Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SB17
Beginner

How to recognize wthat a applications exacting to latency ?

Jump to solution

Hello all

I look for applications exacting to latency.  
Not always developers can tell that the application is exacting to latency.

I had an idea to define it by forum of monitoring of counters of the CPU.
Whether to check the CPU or process he expects data from memory or from a network.  

I looked on the Internet, but I thought that at this forum I can be directed in the right direction much quicker.

What counters can reflect a situation of waiting of process or the processor of data from memory or from a network?

Whether can reflect it that applications are exacting to latency?

Thanks for your time

P.S. Probably it somehow can be made by means of Intel Amplifer however I didn't try yet and it will be great do it by console or C.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Thomas_G_4
New Contributor II

Hi,

Idling is a difficult term for recent CPUs. Is is pretty rare that a CPU core has no instructions in the pipeline (idle) but is not forced to some different low-power state.

There are many events that give you information about halted CPU cores.
The fixed events on Intel CPUs give a first impression: If the INST_RETIRED.ANY event value per second is small, this is an indication. If the CPU_CLOCKS_UNHALTED.* are small, the CPU was probably in halted state.

You should have a look at all events with STALL in their names. Moreover, the CYCLE_ACTIVITY.* events can be what you are searching for. There is an event like "no activity due to waiting on memory loads". But keep in mind that a stall is different from idling.

Additionally, take a look at the C3 and C6 state counters.

There are scientific papers about that topic but the points, you are interested in, are somewhat hidden. There is a paper for reducing the CPU clock when a code's performance is limited by memory accesses. So, they need to detect it but their main work is about the reaction. I don't have links to that paper, but <insert search engine> will find it.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
SB17
Beginner

Maybe my english is very bad.

I will try to rephrase

How to understand from PCM that the CPU/core is idle ?
Is it possible to understand that the idle is associated with waiting for a response from memory or PCI-E or file system ?

Tell me what I can read on this topic ?

Thanks for you time

Thomas_G_4
New Contributor II

Hi,

Idling is a difficult term for recent CPUs. Is is pretty rare that a CPU core has no instructions in the pipeline (idle) but is not forced to some different low-power state.

There are many events that give you information about halted CPU cores.
The fixed events on Intel CPUs give a first impression: If the INST_RETIRED.ANY event value per second is small, this is an indication. If the CPU_CLOCKS_UNHALTED.* are small, the CPU was probably in halted state.

You should have a look at all events with STALL in their names. Moreover, the CYCLE_ACTIVITY.* events can be what you are searching for. There is an event like "no activity due to waiting on memory loads". But keep in mind that a stall is different from idling.

Additionally, take a look at the C3 and C6 state counters.

There are scientific papers about that topic but the points, you are interested in, are somewhat hidden. There is a paper for reducing the CPU clock when a code's performance is limited by memory accesses. So, they need to detect it but their main work is about the reaction. I don't have links to that paper, but <insert search engine> will find it.

View solution in original post

McCalpinJohn
Black Belt

Unfortunately the documentation in Chapter 19 of Volume 3 of the Intel Architectures SW Developer's Manual is badly broken for the CYCLE_ACTIVITY.* events on almost all processors.   The documentation for the Skylake core looks like the only one that correctly lists the required CMASK values.

SB17
Beginner

sorry for long absence

Vary thanks for answer.

I will try to find info about CYCLE_ACTIVITY.* events.

Thanks for you time