Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17060 Discussions

Which one for Games Dev

myrddian
Beginner
Hi There

I am programming games during off-work hours with my friends, and I have been testing both the Intel Professional Compiler and the Parallel Studio stuff.

I was wondering if somebody could point me to the right direction in regards which one would be better suitable to the job. I do know that the Compiler Pro Series has the MKL IPP, TBP and the PGO stuff, and I am I do know that Parallel Studio has the IPP and TBP.

Essentially we can only afford one or the other, we cant afford vTune if we go with either one, so that makes the decision on the Compiler Pro a bit difficult. Given that the profiler on the Parallel studio is weak (regards to single threaded application) I do appreciate its memory leak testing.

What we are after essentially is something that will give us the best bang for buck essentially, as well as good optimisation, SSE support and threading (if we do any, since its all monolithic atm).

I am not so sure I am entirely convinced on the MKL even though I know a few places were it would be useful but its outside the scope of this current project

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Vladimir_T_Intel
Quoting - myrddian
Hi There

I am programming games during off-work hours with my friends, and I have been testing both the Intel Professional Compiler and the Parallel Studio stuff.

I was wondering if somebody could point me to the right direction in regards which one would be better suitable to the job. I do know that the Compiler Pro Series has the MKL IPP, TBP and the PGO stuff, and I am I do know that Parallel Studio has the IPP and TBP.

Essentially we can only afford one or the other, we cant afford vTune if we go with either one, so that makes the decision on the Compiler Pro a bit difficult. Given that the profiler on the Parallel studio is weak (regards to single threaded application) I do appreciate its memory leak testing.

What we are after essentially is something that will give us the best bang for buck essentially, as well as good optimisation, SSE support and threading (if we do any, since its all monolithic atm).

I am not so sure I am entirely convinced on the MKL even though I know a few places were it would be useful but its outside the scope of this current project

Hi,

You might find useful the discussion regarding choice between Compiler Pro and Composer here.

I'd disagree with the assertion that the profiler [Parallel Amplifier] on the Parallel Studio is weak (regards to single threaded application). You can benefit from Hotspot analysis even if your application is single threaded. And you'd have great tool for further multithreading development. I believe you'll get to multithreading sooner or later, anyway.

I haven't heard any games being developed with using MKL (although, others might have). I believe that Parallel Studio will give you the bang for the buck since it contains all you need: powerful optimizing compiler, threading diagnostics tools, optimization tool and memory errors detection tool - all in one.

You're still hesitating? Download the evaluation version of the tools and try them out.

0 Kudos
David_M_Intel3
Employee
I think Vladimir gave a great suggestion - try an eval copy and make your selection.

It seems you are comparing Intel Parallel Studio to the Intel Compiler Pro product.

Please note these are very different items. Intel Software Products is offeringdistinct product lines right now, one is Intel Parallel Studio anotheris the HPC product line (Compiler Pro, VTune Performance Analyzer, Intel Thread Checker, MKL). Intel Parallel Studio targets windows C++ developers using Microsoft's Visual Studio. It extends its capabilities and offers the features a C++ developer wants for optimization and threading software for performance in a single product. For a similar set of features on the HPC product line you would need to purchase three or four different products. Both product lines offer compilers with many optimizations options, threading abstractions (Threading Building Blocks, OpenMP), performance libraries (IPP), performance analysis features and correctness checking. I think most developers will find that Parallel Studio has a rich set of features that will meet their needs quite well. The HPC productsoffer additional options or views and if these features are important to you, then you will find those features valuable (e.g. event based sampling for performance tuning).
0 Kudos