Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

Ax200 Bluetooth fails on reboot. USB device descriptor request failed (Error 43)

BHarr8
Valued Contributor I

I have been troubleshooting this for a few days and believe that this is likely a problem with windows as it occurs on at least 1803, 1809 and 1903/9. I have tried everything that should work and it recommended:

clean install with newest drivers

enable and set ultimate power mode

set wireless and bluetooth to never sleep

set all bluetooth services to automatic (manual is default)

On a fresh install bluetooth will set up correctly after installing the latest drivers. On reboot (and on all subsequent reboots) device manager lists a USB device as Error 43 and bluetooth is missing. This error also causes wireless to fail (listed as installed but disabled).

There is a partial solution that I have found. If I shut down (using the default hybrid sleep in Windows 10) the bluetooth will correctly wake up on next boot. As long as I use shutdown and boot (not reboot) everything works.

I hope there is some communication between Intel and Microsoft that can help find a real solution to here.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AlHill
Super User

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2008-R2-and-2008/cc725873(v=ws.10)?redirectedfrom=MSDN

Did you add the AX200 to your laptop yourself, or did the laptop come with the AX200?

Doc

0 Kudos
BHarr8
Valued Contributor I

I installed it myself (upgrade).

That solution does not work if performed after a reboot. If a reboot is selected with the wireless card installed it cannot be enabled by any means.

If I am understanding the problem correctly it seems that the sequence of devices being enumerated is different with a full reboot and the device descriptor attempts to take place after windows puts the bluetooth part of the card to sleep. This seems to be consistent with the dozens of other support threads mentioning error 43 and failed bluetooth.

If I select shutdown and then boot it works without issue.

0 Kudos
BHarr8
Valued Contributor I

Let me grab some screen shots.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

"I installed it myself (upgrade)."

No can do. You need to coordinate with the laptop manufacturer.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005687/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

Doc

0 Kudos
BHarr8
Valued Contributor I

After shutdown and then boot:

shutdown.jpg

After reboot:

reboot.jpg

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello BHarr8,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

The recommendation provided by Al.Hill is correct about checking first with Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) about compatibility, availability, and support for Intel® Wireless Adapter. Where you able to check with the OEM? OEMs may limit the computer to only specific wireless adapters, causing an installation error when booting with a different, previously installed wireless adapter or no validated one. Were you able to check with the OEM of the computer/laptop?

Installation or use of Intel® Wireless Adapters is subject to country-specific legal regulations.

Wireless antennas are generally provided by each OEM, as they will need to fit each computer's chassis. Antennas are also subject to country-specific legal regulations, and may be found in different gain and power configurations. 

Before installing a Wireless Adapter, it is highly recommended checking first with the system manufacturer (PC, laptop, tablet)

For more information, please refer to Regulatory Information Regarding Wireless Hardware Installation or Upgrade

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
BHarr8
Valued Contributor I

Why is there no information about this listed when you buy these wireless cards?

Intel seems to have 0 issue selling me these AX cards, I have bought 6 of them so far.

Intel offers the product, offers the drivers and then pretends that it is obvious that you should not buy and use them.

This is a serious question. Had I not come here with my question would I have ever come accross the link you provided?

Take a look at your own ARK page for the AX200, do you see anything indicating that I can't just buy and install i?

AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello BHarr8,

Thank you for the feedback provided, it is highly appreciated and it has been forwarded to the proper team for consideration.

Intel® uses different channels for sales to distribute products to different system integrators.

It is worth mentioning that Intel® does not sell directly these Wireless Adapters to end-users, instead, they are sold to manufacturers for them to integrate, validate and customize for their specific systems and configurations.

The only retail wireless adapters currently supported are the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 + Bluetooth® for Desktop, and the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 Desktop Kit. These retail products are intended to be installed in Desktop PC with the antennas bundled in the box. They are not intended for wireless adapter upgrades in laptop PC. For upgrades on a laptop, it is highly recommended checking with the OEM to avoid hardware or software compatibility issues.

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos