Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7439 Discussions

Dual Band Wireless AC 8265 update issue

JoNeri
Novice

I have an Intel dual Band wireless AC 8265 board on my HP Spectre x360 Convertible

I recently received an update message both for the Wifi and Bluetooth. 

Using the intel Driver and support Assistant I commenced the update of both the drivers.

While the Bluetooth driver got updated the WIfi driver kept throwing up an error message that the Install had failed. I tried repeatedly but I received the same message.

And then the next day when I attempted to update the Wifi driver again I was surprised to note that it said that that the driver was up to date.

The current driver version for the Wifi installed is 20.70.17.1 dated 4/16/2020 whereas the Bluetooth driver is 21.110.0.3 dated 6/29/2020

Have I missed out on the latest update for the Wifi Driver ? If so what can I do to update the wifi Driver ?

Jo Neri

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @JoNeri 

1. Try clean installation of  an WiFi driver:

2. Download the latest WiFi driver package WiFi_21.110.1_Driver64_Win10.zip  Unzip the WiFi_21.110.1_Driver64_Win10.zip on your drive (I'm assuming that you have 64 bit Windows 10. In case that your have other Windows installation, chose the relevant driver).

3. In the Device Manager > Network Adapters click on WiFi adapter and chose Uninstall (check the "Delete this software... option).  Reboot your computer. 

4.  In the Device Manager click on the default WiFi driver and chose Update. Browse to the directory with the unzipped WiFi Driver and continue with installation.

6. Reboot your laptop.

Leon

View solution in original post

14 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @JoNeri 

1. Try clean installation of  an WiFi driver:

2. Download the latest WiFi driver package WiFi_21.110.1_Driver64_Win10.zip  Unzip the WiFi_21.110.1_Driver64_Win10.zip on your drive (I'm assuming that you have 64 bit Windows 10. In case that your have other Windows installation, chose the relevant driver).

3. In the Device Manager > Network Adapters click on WiFi adapter and chose Uninstall (check the "Delete this software... option).  Reboot your computer. 

4.  In the Device Manager click on the default WiFi driver and chose Update. Browse to the directory with the unzipped WiFi Driver and continue with installation.

6. Reboot your laptop.

Leon

JoNeri
Novice

thankyou @LeonWaksman . I updated by the clean install following your advice after downloading the zip from the link you sent.

The driver updated to 20.70.18.2 dated 6/24/2020.

This must be part of the in package  21.110.1 applicable to my board 8265.

I suppose I am now good to receive future updates from Intel.

Thankyou

Jo Neri

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @JoNeri 

You are OK now. I'm glad.

Leon

JoNeri
Novice

Hi @LeonWaksman 

Are you still around ?

You had resolved my problem in 2020

I am back with an issue in 2023

I still have my old Laptop HP spectre 360 with a 8265 Network card.

Recently had to reinstall Win 10. After the install although the Windows has restored with the latest version my Network card drivers are stuck.

Wifi Driver 20.70.32.1 dt 7/24/2022

Bluetooth 10.0.19041.2846 dt 6/21/2006

The last time you had sent me a link with a zip file for the latest drivers for the 8265. Such a Zip file is not available on the Intel site. Only the executable files .exe are available. I downloaded both the Wifi and Bluetooth executable driver file  for my card, Uninstalled both devices and then ran the executables but the drivers resumed to the original old state.

the Intel Update tool does not report any new driver available although the new version is out there.

Can you please help me ? If you could send a link with the latest zip files for these drivers I would be grateful and try you "Clean install solution"  that worked the last time.

Regds

Thankyou in advance

Jo Neri

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Jo,

I'm still here and I'll try to help you.

In order to get better information about your system, please download the Intel System Support Utility (SSU). Run the SSU scan (check "Everything") and save the results. The .txt file with the results please attach to your post.

One additional thing you should know - since you have reinstalled Windows on your laptop, it is important to install  Intel Chipset Installation Utility and Driver first after installing a Windows, before installing any other device drivers.  The next driver to be installed is Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Driver.  Only after installing this drivers and rebooting your laptop, you may continue with installation of other drivers. 

I got the link for the above drivers from the HP Download Site

Leon

0 Kudos
JoNeri
Novice

Dear Leon

Thankyou for your prompt response

I downloaded the SSU and am attaching the  .txt file generated.

The Intel Chip set installation utility installed but I do not see it in my list pf programmes.

When I attempted to install the IMEI a pop up said a newer version has already been installed so I did not proceed.

