Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

How to enable VLAN trunk on Windows Server 2016 core SET vSwitch based on X553 NIC?

MWolt3
Beginner

Hi.

I have Windows Server 2016 core running on SuperMicro A2SDI-4C board (using onboard quadport Intel X553 NIC). The NICs are configured as switch embedded team for a Hyper-V external vSwitch. Some VM and some vNIC in the host OS are on different VLANs (VLAN1 untagged, VLAN11 tagged). Setup of vSwitch and VLAN of vNICs is done according to the MS technet documentation. The physical switch is a D-Link DGS-1210 and is configured accordingly.

Unfortunately, the SET team only passes untagged traffic, no matter if I activate or deactivate VLAN&QoS. VLAN-ID of the pNIC is set to 0 (doesn't work with 1 or 11 either). Tagging all LAN traffic also didn't help. I tried this using driver versions 23.2 (latest version provided by SuperMicro) and 23.5.

Having read through dozens of websites, I'm at a point where I think, this is a driver issue or can you tell me the correct settings for the pNICs advanced properties?

Thank you.

Kind regards

Martin

PS: Here is a test script I used to try VLAN tagging using only pNIC1 in the SET team. I used two of the above mentioned machines, the first with IPs 10.42.0.202 and 10.42.11.2 and the second with IPs 10.42.0.204 and 10.42.11.4. They will only ping each other, if I remove the VLAN tag on the vNIC and set the respective VLAN to untagged on the D-Link.

New-VMSwitch -Name TESTswitch -NetAdapterName "LAN1" -EnableEmbeddedTeaming $true -AllowManagementOS $false

add-vmnetworkadapter -switchname TESTswitch -name TestLAN -managementos

Rename-NetAdapter -Name "vEthernet (TestLAN)" -NewName "TestLAN"

Set-NetIPInterface -InterfaceAlias “TestLAN” -dhcp Disabled

Disable-NetAdapterBinding –InterfaceAlias “TestLAN” –ComponentID ms_tcpip6

New-NetIPAddress –InterfaceAlias “TestLAN” –IPAddress 10.42.11.4 –PrefixLength 24

Set-VMNetworkAdapterVlan -ManagementOS -VMNetworkAdapterName "TestLAN" -Access -VlanId 11

add-vmnetworkadapter -switchname TESTswitch -name Inet -managementos

Rename-NetAdapter -Name "vEthernet (Inet)" -NewName "Inet"

Set-NetIPInterface -InterfaceAlias “Inet” -dhcp Disabled

Disable-NetAdapterBinding –InterfaceAlias “Inet” –ComponentID ms_tcpip6

New-NetIPAddress –InterfaceAlias “Inet” –IPAddress 10.42.0.204 –PrefixLength 24

Set-VMNetworkAdapterVlan -ManagementOS -VMNetworkAdapterName "Inet" -Access -VlanId 1

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello MWolt3, Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. We will investigate this issue and update you soon. Please let us know if you have any other questions. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello MWolt3, Have you already checked with Supermicro if there is a firmware update for this controller, or any known issues? Please download the System Support Utility from the link below, and attach a log file for us to investigate this issue. 1- Download from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- 2- Open SSU.exe 3- Mark the box "Everything" and then click "Scan". 4- When finished scanning, click "Next". 5- Click on "Save" and attach the file to a post. Let us know if you have any other questions. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
MWolt3
Beginner

Hello Daniel.

Thank you for helping me with that.

I downloaded the SSU utility for Windows but it didn't run. It tells me, the operation system is not supported. Is this probably because it is a Server core installation and doesn't have a GUI?

SuperMicro currently offers LAN driver version 23.2. I tried it but it didn't work either. I'm running the system now using version 23.5 from the Intel website. SuperMirco offers a BIOS update though.

Kind regards

Martin

0 Kudos
MWolt3
Beginner

Hello Daniel.

I set up a new machine with GUI. It uses the A2SDI-2C board instead of 4C, so it's the 2 core Denverton not the 4 core CPU but the NICs are the same and show the same problem. Please find attached the SSU log file. I tested some advancedproperty parameters and switched on and off SR-IOV, VMQ, Jumbo packets, QoS, Flow Control and VLAN. Nothing helped.

Kind regards

Martin

0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello MWolt3, Thank you for the SSU logs. We will investigate the logs and information provided, and update you soon. If you have any other questions please let us know. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello MWolt3, We are still checking on this issue with the provided information. Have you tested this prior to using the SET configurations? Please let us know if the issue is present without the SET configurations. If any other questions come up please do not hesitate to ask. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello MWolt3, Please let us know if you still require assistance. If so, please inform us if tagged traffic is passed prior to SET configurations. If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to ask. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
MWolt3
Beginner
Dear Daniel. Sorry for the dealy. I was on a business trip. VLAN is not working even prior to the SET configuration. I'm going to check the BIOS update next. Kind regards Martin
0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello MWolt3, Thank you for the reply. We will further check on this, and update you soon. Let us know if you have any other questions. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
MWolt3
Beginner
Dear Daniel. After I installed the BIOS update, VLAN was working on the single NICs without SET config. Unfortunately, I didn't work with SET activated until I disabled the Windows Firewall completely. So, it is working now, but the firewall needs to be deactivated on the host machine or everything needs to be allowed for every single VLAN (which is quite similar to deactivating it). The guest machines work with activated firewalls. So, the good news is: VLAN is working and it was a BIOS problem not driver problem. The consequtive question is: Do you have any suggestions for the firewall? Kind regards Martin
0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello MWolt3, Thank you for the update. We would recommend contacting Microsoft support since they would have a better understanding of the Hyper-V Virtual Switch and Firewall configurations in Windows Server 2016 Core. Please let us know if you have any other questions after checking with Microsoft. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello MWolt3, Please let us know if you were able to get support from Microsoft on this issue. If you have any questions after contacting Microsoft please let us know. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel
Hello MWolt3, Please let us know if you need other assistance after contacting Microsoft. Best regards, Crisselle C Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos