Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion regarding monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform updating.

How to disable Turbo boost Max 3.0 programmatically ?

Popov__Maxim
Beginner

Hello!

I'm working on software which doesn't have any benefits from Turbo boost 3.0.

Moreover we have user complaints when Turbo boost 3.0 works inadequately with our product.

Can we disable Turbo boost 3.0 for our software programmatically  ?

Best regards,

Maksim Popov

0 Kudos
2 Replies
McCalpinJohn
Honored Contributor III

According to Volume 4 of the Intel Architectures Software Developer's Manual (document 335592), writing "1" to bit 38 of IA32_MISC_ENABLE (MSR 0x1a0) will disable Turbo mode for the package on several generations of Intel processors.

0 Kudos
Popov__Maxim
Beginner

Hi John,

Thank you for the answer.

As I found here:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/manuals/64-ia-32-architectures-software-developer-vol-3b-part-2-manual.pdf

"Opportunistic processor performance operation can be disabled by setting bit 38 of IA32_MISC_ENABLE. This mechanism is intended for BIOS only" - it is for BIOS only and it will affect all the system, not only our software.

Also I'm talking about "Turbo boost Max 3.0" which is more software than hardware as I understand. At least Turbo boost Max 3.0 has software part which analyzes running software and workloads. I would like that "Turbo boost Max 3.0" doesn't affect our software at all.

0 Kudos