Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

changed forum appearance

durisinm
Novice
What gives? This forum page now looks different in my browser. The type and color of text has changed, and messages are loading more slowly even though I'm at work on a fast network connection.

Has the Compaq Webmaster changed the forum software again, or has he just changed the design of the page?

Mike
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Compaq has a new web "branding", and the forum administrators changed to use it. I notice that when using MSIE 6.0 beta, the appearance is all wrong - wrong font sizes, wrong colors, and more - but with 5.5 it's fine. I've contacted the administrators about this. I also notice the slowness, and will ask that it be resolved.

Steve
0 Kudos
Jugoslav_Dujic
Valued Contributor II
I have a slow connection so I didn't spot any difference :-).
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Would those of you who say the fonts are smaller, please look at this page and tell me if the fonts are the same size? If so, there's likely little I can do about it - this is the new Compaq web design standard, but I will ask.

I use IE6, and while most of the text is larger than I think it should be (because it's in the wrong font), the text in this edit box is definitely on the small side... Compaq switched from using Verdana to Arial, and, for reasons I don't fully understand, the characters are smaller for a given size. I am currently using a 19 inch monitor at 1024x768, so the text ought to be a decent size (my vision is not so good...)

On the other hand, once Visual Fortran becomes an Intel product, I'll see if I can get Intel to sponsor a forum where I have more control over the appearance.

Steve
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Hi Steve, I looked at the products/servers page you linked to and the font there looks the same as the edit box for composing this reply. That would appear to be 1-2 points "larger" than the text I'm reading above the edit box on the forum. I know you mentioned something about the move to Intel while you were on vacation--what time-frame is that slated for again? Will Intel support 6.6 (an academic question since I haven't even installed 6.1a yet--still using 5.0d!). vr/Bill Jones
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
bonesley - you say the font in the edit box is LARGER than the font on the rest of the page? That's curious. If you can, please grab a screen shot of this page and send it to me at Steve.Lionel@compaq.com Tell me what browser and browser version you're using and your screen resolution. Anyone else for whom the forum pages look different from the server page I referenced above, please do the same.

As for 6.6 - it will be business as usual. We (the Visual Fortran team) will continue to support it, and you'll still send problem reports to vf-support@compaq.com We actually become Intel employees on August 16, but we're not actually moving anywhere for up to two years, so you probably won't notice any changes, at least not until sometime next year.

I will remind folks that the $149 upgrade to 6.5 for registered users ends July 31 - upgrading after that will cost more. 6.6 will be a free download for 6.5 users, and a CD version of the upgrade will be available at a nominal cost ($19.95 in the US) from participating resellers worldwide.

Steve
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
I use IE 5.5 at 1280x1024 on a 19" monitor, with fonts scaled to 135%. I noticed the style change immediately, but couldn't immediately put my finger on any specific font size change, but things did appear a little smaller. When I select a thread to read in full, the font size is now definitely smaller than before (but the same as that in the thread headings). I prefer the larger font size, as it was before...
0 Kudos
durisinm
Novice
I use IE 5.5 with a 20-inch monitor and resolution set to 1280x1024. The font on the server page might be a tiny bit larger than the one on the Fortran forum page, but not by much.

Mike
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Again, I'd ask people to send me screen shots along with resolution/browser details, by e-mail. I can't do anything with "a little bit smaller" Screen shots I can send to the forum administrators.

Steve
0 Kudos