Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Wi-Fi connection and Bluetooth file transfer problems ( Android-to-WindowsXP )

SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II

[ Updated on December 17th, 2012 ]

I have a Wi-Fi connection problem with an Android device. So, a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.0 (7") could not connect to:
[cpp]
Security-Enabled Computer-to-Computer network ( over Wi-Fi )
Network Authentication: Open
Data Encryption: WEP
[/cpp]
Note: The device doesn't see that type of network!

However, it could connect to:
[cpp]
   Security-enabled wireless network
   Security-enabled wireless network (WPA)
   Security-enabled wireless network (WPA2)
   Unsecured wireless network
[/cpp]
Note: Verified in many places like cafees, airports, University of Calgary campus, etc.

Any ideas, tips or suggestions? Thank you in advance.

[ Summary as of December 17th, 2012 ]

A test with a MacBook ( Mac OS X v10.7.5 ) notebook was finally done and it successfully detected and connected to our Security-Enabled Computer-to-Computer network ( over Wi-Fi / Open / WEP ) created between several computers with Windows XP and Windows 7 OSs. The test was completed in less than 2 minutes without any issues and problems.

[ Summary as of December 4th, 2012 ]

- An update from Samsung for Android OS v4.0.4 ICS was recently installed on the tablet

- Wi-Fi Advanced Configuration Editor was installed on the tablet
  The application allows to see and edit advanced settings of a Wi-Fi network and it is
  downloaded from: market.android.com/details?id=org.marcus905.wifi.ace

- Linksys 'Compact Wireless-G USB Network' adapters are used on some desktop computers with Windows XP

- The following advanced settings of the 'Compact Wireless-G USB Network' adapter:

NetworkType
   ShowHiddenSSID
   WEPKeyUse
   SmartScan
   IEEE80211H
   WirelessMode
   CountryRegion
   CountryRegionABand
   AutoChannelSelect
   Channel

are considered as the most important and were modified many times during many tests

Note 1: NetworkType is set to 802.11 Ad Hoc

Note 2: Widest possible ranges for channels were selected:

CountryRegion ( Country Region 11G ) - #5 Channel ( 1 - 14 )
   CountryRegionABand ( Country Region 11A ) - #7 Channel ( 36 - 165 )

- Microsoft Network Monitor v3.4 was used on some desktop computers with Windows XP

- A Wi-Fi Signal Strength is always 'Excellent'

- A workaround based on a Bluetooth connection was considered, it works and tested. However, a transmittion speed and a distance between tablets and computers are two significant constraints:

A transmittion speed limitation of the Bluetooth connection - it takes too long to transmit large data files

A distance limitation of the Bluetooth connection - a tablet could be away ( many meters ) from a computer with Windows platform
  Notes:
  - That computer could be considered as a 'Bluetooth Server'
  - Some number of Bluetooth adapters are also needed 

