Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion around monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform monitoring
Announcements
This community is designed for sharing of public information. Please do not share Intel or third-party confidential information here.
1624 Discussions

sys_reset# use with Intel® 5 Series HM55 chipset and an embedded COM Express™ Intel® Core™ i7 Celeron processor

Lior_M_
Beginner

Hello.

We are using an embedded COM Express™ Intel® Core™ i7 Celeron processor  with an Intel® 5 Series HM55 chipset by Congatec, model conga-BM57.

We have on our carrier also an Altera™ Startix IV FPGA.

We have (in this Hardware design) one ATX Power supply with no ability to turn it on selectively (ON=all voltages are ON).

We are facing a PCIe "no communication" problem (We can see it only when the Windows OS finishes to start up) one of 7-10 "power-on" cycles to the system

We saw that if we wait three seconds - till the FPGA reports "I'm ready" - before setting the "PWR_OK" signal, the BIOS sometimes doesn't start.

On the other hand, if we set no delay before the PWR_OK except waiting (100-500msec) that the Power Supply reports "Power_Good", we get the PCIe no-comm situation most of the times - but the BIOS always starts.

We tried to:

1. Add a 1.5-2sec delay before setting the "PWR_OK", letting the FPGA "some more time" to get ready.

2. Adding a "SYS_RESET#" use by setting the signal '1'>'0'>'1' for 50msec. First we set it when the FPGA reports "I'm ready" (It happens approx. 3sec from the Power_Supply "PSON#" set).

Later we set it 1 sec after he FPGA reports "I'm ready".

These to changes brought us to approx. 1 "PCIe no-comm situation" for 50 start-ups of the system.

Another important thing is, if we "restart" Windows (The Power Supply and the system stay ON), it starts up with everything OK - The PCIe works stable. We did also "stress" tests to the PCIe comm successfully.

In order to bring the system to 100% successful start-ups and no problems with PCIe. May I ask for any guidelines  for the Power-Up Sequence and/or using the PWR_OK and the SYS_RESET#?

What is the typical timing for the SYS_RESET#? What is the maximum period of time that a delay before PWR_OK can be set safely?

Thank you very much in advance,

Lior Mor.

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/5-chipset-3400-chipset-datash...

http://www.congatec.com/fileadmin/user_upload/Documents/Manual/BM57_BS57_BE57m12.pdf

0 Kudos
0 Replies