Will await further advice from you

Thankyou and regards

J Neri

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Jo,

I affray that I can't support  you any more, since I'm not familiar enough with your laptop.  After checking the SSU report attached to your post, it's looks that this is the correct download page for your laptop.  If this is the case, you should download the correct Chipset Driver and reinstall it over the installed one:  open the Administrative command prompt and browse to the directory where the driver was downloaded.  Then run command: sp78555.exe -overide -overall

You may try to click on the the "Detect my drivers" button on the Download page to download other drivers.

I suggest you should address more question to the HP Support.

Leon

JoNeri
Novice

Dear Leon

Thankyou for your time and effort.

I am a bit disappointed but since my Laptop is working, I guess I will live with it, until I decide to upgrade the laptop itself. It is only this urge to keep updating to the latest version of drivers that keeps me restless.

The suggestion to try the Chipset driver did not help and a check for the HP drivers revealed that I have the latest and do not require an update. 

Incidentally the Intel Driver and Support Assistant was popping up a recommendation to update my Graphics Driver with a 7th-10th Gen Processor Graphics Driver. So I did so and the Graphics driver updated to the latest 2023 version. 

I still wonder why the same Assistant is not finding the latest driver for the Intel Wifi 8265 Card. 

Thankyou once again

I will keep trying and will update you if I ever succeed

Joe Neri

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Joe,

The Intel DSA works quite well with Intel NUC computers (also with some exceptions).  For example on my NUC8i7HVK I have installed Dual Band WiFi adapter AC8265 (same as on your laptop). The WiFi driver I have installed is version 20.70.32.1 (same version you have installed). This version is extracted from WiFi Driver Package version 22.170.0.3 (the latest package approved for NUC8i7HVK). In the Release Note document, you may find that the latest version for AC8265 adapter is version 20.70.32.1.  So, in my opinion you have the latest version installed. If you are looking on released driver found on this page , I didn't checked it, since it is not approved for my NUC.

Leon

0 Kudos
JoNeri
Novice

Dear Leon

Thankyou for still being around.

Yes my Wifi Driver ver is indeed 22.170.0.3 and seems to be working fine.

My BT driver however is very old  10.0.19041.2846 dt 6/21/2006. 

I had newer versions before I had to reinstall Win 10.

By the way Search - Intel.com shows the Wifi driver as ver 22.200.2 dt 04/20/2023 and the BT driver 20.200.0.2 dt 03/22/2023

Both of these failed to change the Driver versions on laptop. While the Wifi .exe file completes the update process but there is no change in the driver version, The BT   .exe does not go through the update process and a pop up says I already have a newer version.

Thanks anyway

Joe Neri

Chandigarh 

India

0 Kudos
JoNeri
Novice

Hi Leon

Further to my last post

I think I have not been reading the Intel pages fully

Just discovered that the 8265 has reached its end of life support and will no longer be updated. Hence the last and latest driver is indeed 22.170.0.3 even though the recent update package ver 22.200.2 dt 04/20/2023, it still contains only the older Wifi driver 22.170.0.3. Hence you are right. And I have this ver already installed. 

But what about the BT driver ??. Although also end of life, the package is 22.200.0 dt 03/22/2023, the driver version is 20.200.0.2.

I have  10.0.19041.2846 dt 6/21/2006.

You can help me to update the BT driver to this ver.  I have tried updating with the clean install by uninstalling the BT driver and then running the BT driver .exe. Probably I also need to delete some other files and Registry Keys. 

Can you offer a solution please ?

Joe Neri

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Joe,

Before I'll give you instruction how to reinstall the BT driver, I want you to verify what actually the BT driver version is installed on your computer:

1. Run the Intel DSA and check what is the version of Intel Wireless Bluetooth (rather than Bluetooth Device (personal Area Network))

or

2. Open the Device Manager - Bluetooth tab. Right click on Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R). Next click on Properties and then on the Driver tab. Check version.

Please read the Intel document.

Leon

0 Kudos
JoNeri
Novice

Dear Leon,

Surprisingly the  DSA reports the BT has a Microsoft Driver 

• Driver Details
  • Provider Microsoft
  • Version10.0.19041.2846 Date 6/21/2006

The Device Manager also shows the driver version as 10.0.19041.2846  dt 21-Jun-06

The DSA shows the Wifi Driver as Intel 20.70.32.1.

So while the Wifi driver is correctly being reflected as an Intel Driver the BT driver is the old stock Microsoft driver.

I have tried everything from uninstalling and reinstalling with the latest  .exe BT Driver. But it is stuck on the Microsoft Driver.

Trust you can help

Thanks

Regds

Joe Neri

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Joe,

Can't help you more. Please read my latest post again. The Microsoft Driver Version10.0.19041.2846 is version of the Bluetooth Device (personal Area Network) and not of the Intel Wireless Bluetooth.

Regards

Leon

0 Kudos