folders, delete the 32.bit DLLs there and hand-import the 64-bit versions of the two DLLs you mentioned from the x64 folder.

Edit edit: if you want to test out the samples first as a learning experience, it is probably best to use Unity 4.6 with them first before making the change to Unity 5, since Unity 5 changes existing projects to remove bits that are now considered obsolete since Unity 4.6, and this can break the samples.

0 Kudos
Welcome_L_
Beginner

Hello Marty,

Thank you for your immediate reply. I highly appreciate it. I did what you recommend for Unity 4.6 But I have to say that no improvements. Just the same.

Steps: 

1. Created a new empty Unity Project.  

2. Imported the "RSUnityToolkit" unity package from C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\RSSDK\framework\Unity into the empty projec.t  

3. Loaded the first sample scene "Sample1 - Translation"  

4. Ran the scene out of the box in the editor 

Screenshots:

Project Folder after importing the package.

http://s23.postimg.org/aq1b18k3f/Capture_Project_Folder.png

Scene View upon running Sample 1.

Scene View the errors

So, I did not hand copy anything and I am not sure why I am not able to run any of the project, either.

Please let me know - if I am missing something. The R200 works well as I did try the "Capture Viewer" tool from Intel SDK sample applications.

I was able to see the camera feed.

Thank you once again, Marty.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I suspect that the clue for them not working is "R200".  The Unity samples were made for the F200 camera that came out before the R200.  They are not the same camera, and the R200 lacks some functions the F200 has, whilst adding other functions that the F200 lacks.  The missing features from the R200 include hand joint-tracking, I believe.

The page below should tell you what you need to know about what the R200 will and will not run.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/new-in-realsense-r3

It says:

"The R200 shares Blob and Face Tracking with the F200,  but only the R200 supports Scene Perception, Enhanced Photography, and 3D capture of Head and Body,  Also, unlike the F200, the R200's graphics driver must support OpenCL* 1.2. 
A quick way to check which modes are supported by which cameras, check the Samples which are divided into front, rear, and both."

0 Kudos