Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7448 Discussions

Connectivity Issue with AX201 Bluetooth and Current Driver

Baregeek
Beginner

I have connectivity issues with two different Bluetooth keyboards, both using ZMK custom firmware with AX201 and driver version 22.250.0.2.  They will not pair or reliably stay connected.  When I roll back to 22.240.0.2, they connect and work without issue.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello @Baregeek

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. We would be more than glad to help you with your issue.

In order to have a better understanding of your issue, please provide me with the following:

1.      Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed in your system, or have you changed/installed a new adapter recently?

2.      Is Bluetooth visible in the device manager?

3.      Can you describe in more detail the specific connectivity problems you are experiencing with the Bluetooth keyboards when using driver version 22.250.0.2?

4.      Have you encountered any error messages or notifications when trying to pair or maintain a connection with the keyboards using the problematic driver?

5.      Did these connectivity issues start occurring after a specific event, such as a firmware update, operating system update, or any other changes to your computer setup?

6.      Are there any other devices connected to your computer via Bluetooth that are working fine, or do they also experience issues with driver version 22.250.0.2?

7.      Have you tried using these keyboards with driver version 22.250.0.2 on a different computer or device to see if the problem persists?

8.      Can you provide more information about your computer's operating system, including the version and any recent updates or changes made to it?

9.      Are there any specific error codes or logs related to the Bluetooth connectivity issues that you can share to help diagnose the problem further?

10.  Have you reached out to the manufacturer or developer of the ZMK custom firmware to see if they are aware of this issue or if there are any known solutions or updates?

11.  Are there any other Bluetooth peripherals or devices connected to your computer, and do they experience similar issues with the problematic driver version?

12.  Have you tried any troubleshooting steps, such as resetting the Bluetooth stack, updating firmware on the keyboards, or checking for compatibility issues with other software or drivers?

13.  Please provide us with the make and model of the BT keyboards you are trying to connect.

14.  Are you still using the custom firmware, or have you already removed it?

Please download and scan your system using our tool, Intel® System Support Utility so we can help check your system info first. Once finished downloading, open the tool, click on scan 'Everything', click next, then save the system information to a .txt file. Please provide the .txt file.

This document will be necessary to check your entire system, in order to find possible errors or incompatibilities.

Best regards,

Isaac Q. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Baregeek
Beginner
  1. It is the original adapter on the motherboard.
  2. Yes, Bluetooth is visible in Device Manager.
  3. The devices are in a constant state of connecting and disconnecting.  If you go to Bluetooth & Devices under Windows 11 Settings, they are listed as connected and then immediately Not Connected, over and over again.  If you unpair them, they fail to pair until the driver is downgraded. 
  4. No specific error other than the connection establishing and disconnecting repeatedly and failures to connect when pairing.
  5. They started immediately after the Bluetooth driver update to version 22.250.0.2
  6. I have no other Bluetooth devices connected to this computer and no other issues.
  7. I have a laptop with a Killer AX1675s that stays connected to a Bluetooth Razer Orochi v2 mouse and one of the ZMK Bluetooth keyboards without issue on the same driver.
  8. Windows 11 Pro 22H2 with no recent changes other than windows and driver updates.
  9. Not that I could find.  Is there any debugging functionality or logging on the connections that I could pull?
  10. This is a community maintained open-source project.  I did find one other person reporting the same issue with the same driver on their discord.  
  11. Nothing else on this PC is having issues, but nothing else is Bluetooth.  The issues do resolve when the driver is rolled back.  As stated on my laptop, the same driver version has not caused any connectivity issues with any Bluetooth devices.
  12. Yes, I fully uninstalled the drivers, deleted all of the Bluetooth devices in device manager, reinstalled the driver clean and had the same issue.
  13. These are both custom mechanical keyboards.  Here are the PCBs for the two keyboards that have issues:  nice!60 - Nice Keyboards BT75 - 75% Wireless Hotswap Tray Mount PCB with RGB underglow and whit – Upgrade Keyboards.  I have installed the latest release firmware for both of them and they are made from different manufacturers.  
  14. As they are custom mechanical keyboards, they only use custom firmware!  I have had no issues connecting them to other drivers, adapters or even devices such as IOS or Android.  I only have issues with AX201 and this specific driver.