0 Kudos
204 Replies
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>Regarding this forum thread, here are the responses from Intel Android WiFi team: >> >>It seems that you are trying to use ad-hoc/IBSS on stock ICS. Android doesn't really support ad-hoc networking completely... Thank you very much (!) for your response, Tao, and I will follow up. Best regards, Sergey
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Tao, I have a question: Did you try to use Wi-Fi from Android emulator, for example, with Intel x86 Atom System Image?
0 Kudos
Tao_W_Intel
Employee
Hi, Sergey, If you are interested, and you haven't done so, please have try with Intel emulator, and use it to develop some wonderful apps, which is one of reasons what most people come to this forum for.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...If you are interested, and you haven't done so, please have try with Intel emulator... Of course I will try it. I simply wanted to know that Android Emulator allows to use an existing Wi-Fi adapter on a Host-computer. For example, Microsoft's emulators for Windows CE and Windows Mobile allow to use external devices, for example a COM port.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
@Sergey What have you decided to do with your wifi connection problem? Will you use adhoc enablers or leave it alone?
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Hi Iliya, >>What have you decided to do with your wifi connection problem? I will look at Android OS source codes and it is already on my schedule. >>Will you use adhoc enablers or leave it alone? I've already installed a Wi-Fi Advanced Configuration Editor on the tablet but tt didn't help. I'll keep you informed on my progress.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
>>>I will look at Android OS source codes and it is already on my schedule.>>> Will not be a better option switching to infrastructure mode?
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...Will not be a better option switching to infrastructure mode? Unfortunately No because a router will be needed. That was actually on a list of possible solutions.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
>>>Unfortunately No because a router will be needed. That was actually on a list of possible solutions.>>> In home premises infrastructure mode is the mostly preferred type of wifi network connection.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>>>Unfortunately No because a router will be needed. That was actually on a list of possible solutions >> >>In home premises infrastructure mode is the mostly preferred type of wifi network connection. Imaging a customer who runs some data acquisition software on a couple of notebooks and one tablet working on batteries somewhere in the field. There are no power outlet(s) to plug in a router. Another requirement is as less as possible hardware overhead.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
>>>Imaging a customer who runs some data acquisition software on a couple of notebooks and one tablet working on batteries somewhere in the field. There are no power outlet(s) to plug in a route>>> Using p2p connection type in the case as you have described in your post is the rightful decision. >>>Another requirement is as less as possible hardware overhead.>>> Hardware overhead of what? If you are referring to some processing server to whom is connected tablet I'm sure that created overhead on the server side is manageable mostly by TCP/IP offload engine.Sadly you cannot eliminiate overhead of Interrupt driven packet processing,but it could be minimzed with the multicore CPU's albeit at price of synchronization. Both modes of operation (p2p and managed mode) could have similar wifi stack processing overhead which is performed by wifi adapter.Here I mean lowest level of operation like modulation/demodulation that is performed in adapter's hardware and abstracted from OS and CPU.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>>>Another requirement is as less as possible hardware overhead. >> >>Hardware overhead of what? A router is considered as a "Hardware Overhead" and it is not related to some hardware interrupts etc..
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
>>>A router is considered as a "Hardware Overhead" and it is not related to some hardware interrupts etc..>>> I see I was thinking about the something completeley different.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...Will not be a better option switching to infrastructure mode? Hi Iliya, Tomorrow I will do a test with a Mac notebook and our Windows P2P network. I'll provide all the rest details and results as soon as the test is completed. Best regards, Sergey PS: Let's see if it will detect the network...
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
>>>Tomorrow I will do a test with a Mac notebook and our Windows P2P network. I'll provide all the rest details and results as soon as the test is completed.>>> I will be very interested to see the results of your test.As you probably have known it,everything related to wifi connection boils down to the vendor's custom implementation of 802.11 and all of its amendments.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
Hi Sergey! Have you solved Bluetooth related problems?
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...Have you solved Bluetooth related problems? Bluetooth is working but it is not stable. As I already described some time ago it requires to re-boot all computers after some number of file transfers. Wi-Fi test will be done shortly. I hope so.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
>>>Wi-Fi test will be done shortly. I hope so.>>> Ad hoc networking between Mac and Pc. Please follow this link :https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2119641?start=0&tstart=0
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Hi Iliya, >>...Ad hoc networking between Mac and Pc. >>Please follow this link :https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2119641?start=0&tstart=0 Thank you. There is a very good post from a user 'Sig'. >>...Tomorrow I will do a test with a Mac notebook and our Windows P2P network... I spent some time on preparations and verifying that our network is working and at least three computers with different Windows OSs are connected and, unfortunately, an owner of the Mac notebook didn't show up. I'll try arrange the test again.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
>>> an owner of the Mac notebook didn't show up. I'll try arrange the test again.>>> Are you referring here to adhoc connection type?
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...Are you referring here to adhoc connection type? Yes.
0 Kudos