Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion regarding monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform updating.

Intel HD 3000 - gaming

arnsa
Beginner
Hello, I have Dell Vostro 3450 Laptop with Intel HD 300 VGA. I'm playing such a games like Starcraft II and League of Legends without any problems. But here comes a question for me. Since Intel HD 3000 wasn't created for gaming, is it okay to play games with this VGA? Won't it overheat and break up because of heat?
Thanks! Arnas
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Hussam_Mousa__Intel_
New Contributor II
Hi Arnas,

You needn't worry about overheating causing damage to the processor or onboard graphics card. Typically these components have internal circuitry that would slow them down if they overheat beyond a critical point, and then power them down if it gets too dangerous.

You would probably get better results if you plug your laptop in since you can use active cooling from the fan and have the processor running safely at the top frequency. Laptops will try to use passive cooling and slow down the processor while on battery power to save energy.

Hope this helps,
Hussam
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Since Intel HD 3000 wasn't created for gaming, is it okay to play games with this VGA? Won't it overheat and break up because of heat?

Your graphics card will be fine.Beside the automatic overheat prevention circuit.Game software can query device driver for the devcaps and automatically choose the best settings for your card.
0 Kudos