Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion around monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform monitoring
Announcements
This community is designed for sharing of public information. Please do not share Intel or third-party confidential information here.
1623 Discussions

Intel PCM- Unsupported Processor Model error (Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E7-4860 v2 @ 2.60GHz (62))

Mahwish_A_
Beginner

I am running PCM (version 2.8) numa and power utilities on Ivy Bridge platform (Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E7-4860 v2) Model 62 but getting this "Unsupported Processor Model" error. pcm-power reads returns my model number as -1.  Is it not supported by PCM v2.8?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Roman_D_Intel
Employee

Could you please post the entire output of pcm-power and pcm-numa?

Thank you,

Roman

Mahwish_A_
Beginner

Roman

I get the following message for pcm-numa and pca-power respectively:

"pcm-numa tool does not support your processor currently."

"Unsupported processor model (-1)"

Mahwish_A_
Beginner

I think the problem was because of NMI watchdog which was enabled. After disabling it, PCM now detects the model. 

Roman_D_Intel
Employee

Thanks for you message. We will improve the error reporting in the next version of the code.

Mahwish_A_
Beginner

As mentioned above, I am running pcm-numa.x on Ivy Bridge platform model 62 (Xeon E7 v2). PCM can detect my model number 62 but classifies it as IVYTOWN instead of IVY_BRIDGE due to the definition in enum SupportedCPUModels . I swapped the definition of IVY_BRIDGE and IVYTOWN in SupportedCPUModels  (IVY_BRIDGE=62, IVYTOWN =58) so that it that correctly identifies the architecture too. 

Now when pcm-numa.x calls initUncoreObjects() function, I get the following error: 

"Can not read memory controller counter information from PCI configuration space. Access to memory bandwidth counters is not possible.You must be root to access these SandyBridge/IvyBridge/Haswell counters in PCM."

I am not running pcm-numa.x with root access but I do have R/W access to MSR registers. Can you advise on this? 

Roman_D_Intel
Employee

1) You should not change the CPU ID. The server processor (E7/E5 v2) with the Ivybridge uarchitecture had the codename IVYTOWN.

2) You need root access to access uncore memory counters.

Roman_D_Intel
Employee

for 2) PCM accesses the root /dev/mem driver to program uncore PMU. Uncore PMU on Ivytown does not have msr interface.

Mahwish_A_
Beginner

Is there a difference between offcore and uncore events? As I understand anything that any function which is not on the core is Uncore/Offcore e.g. L3/LLC  etc? However, Intel lists OFFCORE_RESPONSE_X and uncore events separately. Is it different to program an uncore event than an offcore? As given in pcm-numa.x, OFFCORE_RESPONSE_X for IvyTown is also programmed using event select registers and MSRs.

Roman_D_Intel
Employee

The uncore and offcore response events are counted in different performance monitoring units (PMUs). The offcore response events are programmed in the core PMU.

pcm-numa uses the offcore response events, so the lack of access to the uncore PMUs should not result in an issue.

Best regards,

Roman