Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion around monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform monitoring
Announcements
This community is designed for sharing of public information. Please do not share Intel or third-party confidential information here.

Can PCM Read/Write a WO registry bit?

Tongliang_L_
Beginner

Hi , all:

Recently I was reading the PCM source code and the document "Intel Xeon Processor E5-2600 Product Family Uncore Performance Monitoring Guide"(Reference Number:327043-001). There are some  questions confused me.

In the guide 2.7.3.1, Page 89, I can get the "Q_Py_PCI_PMON_BOX_CTL Register – Field Definitions",and the attr of bit[8] is WO.

And I find the definition of "WO" in the EDS of E5-2600 family:

Write Only: These bits can only be written by microcode, reads return indeterminate values. Microcode that wants to ensure this bit was written must read wherever the side-effect takes place.

Then I read the source of PCM v2.5, from Line 2849 to Line 2860 in cpucounter.cpp, I can get the code to write & read the registry:

// freeze enable
        qpiLLHandles->write32(Q_P_PCI_PMON_BOX_CTL, Q_P_PCI_PMON_BOX_CTL_RST_FRZ_EN);
        // freeze
        qpiLLHandles->write32(Q_P_PCI_PMON_BOX_CTL, Q_P_PCI_PMON_BOX_CTL_RST_FRZ_EN + Q_P_PCI_PMON_BOX_CTL_RST_FRZ);

val = 0;
        qpiLLHandles->read32(Q_P_PCI_PMON_BOX_CTL, &val);
        if (val != (Q_P_PCI_PMON_BOX_CTL_RST_FRZ_EN + Q_P_PCI_PMON_BOX_CTL_RST_FRZ))
  {
            std::cout << "ERROR: QPI LL counter programming seems not to work. Q_P" << i << "_PCI_PMON_BOX_CTL=0x" << std::hex << val << std::endl;
   std::cout << "       Please see BIOS options to enable the export of performance monitoring devices (devices 8 and 9: function 2)." << std::endl;
  }

So comes the questions.

1.As the bit[8] is WO and can only be written by microcode, can a linux process write this bit?

2.As the bit[8] is WO and read return indeterminate values, is the if statement resonable?

0 Kudos
0 Replies