Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

how to move from free trial to purchase

Thomas_C_1
Beginner

I have been free evaluating Intel Parallel Studio XE2015 composer Edition for Fortran Windows, with Visual Studio 2013 Community edition and it works for me.

I have some questions about purchasing and related matters.

1. I am a retired UK academic continuing to work from home on unfunded academic research. Do I qualify for a Named User Academic license?

2. I see there are three levels (by price): Named User Academic at 399 dollars; Named User Academic (Service and Support Renewal Post-expiry) at 299 dollars; and a third at 199 dollars. I would like to purchase a license that does not expire but am not bothered about updates, service or support. Which level fits my needs?

4. To progress from free evaluation to a purchased copy, do I uninstall my evaluation copy and start again?

5. I only installed Visual Studio to support XE2015. Will the visual Studio shell that I understand is part of XE2015 perform all the functions of Visual Studio that are needed for XE2015? I mean, can I uninstall Visual Studio?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
James_T_Intel

Hi Thomas,

I believe you would qualify for an academic license, but I need to confirm.

You will not need to uninstall your evaluation, simply activate with the new license.

You can uninstall the Visual Studio you have and simply use the Visual Studio shell that is provided.  That has all the functionality needed for the Fortran compiler.

If you are purchasing the Academic license for Visual Fortran, you will need to purchase the $399 version.  This is the initial purchase.  The $299 and $199 are support renewals (the difference is renewing after expiration or renewing before expiration).  This license will not expire, the only thing that will expire is the support and upgrade capability.

We also offer a free program that you might qualify for, see https://software.intel.com/en-us/qualify-for-free-software for more information.

Sincerely,
James Tullos
Technical Consulting Engineer
Intel Developer Support

0 Kudos
James_T_Intel

Hi Thomas,

You will not qualify for the academic licensing.  The qualification for this is that the payment come from a degree granting institution.  I recommend exploring the free software options I posted previously.

Sincerely,
James Tullos
Technical Consulting Engineer
Intel Developer Support

0 Kudos
Thomas_C_1
Beginner

Hi, James,

Thanks for all those replies - it clarifies a lot.

I looked at the qualify-for-free-software page and it seems to me the requirement is for an email address ending .edu. But my email is .ac.uk, so I think I don't qualify for the free software.

But I have looked a bit deeper into your website. Clicking on to Licensing Options > Academic Developers > Academic Community, I think I am eligible to join the Academic Community. Though I am retired, I can still describe my self as 'professor' - I am on my University's books as still active ... my only problem as far as paying for the software for home use is that I must pay for it myself, not through a university account .. do you have any information about qualifying for the academic community, may it be a route to free (or academic priced) software or should I just try it and see what happens?

If that doesn't work, I see from the pricing page that there is nothing between 'Academic' and 'Commercial' but my work is certainly not commercial - I don't make any money from my academic research .. I would value any other suggestions you may have.

Tom

0 Kudos
Thomas_C_1
Beginner

James,

This is just to let you know that I may be out of email contact for the next 3 days.

If you reply to my last email with something that expects a reply, there may be a delay on my part.

Tom Childs

0 Kudos
James_T_Intel

I'll check with the coordinator of the program as to what would be the best method to proceed.

0 Kudos
James_T_Intel

Thomas, you should have a license in your email.

0 Kudos
Thomas_C_1
Beginner

Hi, James,

I am just back in email contact and have read your message from Wednesday.

If it means Intel is sending me a free license, I am very grateful - and thank you -  although I am more than happy to pay a fee ...

But at this time (Friday) I haven't received the license ... maybe it is on its way and I am being impatient, but by an unfortunate coincidence, Leeds University was changing its email provider over Wednesday night (to Office 365), so there is a chance it may have gone astray. (I have checked there is nothing in junk or spam folders)..

Could you check whether something has been sent, I would be most grateful.

Tom Childs

0 Kudos
James_T_Intel

I was told by one of our Business Development Managers (the one who granted the license) that it was sent.  I've resent it, you should have the license information in your email now.

0 Kudos
Thomas_C_1
Beginner

This is very odd!

I cannot see it arrived - but I am still finding problems with Office 365 ... just to check, you are sending it to <email removed>? I mean you don't have any other address for me ..

I am about to go out .. I will check again over the weekend and get back on Monday with either I have found the email or haven't ..

Thanks for your efforts,

Tom.

0 Kudos
James_T_Intel

And that would be the problem.  The email address you used to sign up for the forum isn't that.  It's missing a letter.  I cannot modify your forum account, you might want to do that.  I'll get the license updated and off to your correct email in a few moments.

0 Kudos
Thomas_C_1
Beginner

Many apologies for that mistake on my part.

I have now received the email and gone through the download / installation instructions but have now run into an unexpected problem.

From the Start All Programs > Intel Parallel Studio XE 2015 > Compiler and Performance Libraries, I can only see Intel MPI Library. I didn't know what is an MPI library so from the command line that opened C:\Program files(x86)\Intel\MPI\5.0.3.048> I tried an ifort instruction, only to get the message it wasn't recognised .. so I guess it doesn't include the fortran compiler within it.

So am I doing something wrong?

Or has there been some error in the download or set-up?

The Intel folder in C:\Program Files(x86) is 5.7GB large, if that is useful information about the success of the download.

Tom

0 Kudos
James_T_Intel

On my computer, the shortcut you want is named "Intel 64 Visual Studio 2013 mode".  Your computer might have a slightly different name due to OS version or Visual Studio* version.  If you can't find it, please send me a private message with screenshots of what your menu looks like, and I'll see what we can do.

0 Kudos
Thomas_C_1
Beginner

I haven't used the attachments facility before, so hope what I have done transmits OK.

I have uploaded 2 screenshots, both put unto a powerpoint file .. The first is of the contents of C > Program Files (x86) > Intel. The second is the shortcut menu expanded as far as it will go ...

If you meant something else, please let me know.

Thanks, Tom Childs

0 Kudos