Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Driver Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 1000 compatibility issue

AKuma332
Beginner

I am using Dell laptop Inspiron 15 N5010, windows 10 with Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 1000. Earlier my WiFi was working, but now wireless adapter is not detecting available wireless connection/signal. Could anyone help for this problem?

0 Kudos
21 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello AKuma332

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We would like to inform you that due to the Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1000 has been discontinued, Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it, but perhaps fellow community members have the knowledge to jump in and help. You may also find the following links helpful to address your request:

You can verify this product's discontinuance status at http://ark.intel.com/ > Product Status > "Discontinued". 

Thank you for understanding.

Best Regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AKuma332
Beginner
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

So what did you change? If this first usage with Windows 10? If not, did you recently upgrade your Windows 10?

What I suggest you try is, with the laptop isolated from the Internet, completely uninstall the existing WiFi package, reboot and then reinstall the last package for this adapter. I show the last package as being version 18.40.4. I have an archive of this package if you need it.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
AKuma332
Beginner

Thank you for your reply.

I did not change anything. Might be some updates taken by system.

I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 long back.

Further, I will try as you suggested.

Meanwhile if you can share latest version, it could be highly appreciable.

Looking forward to hear from you.

0 Kudos
rambob
Beginner

Two questions...1) how do you completely uninstall the package and 2) would you mind making the archive available?  Thank you in advance as I'm having the same issue with no known changes.  Could be that Windows update changed something behind the scenes but I have restored back to a month ago and still am having issues.  Device manager says it cannot start the adapter.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Here is the complete algorithm:

1. Download the Wireless driver package onto the PC.
  2. Disable Internet access. Unplug Ethernet cable and/or disable wireless. Keep disabled until told to re-enable.
  3. From Apps & Features, check for instances of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Intel Wireless Bluetooth. If none, skip to step 6.
  4. Uninstall each instance of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Intel Wireless Bluetooth that is present. When prompted, choose to "Discard Settings".
  5. Manually reboot your computer, keeping Internet access disabled.
  6. In Device Manager, check Network Adapters for an entry for Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000. If none, go to Step 9.
  7. Right click on the entry for Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 and uninstall it, choosing to (checkmark) Delete the driver software for this device.
  8. Go to Step 5.
  9. (Optional but recommended) Clean out all temporary files using the Windows Clean Disk tool. I recommend that you checkmark all categories offered, even if no files currently (so it leaves it set up for next invocation).
  10. (Optional but recommended) Clear each of your browsers' cache.
  11. Install the Wireless driver package.
  12. Manually shutdown and reboot your computer.
  13. Enable Internet access.
  14. Test.

I am sending you an IM regarding how to download the driver package.

...S

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Having a problem with your account on IM. Please send me an IM.

...S

0 Kudos
rambob
Beginner
Steve...I’m sorry but I have no idea how to IM on this site. Is there another way to get the archive file?
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Steve sometimes answers to Scott<G>

Look at this screen shot:

AlHill_0-1612315424249.png

Go to the envelope in the upper right.  Then, to the icon in the lower left.  Now you can make a PM (for Scott).

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
Or just 'hey you'.
When I attempted to IM to rambob, I was unable to specify his account. IDK why, but it says Not Found. If he can IM to me, I can respond with info for download.
...S
0 Kudos
rambob
Beginner
0 Kudos
DANTE1989
Beginner

i apologize for the inconvenience, i know i should discuss about this matter elsewhere but.Please send me the latest BIOS for dh77kc.

amirrezat76@gmail.com    

0 Kudos
rambob
Beginner
I’ve unzipped and installed the driver file and uninstalled the wireless adapter, rebooted and now the adapter does not show up in device manager. Scanned for hardware changes, etc but still no wireless-n 1000 adapter in list.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Huh? Uninstalled what wireless adapter? Are you exactly following the algorithm I detailed above?

...S

0 Kudos
rambob
Beginner
I did yes...see step 7. Says to locate the adapter in device mgr and uninstall it.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Oh, ok, you didn't say that well and had me all confused. I thought you were saying you removed the adapter, not the driver.

So, you uninstalled the driver(s) and then rebooted. Next you invoked the installer executable that I provided to start installing the driver package - but the installer is failing saying that no adapter is present?

Now, throughout all of this, you haven't physically touched the adapter at all, right? At the same time, you are still completely disconnected from the Internet, right?

...S

0 Kudos
rambob
Beginner
No...I uninstalled the drivers successfully, ran the install successfully, rebooted and no, I’m not connected to internet nor did I physically remove the card. But the wireless adapter does NOT appear in the network devices section of device manager.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Ok, something strange going on here. I need more information. Please download and run the Intel System Support Utility for Windows. Select all data categories, generate the report and then have the tool Save the report to a text file. Don't try to use the tool's Submit capability; it doesn't work. Finally, using the Drag and drop here or browse files to attach dialog below the edit box for the body of your response post, upload and attach this file to the response post.

...S

0 Kudos
rambob
Beginner
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Ok, let's go through the situation.

The event log data included at the end of the SSU report are telling me that the version of the driver that is installed is not the right version for the Centrino Wireless-N 1000 card. Now, the version of the driver that I provided was from the last release of the wireless drivers that Intel included support for this card. These two points would appear to be in conflict.

After doing some investigation, I discovered that, while this is the right version of the drivers, support for the Centrino Wireless-N 1000 card was only provided for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. That is, the Windows 10 driver package does not include a driver for this card. In fact, Intel has never provided a Windows 10 driver for the Centrino Wireless-N 1000 card.

According to the Supported Operating Systems for Intel Wireless Products page, Microsoft included inbox support for this adapter in Windows 10. I believe that this inbox support is essentially a port of the Windows 8.1 driver provided by Intel to Windows 10. Now, this driver was provided on a best-effort basis, meaning that if it works, great, but if it doesn't, well, you really have no recourse.

Ok, all that said, what you need to do is uninstall the driver package that you installed and return to the Microsoft-supplied inbox driver. Alternatively, you can either look for a replacement wireless card to put in the laptop (presuming Toshiba didn't include inclusion/exclusion lists in their BIOS) or utilize a USB-based wireless solution.

Sorry I don't have a better answer,

...S