Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion regarding monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform updating.

Memory bandwidth without uncore counters

Anatoly_S_
Beginner

Hello!

I'm trying to get the RAM and cache bandwidth metrics. It is seem possible to benchmark the system capacity, using lmbench for example, but I wonder how to do it for existing process (i.e. utilization)? 

I see, that I can use uncore counters with `perf` utility, but seems like there is no uncore support on my processor:

model           : 60
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 v3 @ 3.30GHz
stepping        : 3
microcode       : 0x1a

# ls /sys/bus/event_source/devices/
breakpoint  cpu  software  tracepoint

How can I track for the memory bandwidth metrics for some PID, more or less accurately? 

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
McCalpinJohn
Honored Contributor III

There are some memory bandwidth counters in the Xeon E3-1230 v3, but they are not easy to use....

Documentation is at https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/monitoring-integrated-memory-controller-requests-in-the-2nd-3rd-and-4th-generation-intel

0 Kudos
Thomas_W_Intel
Employee

Intel Performance Counter Monitor contains a sample implementation for reading these counters. However, they don't allow you to distinguish between processes. My recommendation is therefore that you do the measurement on an otherwise idle system.

0 Kudos