Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7441 Discussions

Bluetooth not detected AC 7260 for Desktop (Device Descriptor Request Failed)

SRozh1
Novice

Hello,

I just purchased the Dual Band WIreless AC-7260 kit for desktop and have connected it on PCI-E on my Asrock Z77 Exterme4 motherboard. The WiFi started working immediately and performs great but I have not had luck getting the bluetooth module detected. I have connected the extra cable from the card to the board in the bottom row of a USB 2.0 header making sure that the empty pin is not used and have tried connecting it on the top row as well and neither are detected. I have tried installing the driver BT_3.1.1309_e64 on Windows 8.1 x64.

Under device manager the I see the message Unknown USB Device (device Descriptor Request Failed). Can anyone suggest what I could try to get bluetooth running?

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution
KV3
Beginner

Solution for me, probably for others too!

I had the same problem, same batch number as the picture and purchased from Newegg on 10-28-2013.

Batch# : CNWZ39B1WM

MM# : 930921

It seems that somebody that made these wires reversed the D+/D-...it is labeled incorrectly on my wire. I simply reversed the D+/D- connection on the motherboard's onboard USB connector and the computer recognized the Bluetooth adapter immediately upon reboot and installed the drivers.

I am also able to successfully pair my Galaxy S4 through Bluetooth and browse and transfer files as well. All seems to be working correctly now.

View solution in original post

27 Replies
KV3
Beginner

Glad I could help! I was having the same issue and was just a minute (literally) away from RMA'ing when I thought of switching the cable around. I figured that it would be easier for them to mess up the labeling than to mess up the actual device or drivers...which may seem counter-intuitive actually lol. Anyway, I'm glad it worked for everybody else here!

Mine doesn't list as a "... + HS" Bluetooth adapter though. Does the HS mean high speed??

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Thanks, the issue has been reported.

0 Kudos
AHoll
Beginner

Sorry to re-surface this issue. I attempted to update my Bluetooth drivers along with my AC 7260 adapter today after seeing there were new ones available and still dealing with issues related to WiDi and getting this adapter to work on my Windows 8.1 update 1 desktop that has multiple displays with a nearby TV using P2TV3000 (don't get me started), and ran into this issue which has been reported previously, with the Bluetooth adapter showing up as an Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) in device manager. This occurred after installing 17.0.1401.03 from http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wtech/proset-ws/sb/CS-034060.htm this Link for Windows 8.1 (latest update 1 also installed).

After remembering I was among those that had to swap my connector around to line up the pins as it was in the batch that were mis-labeled, I logically assumed they had corrected the problem somehow with this update. Unfortunately, flipping the connector around to line up with the USB header also yields the same result. I also tried removing this version and going back to 3.1.1311, but the error persists despite uninstalls and cleaning the registry with CCleaner. My adapter is in a custom built PC so any advice here on steps I could try to resolve, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

aholland1, the latest Bluetooth* driver is not intended to solve the wiring issue, that was identified as a separate hardware issue; so, I recommend swapping the cables as you had them initially. New units come with cables properly setup.

Secondly, the latest Bluetooth* driver solves a different (Code 43) issue in device manager; however, users reported that is necessary to power cycle the system (by removing the power cord when it is turned off) after the driver installs in order to solve this issue. I also observed that running the Windows* Update Driver Wizard with automatic options may also help.

0 Kudos
AHoll
Beginner

Thanks for the reply Joe. Swapping the cable around to the original position doesn't appear to resolve the issue. I've tried un-seating the card and booting without it after removing the wireless and Bluetooth drivers then re-seating after another shutdown with the usb header cable in the position that was working before (with the pins reversed) but still I am seeing the device descriptor error in device manager which re-installing the current Bluetooth drivers does not resolve. The issue did not surface until I installed the newer drivers, so really not sure what's going on here. System is running on Windows 8.1 update 1 in case that helps. Thanks for any additional support you can provide or steps to try.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

OK, I would leave the hardware intact, since it worked before that way. If removing or rolling back the drivers does not work, even from device manager, perhaps a System Restore will.

0 Kudos
AHoll
Beginner

Unfortunately system restore did come to mind, but also failed. As it transpires, the issue appears to have sorted itself out. After becoming frustrated with this card coupled with WiDi issues related to windows 8.1 and multiple monitors (can't add the wireless extender connected to my TV (a P2TV3000) as a 4th display), I purchased a $12 USB Bluetooth adapter from Amazon in an attempt to restore Bluetooth to my PC and planned to just leave Bluetooth disconnected. Upon plugging it in though and having it register in device manager no problem I was still unable to pair my phone or tablet to the PC as they would not detect from the PC or device end, likely due to some sort of conflict with the wireless adapter that I was still using for WiFi.

Defeated, I removed the USB adapter which I can hopefully use somewhere else and on a whim re-seated the card once more and re-connected the Bluetooth cable as I had it originally (pins reversed). Miraculously, when I re-booted the card registered this time with Device Manager and Bluetooth was restored (successfully able to re-pair my phone and tablet)!

The only other possible thing I can think of that might have caused a conflict was I had my infrared sensor enabled in BIOS which was not being used. Disabling this also removed the unknown device I was having trouble identifying in device manager. For reference my motherboard is an Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3.

Now if I can just get the WiDi issue sorted, but that's for another forum which I know you're involved with. No disrespect and I know this isn't your fault, but in my opinion, Intel should really just stick to processors and leave wireless networking to more established brands like Cisco and Netgear, as this card has been nothing but a headache for what should be simple tasks. Thanks anyway for trying to support the community!

0 Kudos