Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

re: display resolutions of Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD

drjoestan
Beginner
Hello. Can the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD graphics card output 1680 X 1050 resolution via VGA onto an external monitor? The external monitor is 20", max 1680 X 1050 resolution, 16:10 aspect ratio. I am buying an HP dv4t laptop whose LCD display is only 1280 X 800. I plan to use my laptop via VGA on the external monitor only (I will turn off the LCD display on my laptop).

Thank you very much for your help on this matter.

-Joe
0 Kudos
8 Replies
parmenti
Beginner
Quoting - drjoestan
Hello. Can the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD graphics card output 1680 X 1050 resolution via VGA onto an external monitor? The external monitor is 20", max 1680 X 1050 resolution, 16:10 aspect ratio. I am buying an HP dv4t laptop whose LCD display is only 1280 X 800. I plan to use my laptop via VGA on the external monitor only (I will turn off the LCD display on my laptop).

Thank you very much for your help on this matter.

-Joe

I would like to know the answer to this as well. Will I be able to hdmi connect to an external monitor at 1680 x 1050? I know Intel GMA's were not cabable of this. Which graphics cards can now do this so I know what to look for? Thanks
0 Kudos
kakabeka
Beginner

I'd also like to know the answer to this question. I've got the HP 6730b laptop and a 24"external monitor (HP w2408h) connected via VGA.I'm trying to runin the extended desktop configuration with the monitor as the primary and the laptop as the secondary. The max resolution I can get on the monitor is 1280 x 1024 (native resolution is 1920 x 1200) and the max resolution I can get on the laptop is 1680 x 1050 (native resolution is 1280 x 800 which isn't even an option from the Intel drivers).

My optimal setup is 1920 x 1200 on the monitor as the primary and 1280 x 800 on the laptop display as the secondary. I'veinstalled the latest monitor drivers which don't help and uninstalled and reinstalled the latest video drivers which didn't help. I have also tried Ultramonand still can't find a way to get the preferred setup. When I had a similar problem with my previous laptop that had the ATI Mobility Fire GL, I had a similair problem which took ages to resolve but it ended up being one of the 'panning' settings on the video drivers which ended up allowing the higher resolution. I am hoping there is something similair with the Intel GMA 4500MHD that I am just missing so far.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
0 Kudos
fizzyfanta
Novice
According to the below datasheet,

http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/datasheet/319970.pdf

Analog Display (82Q45, 82Q43, 82B43, 82G45, 82G43,82G41 GMCH only)
- 350 MHz Integrated 24-bit RAMDAC
- Up to 2048x1536 @ 75 Hz refresh
- Hardware Color Cursor Support
- DDC2B Compliant Interface

Digital Display (82Q45, 82Q43, 82B43, 82G45, 82G43,82G41 GMCH only)
- SDVO ports in single mode supported
- 200 MHz dot clock on each 12-bit interface
- Flat panels up to 2048x1536 @ 60 Hz or digital CRT/HDTV at 1400x1050 @ 85 Hz
- Dual independent display options with digital display
- Multiplexed digital display channels (supported with
ADD2 Card).
- Supports TMDS transmitters or TV-Out encoders
- ADD2/MEC card uses PCI Express graphics x16
connector
- Two channels multiplexed with PCI Express* Graphics
port
- Supports Hot-Plug and Display
0 Kudos
kakabeka
Beginner

Thanks for the help!

I finally figured it out after hours of troubleshooting. It was my docking station! In the end, I disconnected from the docking station and monitor, then uninstalled the Generic Plug & Play monitor drivers and the video driversfrom Device Manager. I had to change the permissions on the c:SWsetupMonitors folder to completely uninstall them. Then I installed the monitor drivers from the HP website.

When Ishutdown, I connected directly from the laptop to the vga cable on the monitor. Upon restart,the monitor and the video card were recognised and I can now see both showing correctly (finally rid of the generic PNP monitor) and the right options appeared in the Intel GMA driver graphics properties!

