Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17060 Discussions

core 2 MSR documentation

elmo234
Beginner
I spent the whole day looking on intel's webpage and I didn't find the documents that describe the MSR registers (and fields) in intel core 2 processors. I am specially interested in Penryn model.

I need to know about the IA32_MSR_PERF_STATUS and how to translate the vid values into real voltages.

Where can I find that information?
Thank you for your time :)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
elesueur
Beginner
I don't believe that information is publicly available... The general information is in the Software Developers Manual, 3B, in Appendix B, specifically page B-10. The MSR you are looking for is 0x198, and the only information give about the bit positions is that bits 15:0 are the 'Current performance state value'.

I believe the other information, if it exists, is in the BIOS writes guide, which is not publicly available.

If anyone knows any different, I would be very interested!
0 Kudos
elmo234
Beginner
Thanks for your answer!

Later I read that the BIOS writer's guide is not publicly available :( It is a pity because you can find then in AMD. And a few years ago I found a similar document for the Pentium-M, when I modified the driver in linux trying to optimize it.

Anyway... I made some work reading the MSR's and I think I understand how they work for my T9300.
0 Kudos
elesueur
Beginner
in document ftp://download.intel.com/design/network/papers/30117401.pdf

I found this line:

"The 16-bit encoding defining valid operating points is model-specific and Intel proprietary. See your Intel
representative to obtain documentation outlining the required encoding."

What are the requirements for obtaining the documentation?
0 Kudos
Intel_Software_Netw1
To request access through an Intel product rep or Field Application Engineer (FAE), you would need to be employed by a hardware or software development company that has an NDA on file with Intel.

If you meet these qualifications and don't yet have an Intel rep (ask your company's purchasing department whether you have one), you can find a contact at http://www.intel.com/buy/networking/design.htm under "Design Components".

==

Lexi S.

IntelSoftware NetworkSupport

http://www.intel.com/software

Contact us

0 Kudos
levicki
Valued Contributor I

I think those VID values can be found in the (electrical and thermal) specification document for the CPU series you are interested in.

0 Kudos