Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion regarding monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform updating.

Change the cpu frequency

Ayam
Beginner

Hello

First of all, Sorry if I am posting my thread on the wrong platform.

I want to change the cpu frequency. I have install cpufrequtils. the command "cpufreq-info" give me information

cpufrequtils 008: cpufreq-info (C) Dominik Brodowski 2004-2009 Report errors and bugs to cpufreq@vger.kernel.org, please. analyzing CPU 0: driver: intel_pstate CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 0 CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 0 maximum transition latency: 0.97 ms. hardware limits: 1.20 GHz - 2.40 GHz available cpufreq governors: performance, powersave current policy: frequency should be within 1.20 GHz and 2.40 GHz. The governor "performance" may decide which speed to use within this range.

when I try to run the command: "sudo cpufreq-set -f 1500000". I am getting error: Error setting new values. Common errors: - Do you have proper administration rights? (super-user?) - Is the governor you requested available and modprobed? - Trying to set an invalid policy? - Trying to set a specific frequency, but userspace governor is not available, for example because of hardware which cannot be set to a specific frequency or because the userspace governor isn't loaded?

Can you give any idea how to approach this problem?

Regards

0 Kudos
4 Replies
SB17
Beginner

in my opinion additional kernel modules for policy is not necessary. Perhaps in the BIOS selected consumption scheme blocking this policy/

It may be depend of BIOS settings. Try change in BIOS item like "cpu config" scheme. May be selected "max perfomance" ?

You can look in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor what policies are available (modprobe acpi_cpufreq).

0 Kudos
Ayam
Beginner

I have governor: performance and powersave with the driver intel_pstate.

If I do not want to change the BIOS settings then do I have to install acpi_cpufreq?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
SB17
Beginner

acpi_cpufreq for provide governor and frequency list in sysfs (for example /devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/ )

0 Kudos
SB17
Beginner

Look to https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CPU_frequency_scaling and http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/6101/supermicro-x9dr7-tf-intel-c602j-server-motherboard-review/index4.html ("The advanced CPU tab shows the CPU configuration for this board").

In my opinion you need to see the BIOS settings
0 Kudos