Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion regarding monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform updating.

PEBS on Windows

ja123
Beginner

Hi,

Is there any way to use PCM utility or the APIs to enable Precise Event-Based Sampling using the PMU? Take the example of a scenario where I want to capture a sample and record the PC every 100,000 clock cycles on Windows.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

ja123 wrote:

Hi,

Is there any way to use PCM utility or the APIs to enable Precise Event-Based Sampling using the PMU? Take the example of a scenario where I want to capture a sample and record the PC every 100,000 clock cycles on Windows.

Do you have any official documents about precise event based sampling?

0 Kudos
ja123
Beginner

iliyapolak wrote:

Quote:

ja123wrote:

Hi,

Do you have any official documents about precise event based sampling?

The closest doc I've seen is the Intel Software Developer's manual (System Programming Guide Vol 3B) - Section 18.4.4.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/64-ia-32-architectures-software-developer-vol-3b-part-2-manual.html

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Thank you for posting the link.

0 Kudos