Thank you for your quick response, please let me know what else I can provide!  How can I PM you the support file?

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello @Baregeek

We would like to express our gratitude for your prompt response. Your insights and information are invaluable to us and will undoubtedly contribute to the resolution of your issue.

To facilitate the process of attaching the SSU text file, kindly follow these steps:

1. Click on the three dots located in the upper right corner of the post.
  2. Select the "Edit" option for your reply.
  3. Utilize the "Drag and drop here" or "Browse files to attach" feature to upload and share the necessary file within this thread.

Should you require any further assistance or have additional questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to us.

Best regards,

Isaac Q.

0 Kudos
Baregeek
Beginner

It would not let me edit the previous post, so the SSU file is attached here.  Thank you!

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello @Baregeek

I appreciate your prompt response and for providing us with the SSU report.

Upon a thorough examination of the report, it has come to our attention that both your Bluetooth and Wi-Fi drivers are not up to date in accordance with the latest versions available on the motherboard's official website.

As this wireless adapter originally came with your motherboard, we highly recommend updating the drivers to the latest versions before delving deeper into the issue.

To proceed, kindly follow these steps:

Perform a clean installation of the most recent Bluetooth driver as specified on the motherboard's official website:

·      Motherboard driver list.

·      Motherboard Wi-Fi latest driver: 22.160.0.3

·      Motherboard latest Bluetooth Driver: 22.160.0.3

By taking these initial steps, we aim to eliminate any potential driver-related issues. Should the problem persist even after updating the drivers, please rest assured that we will further investigate your case and promptly get back to you with our findings.

We understand that our driver is newer than the motherboard driver, however, It’s worth mentioning that Intel® provides generic versions of software and drivers. When talking about drivers, the computer manufacturer (OEM) may have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes.

For this reason, we recommend the installation of the drivers provided by the manufacturer to avoid any potential impact caused by loading non-customized drivers.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Best regards,

Isaac Q.

0 Kudos
Baregeek
Beginner

I know that rolling back to the manufacturer driver resolves the issue.  In fact, downgrading to just the previous release resolves this issue.  This points to a bug in the latest driver.  My main concern is that the OEM drivers are over a year old at this point and lacking several fixes that have been included in newer drivers.  I can roll back to a previous release and resolve this issue, but I wanted to make you aware of the experience on the latest driver so that it can be looked into.  

There are other issues reporting connectivity issues with this driver release and other devices as well:

Beelink Ser6 Pro: USB ports and Bluetooth not working , quite disheartening. : r/BeelinkOfficial (reddit.com)

Blue screen due to Bluetooth ( XPS 15 9520 ) : r/DellXPS (reddit.com)

Dell 7330 looses bluetooth connectivity / intel 12th gen : r/Dell (reddit.com)

It was refreshing to see a manufacturer engaging with customers to take feedback.  I understand that OEM drivers are the "tested" and supported versions, but I stated from the beginning that I was able to resolve my own issue with an earlier driver. It would be nice if our experiences could be funneled back to the driver developers.

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello @Baregeek,

We extend our gratitude for your prompt response.

We highly value the feedback you've shared with us. It's important to clarify the rationale behind recommending OEM drivers. OEMs typically tailor their drivers to offer optimal performance for their specific products. This is why we suggested installing an older version. Nevertheless, we are appreciative of the insights you've provided regarding the issues with our latest driver.

Our foremost commitment is to deliver top-notch products, encompassing both software and hardware. We eagerly welcome and rely upon customer feedback to enhance our offerings. Your comments are invaluable in this regard.

Moving forward, we will initiate an internal review of the matter with the responsible team. Rest assured, we will keep you updated as soon as we have a resolution.

Warm regards,

Isaac Q.

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello Baregeek,

We would like to extend our gratitude for your patience and for the invaluable feedback you have shared with us. Your input is highly appreciated, and we want to assure you that we have diligently reviewed your comments. These insights have been relayed to the relevant team responsible for implementing the necessary improvements in our future endeavors.

Once more, we wish to thank you for your dedication and the constructive comments you've provided throughout this process. Please take note that this thread will no longer be under the active monitoring of Intel. Your understanding in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Isaac Q.

0 Kudos