When I reconnect through the docking station, it limits the resolutions I can select again. It might be because I've got an old docking station. Anyway, I would rather have my optimum resolution.
0 Kudos
mjmmkerr
Beginner

I have just purchased an HP DV4-1465 and hooked up an Acer P221w monitor. It's native resolution is 1680x1050. I hooked up using a DVI-HDMI adapter and a DVI cable to the HDMI output on the laptop. When I changed the settings to 1680x1050, the screen goes black for a few seconds and then comes back on for a short bit, then goes off again, etc. It doesn't stay on for more than 7 or 8 seconds. I can run it a 1280x1024 with no issues at 60Hz, and if I switch to 75Hz it does the same thing, on and off. I haven't tried the VGA port yet, since I would like to run it digitally, but I can try it tonight. I contacted Acer and they say it is the computer's fault. There are a couple more things for me to try, to include driver updates, but it doesn't look too promising from what I have researched so far.

Later that night...

I hooked up my Acer P221w via VGA. It is showing 1680x1050 resolution with no problems. I also verified that the extended laptop connection does work at the same time the two different resolutions on the monitor and laptop. I still wasn't able to get the monitor to display in digital 1680x1050. It still blacks out on me. I tried updating the graphics driver, but the one I had on my computer already was the updated version. If anyone has any ideas how to make this work, I would certainly appreciate it.

Matt
0 Kudos
oktavi
Beginner
Dear all,

I have a notebook, Dell Latitude E5400. Its display adapter is Intel GMA 4500MHD. I want to connect it to my LCD TV LG30 Series using VGA port.

The resolution of the LCD is 1366 x 768. But, in the display control panel, there is no selection for 1366 x 768. It has only 1024 x 768 and 1280 x 800. How can I change this?

Do I need to install any specific driver?

Thank you very much.

Anggoro YN
in Indonesia
0 Kudos
stele1
Beginner
Similare question for me: I am planing to buy a laptop Asus UL50AG code UL50AG-XX003C with GMA 4500MHD graphic card. I would like to connect (with HDMI) the laptop with a 24'' external monitor 1920 x 1080 of resolution. and 76Hz

The reseller datasheet (not the manifacturer) says the max external monitor resolution is 1600 x 900. But with the same chip GMA 4500MHD there are several laptops with differents and better max external resolutions. And the specification you reported confirm this.

Why is it differing from model to model with the same chip?

Is exclusively the graphic card determining this important (for me) specification?

Any ,information, consideration, link, experience, suggestion... or whatever would be gratly appreciated.
0 Kudos
narutowicz
Beginner

UL30A and external high resolution monitor connected to the analog output

Computer: ASUS UL30A (UL30A-Qx32X4) with Intel GMA 4500MHD graphics card
Tested with: NEC (1920x1200) and iiyama (1920x1200) external monitors
Software: Require "Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel" (I have from default on my Asus UL30A - maybe it is a standard)

I have read some questions and answers to this problem and then - found the simpliest for me:

1. Click Right Mouse Button on Desktop
2. Choose "Screen Resulution"
3. Point the external monitor image with too low resolution set (most probably it will be the small one with "Display: Generic Non-PnP Monitor")
4. Right click on the icon and choose "Properties"
5. In the new window ("Generic Non-PnP...") choose the "Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver dor Mobile" big tab
6. Click the "Graphics properties..." button
7. Wait some time patiently (about 15 seconds!)
8. Choose "Display->Custom Resolutions" from left menu
9. Confirm that you know what you're doing (if it is so) - "Yes"
10. Choose the proper Display ("Monitor" in my case)
11. "Basic Settings" will be enough (radio button)
12. Set the proper Width/Height/Refresh_Rate/Color_Depth for your external monitor (in my case: 1920x1200@60Hz 32bit)
13. Leave the default Timing_Standard ("CVT" - timing standard newer then "GTF")... at least I did so
14. Add this custom resolution (require confirmation).
15. Go to the Display->General_Settings, choose the "Monitor" and set the new resolution (it should be available from Windows Screen Resolution menu as well from now on)
16. Confirm & Enjoy!

Right now I've got desktop on two monitors with 1920x1200 resolution. Very nice experience especially with an external keyboard.

Cons?
It is possible to use only 2 monitors at the same time - the internal display goes black when connecting the second external display ;)

Hope it helps.

Regards,
pk

---
http://coinsville.com (launch: Q1 2012!)
0 Kudos