Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7365 Discussions

Faulting application name: ZeroConfigService.exe, version: 19.60.0.0

TMurs
Beginner

I have a Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 wireless card and am running the latest drivers available from Intel. I receive the following Application Error every time I shutdown/reboot my computer:

Faulting application name: ZeroConfigService.exe, version: 19.60.0.0, time stamp: 0x58d16fa6

Faulting module name: ZeroConfigService.exe, version: 19.60.0.0, time stamp: 0x58d16fa6

Exception code: 0x40000015

Fault offset: 0x000000000022af96

Faulting process id: 0x1640

Faulting application start time: 0x01d2df516992f57c

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\ZeroConfigService.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\ZeroConfigService.exe

Report Id: 52df7da4-4b45-11e7-9fc0-f48c506ef766

I believe the ZeroConfigService is not handling shutdown requests gracefully. Can this service be disabled or set to demand start? It is currently set to auto start.

0 Kudos
27 Replies
TMurs
Beginner

In addition, I see corresponding Event 7034, Service Control Manager errors at the same time.

The Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Zero Configuration Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello orion44

We understand you're experiencing some errors in Event Log everytime you shut down your system.

In order to better assist you we would like to have the following information:

1. What issues are you experiencing in relation to this error?

2. Is this Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 an OEM installed adapter or an upgrade part?

3. Please download and run the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Intel® System Support Utility and share this report with us.

4. Please clear your system event logs, reproduce the issue, export your logs and share this complete file with us.

- Step 1: Clear your system event logs.

/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-475607-368506/Clear.jpg

/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-475607-368507/Clear 2.jpg

- Step 2: Reproduce the issue.

- Step 3: Save the logs.

/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-475607-368601/Save.jpg Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
TMurs
Beginner

Thanks for the follow-up. Here is the information you requested:

1. What issues are you experiencing in relation to this error?

Abnormally long or failed shutdowns.

2. Is this Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 an OEM installed adapter or an upgrade part?

Upgrade, not OEM.

3. Please download and run the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Intel® System Support Utility and share this report with us.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw1ajztYNaVhcjMzaHNKLVRJdGs intel_SSU_report.txt - Google Drive

4. Please clear your system event logs, reproduce the issue, export your logs and share this complete file with us.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw1ajztYNaVhc1d5OGRGNmlXWTQ system.evtx - Google Drive

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello orion44,

Thank you for this information, we will look into it. In the meantime, what is the brand and model of your desktop adapter for the 8260?

We'll let you know as soon as we have more information for you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
TMurs
Beginner
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello orion44,

Please keep in mind that this adapter is a custom version manufactured by Asus*. As such, we highly recommend engaging Asus* as your primary contact for assistance. In our best effort we can recommend performing a clean, driver only installation using our latest generic drivers:

1. Download and extract our latest IT Admin driver for your adapter: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26785/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-IT-Admins?v=t Wireless_19.60.0_Driver64_Win7.zip

2. Under Programs and Features in the Control Panel, uninstall any instance of the "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software." When prompted, choose to "discard settings."

3. Go to the Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel(R) Dual Band Wireles-AC 8260 and uninstall it. Make sure to mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device."

4. Clear out your temporary files: Press the Windows* Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe and press OK. Here you will need to make sure Temporary Files are checked, you may uncheck everything else, then press OK.

5. Reboot your computer.

6. Go to the Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel(R) Dual Band Wireles-AC 8260 again, this time choose to "Update driver software..." > Select the option to "Locate and install driver software manually." Here you will need to direct the wizard to the location where you extracted the IT Admin package back in step one.

By using the driver only method you will then allow your OS to handle your wireless networks, which may prevent your shutdown issue from happening.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
TMurs
Beginner

Thanks, I'll do this workaround for now.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello orion44,

Let us know how it works out.

If using PROSet is a must, we can also try using an older driver. If an OS reinstallation is within our possibilities, this may also be a good troubleshooting step in this case.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
TMurs
Beginner

Using PROSet is a not must, was only preferred. The barebones driver method you detailed above will work for me. I will try the Intel driver/PROSet package in the future after it's updated and see if the issue persists.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello orion44,

We don't recommend disabling ZeroConfigService as this service helps the PROSet trigger network reconnects and roaming events.

