Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7430 Discussions

Cannot uninstall Intel PROSet/Wireless Software apps

salter
New Contributor I

Windows 10 Home 21H2 19044.1526, 64-bit
11-year-old Dell XPS L502x laptop
Intel Core i7-2760QM CPU @ 2.40GHz (2nd-Gen quad core mobile CPU)
Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 (provides Bluetooth and WiFi)
Intel Centrino Wireless Bluetooth 3.0 + High Speed Virtual Adapter
In-place upgrade from Win7 to Win10.

How can I uninstall both Intel PROSet/Wireless Software apps?

Settings | Apps & features: I cannot uninstall either PROSet/Wireless software, as both "Uninstall" and "Modify" buttons are greyed out. (I wonder if that happened when I did the in-place upgrade from Win7 to Win10.)

"Apps & features" shows:

• Intel PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software for Bluetooth Technology 2.2.0.0266.
  • Intel PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software 15.01.1500.1034.

Device Manager shows:

• Bluetooth | Intel Wireless Bluetooth, 3.0.1310.386 from provider Intel.
  • Network adapters | Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230, 15.4.1.1 from provider Microsoft.

I want to uninstall those apps and drivers, so I can test newer drivers on my current system before clean install.

How can I uninstall both PROSet/Wireless Software apps?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
salter
New Contributor I

I see that there were similar queries in this forum and other forums about inability to uninstall Intel PROSet/Wireless apps. For benefit of anyone finding this thread, here's how I solved it:

I downloaded Microsoft's "Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter". It was able to fix the situation and uninstall both apps. It also found a third Intel PROSet app that I was unaware of, as it was hidden from Apps & features. The troubleshooter also uninstalled that one.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed-cca7d1b6-65a9-3d98-426b-e9f927e1eb4d 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Well, starting at the beginning, your processor is not supported by Windows 10:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-10-21h2-supported-intel-processors

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Waiting for Windows 12]

0 Kudos
salter
New Contributor I

Thanks for the reply, but that does not address my question.

And, in fact lots of people run Windows 10 on this processor, as I've seen it discussed in various forums. Most PCs that ran well with Win7 can run Win10. Windows 10 runs well on my laptop, and on many others.

Do you have any suggestion to how I may uninstall both PROSet/Wireless Software apps?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I did not say W10 would not run.  I said W10 was not supported.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Waiting for Windows 12]

0 Kudos
salter
New Contributor I

What a fatuous comment.

I'm aware that it is not supported. I'm not seeking official support from Microsoft or Intel.

If you have nothing constructive to contribute, other than "not supported" finger wagging, please don't post in this thread.

0 Kudos
salter
New Contributor I

I see that there were similar queries in this forum and other forums about inability to uninstall Intel PROSet/Wireless apps. For benefit of anyone finding this thread, here's how I solved it:

I downloaded Microsoft's "Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter". It was able to fix the situation and uninstall both apps. It also found a third Intel PROSet app that I was unaware of, as it was hidden from Apps & features. The troubleshooter also uninstalled that one.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed-cca7d1b6-65a9-3d98-426b-e9f927e1eb4d 

0 Kudos
Jason21
Beginner

If the "Uninstall" and "Modify" buttons are greyed out in the Settings | Apps & features section, you can try uninstalling the apps using the Control Panel instead. Here's how:

1. Open the Control Panel by typing "Control Panel" in the search bar and clicking on the corresponding result.
  2. Click on "Programs and Features".
  3. Look for "Intel PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software for Bluetooth Technology" and "Intel PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software" in the list of installed programs.
  4. Right-click on each of them and select "Uninstall".
  5. Follow the prompts to complete the uninstallation process.

If you encounter any issues during the uninstallation process, you can try booting your laptop into Safe Mode and then uninstalling the software from there. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Restart your laptop.
  2. As your laptop is starting up, press and hold the F8 key until the Advanced Boot Options menu appears.
  3. Select "Safe Mode" from the menu using the arrow keys.
  4. Once you're in Safe Mode, follow the steps above to uninstall the software.
  5. After uninstalling the software, restart your laptop normally.

Once you've uninstalled the software and drivers, you can download and install the latest versions from the Intel website or your laptop manufacturer's website.

0 Kudos