Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7425 Discussions

Device Manager Error 37

RvA
Novice

Good day

I have a Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 adapter on a Dell Vostro 15 giving an Error 37 in device manager (Windows 10 64bit).  I've tried uninstalling the driver and scanning for hardware changes.  I've installed the driver again from Windows updates, as well as from the intel website.  The error is still there.  The adapter was working fine and just stopped after suspending Windows.  I can also see the adapter in the BIOS.

Your assistance will be much appreciated...

Kind regards

Rudi

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
RvA
Novice

Thanks for the advice - I'll keep that in mind.  I actually got the issue resolved by installing an older version of the driver from a similar laptop that we have at the office.

Thanks again for the assistance!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Have you tried doing a clean install of the drivers? Here is my process for doing so: 

1. If you haven't already, download - but do not install just yet - the latest Bluetooth and WiFi drivers for your adapter. Here are links to these drivers: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30434 and https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30515.
  2. Disable Internet access. Unplug Ethernet cable and/or disable wireless. Keep disabled until told to re-enable.
  3. From Apps & Features, check for instances of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Intel Wireless Bluetooth. If none, skip to step 6.
  4. Uninstall each instance of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Intel Wireless Bluetooth that is present. When prompted, choose to "Discard Settings".
  5. Manually reboot your computer, keeping Internet access disabled.
  6. In Device Manager, check Network Adapters for an entry for Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165. If none, go to Step 9.
  7. Right click on the entry for Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165and uninstall it, choosing to (checkmark) Delete the driver software for this device.
  8. Go to Step 5.
  9. (Optional but recommended) Clean out all temporary files using the Windows Clean Disk tool. I recommend that you checkmark all categories offered, even if no files currently (so it leaves it set up for next invocation).
  10. (Optional but recommended) Clear each of your browsers' cache.
  11. Install the Bluetooth driver package (rule: always do Bluetooth first).
  12. Install the Wireless driver package.
  13. Manually shutdown and reboot your computer.
  14. Enable Internet access.
  15. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
RvA
Novice

Hi Scott

Thanks for the feedback.  Unfortunately these steps did not help.  I'm still getting Error Code 37 on the wireless adapter.  I'm now considering reinstalling Windows, or just getting a USB WiFi adapter.  I'm not sure if the actual hardware is the problem.  Most forums that I checked solved the issue by simply reinstalling the driver.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Dell systems have this annoying habit if reenabling and thus reinstalling the wireless after a reboot. Make sure that the system is not able to connect to the Internet from Step 2 through Step 14.

TBH, I have seen so many problems with the 3165 that I get rid of it whenever I encounter it. You can purchase a replacement - an upgrade - for usually only ~US$25. You can replace it with an AX200 module and have WiFi 6, Wireless-AX and Bluetooth 5.1 support and upgrade from 433Mb/s to 2400Mb/s throughput. Alternatively, you could use the AX210 module and have WiFi 6e support along with the rest.

...S

0 Kudos
RvA
Novice

Thanks for the advice - I'll keep that in mind.  I actually got the issue resolved by installing an older version of the driver from a similar laptop that we have at the office.

Thanks again for the assistance!

0 Kudos