Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7448 Discussions

Also dropping internet connection Centrino 6205

idata
Employee

Like others posting on here I am also experiencing intermittent dropping of internet connection with Intel Centrino Advance N 6205 in Dell Latitude E6420 running Windows 7 Professional x64. I am running driver version 15.2.0.19 but previous versions still had the same problem. The problem is not related to my router as other devices can connect to the internet by both Ethernet and WiFi. I am using Channel 1 to avoid interference from nearby networks on channels 6 and 11. For the benefit of other users I am using a BT HomeHub 2.

When I lose internet connection:

Checking Proset it shows "Connected to my wireless network but Internet Access is NO"

I cannot ping the router with its IP address

I cannot connect to the router through a browser

If I logon to my router from another device it shows that this problem laptop is connected to the router

If I reset either the router or reset Proset the connection is re-established

There is nothing showing in the Wireless Event Viewer or Windows Event Viewer

28 Replies
ksiew1
Beginner

Earlier I tried http://downloadcenter.intel.com/confirm.aspx?httpDown=http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23389/eng/wireless_16.6.0_De164.exe&lang=eng&Dwnldid=23389&DownloadType=Software+Applications&OSFullname=Windows+8.1* Download Center (23389)

It worked some of the time.

Just now, I had multiple frustrating connection drop with Remote Desktop Connection over VPN.

Then, I tried DwnldID=23493. So far there has been no problems.

I will post here again if the problem recurs.

If I don't have to, it will be good news.

Thanks Joe.

0 Kudos
OScha1
Beginner

Joe: Can you get the development team to improve their testbed and just fix the drivers?

My client is experiencing chronic disconnects when roaming between 2 Wireless Access Points.

I am using a Lenovo X230 tablets (win7 32-bit) that connect to Cisco Wireless Acess points (1252AG) at 5GHz @ 300 Mbps, driver is 15.9.2.1 (why doesn't this number match the Wireless_16.7.0_Ds32.exe numbering system?). . When I attempt to roam between WAPs, the Internet drops right at the point when the tablet is supposed to switch from one WAP to the other -- the signal strength is good.. All WAPs have the same SSIDs and are plugged into the same Powerconnect 6248 switch, and we are using High Power (5), aggressive roaming and disabled all the power saving stuff. The first time the error is detected, I get about 15 Ping (15 seconds) of errors before it reconnects.

In the current setup, testing was performed by running a continuous Ping to a friendly Internet DNS server, while doing a walkabout. When using the 2.4 GHz connection, there do not appear to any drops.

The original office WAP setup supported seamless roaming with Toshiba and Dell laptos with Intel 4965agn chips, all running Windows XP.

My conclusion, is that one of the problems is in the firmware as exacerbated under 5GHz roaming.

My workaround is to downgrade to 2.4 GHz, and the 144 Mbps limit until this driver gets fixed.

Lenovo supports the WiMax 6250agn for this laptop, maybe that team has better firmware.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Oleg823, your driver version is expected for Windows* 7.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-034315.htm Intel� Wi-Fi Products; Intel� PROSet Wireless Software driver versions by Operating System

Perhaps you will get better results by using a lower roaming aggressiveness setting.

0 Kudos
TSimo5
New Contributor I

I am experiencing this issue as well with NUC and N 6235 card with windows8. installed latest driver and nothing helps...as Intel employee, I must say this is embarrassing, it is quite clear that many people suffer from this issue, and that driver fix or workaround could be provided, after looking at many posts on the internet, I am getting the feeling that this issue is well known for quite some time - months (if not years), can't Intel provide a driver that avoids this issue?

0 Kudos
TSimo5
New Contributor I

There is also a confusion in driver versioning, I am installing the driver with version 16.7, but still the reported driver is 15.*...

This looks like someone is not doing his job properly
0 Kudos
DPalm1
Beginner

I, too, am a victim of whatever is going on here. I have an HP EliteBook 8570p running Windows 7 Professional x64. Driver version 15.9.2.1 (same problem with previous versions). I'm connecting through a Netgear WNR1000v2 with the latest firmware (same problem with previous version), running in 150g/n only mode (have also tried 150n only) and secured with WPA2-PSK (also tried WPA-PSK+TKIP).

This is a work computer that I bring home, so it is a member of a domain.

I have approx 15 wireless devices (including other 802.11g/n laptops, tablets, phones, TV, BluRay, etc.) that all connect without any issues...except the one above.

I can run anywhere between 30 seconds and several hours between interruptions. When I am kicked off, I've found that rebooting the router fixes the problem every time. Resetting the wireless security (opening up and then re-securing) works, too.

I also found on another forum instructions for setting 'Computer Browser' in Services.msc to automatic. This seems to help get me reconnected (will do so automatically after several attempts), but has done nothing to stop the disconnects. (Admittedly, other than the description in Windows, I have no idea what this service even does.)

Should I assume that since this OP dates back nearly 2 years that there is no fix coming? Will I be forced to settle for a USB WiFi adapter? Are there any wireless routers that are known to work with the 6205?

0 Kudos
AWong18
Beginner

Hi,

I am experiencing this as well on our network. I am running Lenovo X1 Carbon T3444s, both with Windows 7 pro and Windows 8 Pro. They both have the 6205 NIC in them. I have updated to 16.11.0. Same problems as everyone else, it doesn't roam to the next AP and also cuts out suddenly. To fix it, sometimes reconnecting works but generally you need to reboot.

We have roughly 150 users and 10 of them are PC, they all use the same X1s and all have problems keeping a connection. All our Macs have no problems. We are using Ruckus 7982 APs. I have saturated our office to ensure no dead zones. I have talked to Ruckus support and it is clearly not their APs causing it. I have also tried Cisco Meraki APs and experience the same problem.

I have tried updating the drivers from both Lenovo and Intel, I have also changed the power management settings within the adapter which has seemed to help a little. Disconnects are not as frequent. I turned off the setting which allows the computer to turn the adapter off to save power. Set the 802.11n to auto instead of 20mhz, changed the roaming to aggressive.

This is getting very frustrating and am looking at other hardware alternatives now. Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Tamiroquai's issue was solved /thread/52252 here, but it was a different wireless adapter model anyway.

mp3gus, I see that your Ruckus* APs are concurrent dual band capable; perhaps you may want to try connecting the wireless adapters to the 5 GHz band. Whether it is choosing the preferred network band (2.4 or 5 GHz) or forcing the wireless mode (802.11a) this is an option that you may try as well, so the wireless adapter will connect to one specific band only. Let me know if this helps.

0 Kudos