However, you can also test your system using older PROSet versions to see if the issue carries on: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005634.html Download Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Wi-Fi Drivers.

If the issue occurs independent of driver version, then you may return to using the driver only method or letting Windows* manage your Wi-Fi.

We hope this information helps.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
FBirr
Novice

Same issue here (ZeroConfigService.exe) after Intel PROSet/Wireless WiFi & Bluetooth to version 19.60.0.0 or 19.70.0.0

(*) Intel drivers version 19.50.0.0 was running fine.

- Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro (20266 / 80AY), BIOS 76CN43WW, Intel i7 4500U, Intel HD Graphics 4400 (driver: 20.19.15.4642), Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 7260 (Network driver: 18.33.7.2) & (BT driver: 19.41.0.1), 8GB RAM, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB, Windows 10 Professional - 64 bits (15063.483)

Note: Already sent SSU system information through Intel Customer Support (option).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Birraque,

In this case our main recommendation will be to use the system specific drivers provided by your computer manufacturer. The version found through our download center is only the latest generic version and does not take into account OEM customizations.

- http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/YOGA-SERIES/YOGA-2-PRO-LENOVO/downloads/DS103765 Intel® WLAN Driver for Windows® 10 (64-bit) - Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro*

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

Alternatively, you may try using our driver only installation method:

1. Download and extract our latest https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26930/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-IT-Admins?v=t Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for IT Admins.

2. Under Programs and Features in the Control Panel, uninstall any instance of the "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software." When prompted, choose to "discard settings."

3. Go to the Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless AC 7260 and uninstall it. Make sure to mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device."

4. Clear out your temporary files: Press the Windows* Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe and press OK. Here you will need to make sure Temporary Files are checked, you may uncheck everything else (unless you're ok with the extra wait) and press OK.

5. Go to the Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless AC 7260 again, this time choose to "Update driver software..." > Select the option to "Locate and install driver software manually." Here you will need to direct the wizard to the location where you extracted the IT Admin package back in step one.

6. Reboot your computer.

As an optional step you may then apply our http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005544.html recommended connectivity settings.

Best regards,

Carlos A.

0 Kudos
FBirr
Novice

Hello Carlos,

The OEM's Driver (WLAN) link you provide isn't compatible with WiDi (Miracast) and latest Windows 10 versions (Anniversary or Creators Update). The release date is ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2015.

Anyway I'm not using the OEM Intel Wireless N 7260 by Lenovo. My Yoga 2 Pro is running now with Intel Dual Band AC 7260 by Intel (Upgrade, not-OEM).

As I mentioned before everything was fine until Intel's Driver (WLAN & BT) version 19.50.0.0 them with latest 19.60.0.0 and 19.70.0.0 the error with ZeroConfigService.exe started.

How can we handle it?

Regards,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Birraque,

I see, in this case, I can only pass the feedback along to our software team. However, wireless upgrades are not applicable for support. So far, we have received a few reports of this exact issue, and each case was also a wireless integration/upgrade.

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005687.html Regulatory Information Regarding Wireless Hardware Installation or Upgrade.

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005846.html Why Doesn't My Laptop Recognize My New Intel® Wireless Adapter?

Because of this, we can only recommend downgrading to the latest PROSet Wireless Software/driver version that worked properly for you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
FBirr
Novice

Hello Carlos,

I think it's important to pass this ZeroConfigService.exe issue to Intel's Software & Developer Team.

Please push them to fix it in the next update for Intel Dual Band AC 7260.

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Birraque,

We will definitely do. I can't guarantee the fix will be implemented right away, but do keep on testing our upcoming updates until the issue has been resolved.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
JPort7
Beginner

I'm getting these problems too and Reliability Monitor is inundated with page faults from ZeroConfigService.exe

Mine is not an upgrade but a NUC7i3xxx.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello james079,

The new Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers package is set to be released early next week and contains fixes for this problem.

We can let you know once it's published so that you may test it and let us know if it resolves the issue.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
JPort7
Beginner

That's good to hear. Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello james079,

Regrettably, a bug was identified which is delaying the release of the upcoming wireless driver. For the time being, would it be possible for you to downgrade to http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005634.html Intel® PROSet Wireless Software and Drivers version 19.50.0? This older version should not give you any ZeroConfigService.exe issues.

We'll make sure to post once the new driver is ready.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos