Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

Download speeds on Intel Wireless-AC 9650 is too slow

shobhit
Novice

In the past few weeks, the Intel Wireless-AC 9650 is too slow on my home wifi. I have tested it on other wifi networks as well. So, I believe the issue is with my device. Speed tests on my home wifi is fast on all other devices (roughly 90Mbps download and upload speeds) but my device gives under 1Mbps download speeds.

I believe it is a driver related issue. When i perform a network reset on my Windows 10 laptop, the issue is resolved for a few hours and then it starts again. The same thing happens when I try to reinstall the driver.

I have faced the issue with driver versions 21.10.2.2 and 21.110.2.1

Here is a screenshot of the speedtest on my device

ss_speed.jpg

Here is a screenshot on another device on the same wifi network at the same location.

ss_speed_fast.jpg

Also, the LAN on my device works perfectly fine. So i would rule out firewall issues.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

shobhit, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this matter, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

What is the model of the Router?

What is the model of the motherboard?

If this is a laptop, what is the model of it?

Is this a new computer?

Was it working fine before?

When did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

The wireless card, did you purchased it separately or did it came installed on the computer?

Please provide the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your laptop:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
shobhit
Novice

Hi,

1. Router: D-Link Dir-600M N150 Broadband Wireless Router

2. it is a laptop. Dell Latitude 5500

3. It is a few months old.

4. Yes, it worked properly from July to mid October.

5. The issue started around October 16 to October 18

6. I did not make any recent changes to the hardware. (Normal Windows updates happen regularly)

7. The wireless card was shipped as part of the laptop

And I shall private message you the SSU report because it might contain sensitive info.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hi shobhit, Thank you very much for providing that information.

Just to let you know, we always recommend to install the Wireless driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was heavily customized by them to work with your specific platform, in this case version 21.110.2.1, A11:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/latitude-15-5500-laptop/drivers

Since you already installed that driver version, we can now test the Intel® Generic Wireless driver version 22.0.0.6, please try a clean installation of that driver and once you get the chance, please let us know the results:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29902/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters?product=99446

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless.html

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
shobhit
Novice

Hi, I followed the clean install procedure for version 22.0.0.6 . Speeds restored to normal. However, after a few hours the problem resurfaced. And it is still present when I turned on the laptop in the morning.

0 Kudos
shobhit
Novice

A restart on the laptop has fixed the issue for now. I will continue to monitor it

0 Kudos
shobhit
Novice

The issue resurfaced again. And a pc restart again brought back speeds to normal

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hi shobhit, Thank you very much for sharing those details, we are sorry to hear the issue persists.

We will do further research on this matter, for us to be able to do that we just need the SSU report, so, I will send you an email for you to reply to it with that report since it might contain sensitive info.

Please verify your inbox. 

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

shobhit, Thank you very much for providing the SSU report.

We will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello shobhit, I just received an update on this matter.

Just to confirm, by any chance, did you try rolling back Windows* to build 1909? If not and if you have the possibility, for testing purposes you can try that to confirm if the behavior of the download speeds is the same or not.

If you do not have that option mentioned above, then what we recommend will be to get in contact directly with the manufacturer of the laptop since in this case, the issue could be related to a hardware faulty component, it may require a physical inspection or a possible replacement and they will be able to further assist you providing their warranty options:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos