Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Will Intel Compete?

ChicagoBob
Beginner
A larger question is how will Intel going to compete against things this like this?
http://lastnu.com/2011/12/08/7-inches-edentab-with-dual-core-1-2-ghz-android-4-0-announced/

Big systems like my I-7 here are still useful but with the upcoming Windows 8 being another
bust OS (every other OS release from MS has been aweful, anyone forget vista already?)
Android and econo hardware seems to be the next huge market.

Small dual core , and soon quad core, motherboards that can drive a monitor or TV, low power no fan built in WiFi USB and camera etc. seem to be the HOT new commerical nitch

My suggestion Intel is you create a new nitch in this market and instead of slow wifi you add
NAS Server combined with 60Ghz distributed wifi and you might have a huge new market of blinding fast connections with players/controlers. Add on OEM's for TV and stereo systems and you will have a computer house. The fridge connected to the food DB and or recipe network etc. and hopefully all driven with Intel hardware.
0 Kudos
13 Replies
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
This ismy opinion and, of course, it is different from yours... :) But, the subject is very interesting! Thank you.

>>...Add on OEM's for TV and stereo systems and you will have a computer house...

Don't you remember how Windows XP was introduced in August 2001 as the most "Secure" and "Reliable" operating system? How many Windows XPupdates and patcheswere released? Thousands!

Don't you remember Bill Gates' presentations about a media house solutions about 3 or 4 years ago?

Microsoft was very busy withWindows Vista, a "disaster" for Microsoftas soon as it was released, and after
that with a "recovery" project Windows 7.

But, at the same time Apple, Google, etcwere working in a different direction, that is Tablets, and Microsoft
lost a battle.

Also, Microsoft lost a battleover Mobile Platforms andSmartphones.

Here issome statistics about number of applications developed for the most popularMobile Platforms.
Sorry, I don'trememberall numbersexactly:

Android - more than 300,000 applications developed
iOS - more than 200,000 applications developed
BlackBerry - more than 20,000 applications developed
Windows Mobile\ Phone 7- more than 5,000 applications developed

And, let's addthatMicrosoft lost a battle over Internet Search engines.

I thinksome keys to success could be as follows:

"Go-Smaller", "Go-Green","Go-Portable", "Go-Mobile", "Go-Energy-Efficient".

A message to Intel: Please Don't Repeat Microsoft's mistakes!

Best regards,
Sergey

PS: I don't want to upgrade my TV, my computer at home, my fridge, my car,etc...
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Android - more than 300,000 applications developed
iOS - more than 200,000 applications developed
BlackBerry - more than 20,000 applications developed
Windows Mobile\ Phone 7- more than 5,000 applications developed

Here is some update on numbers:

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2011-12-27/tech/30560668_1_apple-app-store-android-marketplace-apple-s-app-store

iOS - more than 600,000 applications developed
Android -more than 500,000 applications developed
Windows Mobile \ Phone 7 - more than 50,000 applications developed

0 Kudos
nickwhiz
Beginner
yes intel will come its the best computer manufactiring company in the world
0 Kudos
shadab_khatib
Beginner
Hello
Intel is one of the best producers of the microprocessors in the semiconductors industry.
Due this this new branch of smartphone hardware Intel has launched a processor for smartphones which is the Intel Atom Z24601.6Ghz processor which even has hyper-threading. Though a single core processor it is just the beginning step in this market.
So from the Intel inside computers we are going to have Intel inside smartphones.
For more information on the Intel in smartphone processors you may find the link below informative
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Don't you remember how Windows XP was introduced in August 2001 as the most "Secure" and "Reliable" operating system? How many Windows XPupdates and patcheswere released? Thousands

Windows is very complex OS with millions of line of code.So it is very hard to write 100% secure code.There is always a posibility of programming errors which can be exploted by the skilled researcher/hacker.
0 Kudos
arthisoftseo
Beginner
Yes, I Totally agree with you.. Intel is extremely put to advantage from the increase of the data center and the develop out of cloud computing.
0 Kudos
gaston-hillar
Valued Contributor I
@Shadab,
One of the most important things to consider is the possibility of reusing the experience that most developers around the world have in the x86 platform in multiple devices.
It is simpler to create excellent applications when you know the hardware in which they are being executed. :)
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
This is a follow up...

2012 Q1data ( smartphone makers in U.S. ):

Apple 29%
Samsung 24%
HTC 15%
Motorola 10%
LG 7%
RIM 5%

It is interesting that Nokia is not on the list...

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Here is update for RIM ( BlackBerry devices)...

Quoting Sergey Kostrov
This is a follow up...

2012 Q1data ( smartphone makers in theU.S. ):

Apple 29%
Samsung 24%
HTC 15%
Motorola 10%
LG 7%
RIM 5% -> ~1%

Unfortunately, RIM's share drops to ~1% in the U.S. as of July 2012.Please take a look at an article if interested:

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/blackberry-usage-share-plummets-just-1-u-165035225.html

0 Kudos
sureshgupta22
Beginner

Thanks for providing the SEO Tips.it's such a helpful information

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
AT&T forced me to take a new RIM 3 months ago, saying they would no longer support 2G as required by the older one. Unsurprisingly, the new one has to switch between 2G and 3G frequently. With its faulty charging jack, inabiity to filter spam, many hour delays for voice and email messages, and lack of compatibility with de facto browser standards, it's definitely an incentive to switch to almost anything else. At the time AT&T were promoting Windows 7 phones, but those (like Android) required signing a fresh contract, not such a palatable choice for anyone.
The very few press articles seem to agree that it's late for an Intel Android phone market entry in additional countries, though I'd certainly like to try pulling the SIM card from the RIM even if AT&T support remains as poor as it is for RIM.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Let's count problems...

Quoting TimP (Intel)
1. ...the new one has to switch between 2G and 3G frequently...
2. ...faulty charging jack...
3....inabiity to filter spam...
4. ...many hour delays for voice and email messages...
5. ...lack of compatibility with de facto browser standards...

It's impressive.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
This is a short follow up... . [From TimP]: >>...AT&T forced me to take a new RIM 3 months ago... I'd certainly like to try pulling the SIM card from the RIM even if AT&T support remains >>as poor as it is for RIM... . Here is another update ( a sad one for the RIM ): "BlackBerry plummets near bottom among global brands" . http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/blackberry-plummets-near-bottom-among-global-brands-interbrand-132517228.html . Best regards, Sergey
0 Kudos