Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7431 Discussions

Intel 9260 Bluetooth and Driver Issue

Chris_online
Novice

Hello,

I have been having a Bluetooth usage issue with my 9260 card for some time but have not needed to use Bluetooth until very recently. While conducting troubleshooting steps for this Bluetooth issue, I uncovered another strange issue related to updating to the Intel drivers from the Windows Update drivers. I am using a fully updated Windows 1909 Education x64 edition, Windows 2004 is not being offered to my device yet at the time of writing. This model Intel card was installed by myself in my Asus UX330UAK laptop a year ago, but check the troubleshooting steps at the end for more detail.

The primary issue is that when turning on the Bluetooth using the windows action center and then connecting to a Bluetooth device, the WiFi connection will drop and will cease functioning until I either disconnect the Bluetooth device or turn back off the Bluetooth device with the windows action center. This issue persists when connected to either a 2.4 GHz (802.11n) network or a 5 GHz (802.11ac) one. During this time the Bluetooth functionality will perform as expected with the audio, hands free, data transfers, and contact sharing features all performing flawlessly.

The secondary issue is that while conducting troubleshooting steps for the primary issue, I discovered strange interoperability issues with the most recently released Intel Wireless driver. When using only the wireless drivers delivered through Windows Updates (Version 21.50.0.5), the WiFi (802.11n/ac) functionality of the card performs as expected. However, when updating the wireless card to the Intel provided driver (Version 21.90.3), I will be able to see wireless networks in the Windows 10 connection window but will be completely unable to connect to any WiFi network. This includes any WiFi network I was previously able to connect to without issue. Performing a complete driver uninstall and then permitting Windows Update to install the (21.50.0.5) driver will restore normal WiFi functionality.

Below are the list of troubleshooting steps I have performed and their results, and I have attached the output file from Intel SSU for review. Any help would be appreciated as this has been plaguing me for almost a year. Thank you for your time in advance.

1. Using WiFi with the Bluetooth function turned off in the Windows Action center. RESULT: Normal operation with no issues. See Step1.png.
  2. Using WiFi with the Bluetooth function turned on in the Windows Action center, but not connected to any Bluetooth devices. RESULT: Normal operation with no issues. See Step2.png.
  3. Attempted to connect various Bluetooth devices to the laptop over time; including Bluetooth speakers, cellphones and smart televisions. RESULT: All WiFi connectivity is dropped (inclusive of all 802.11g/n/ac networks), but the list of available networks in the Action Center continues to list available WiFi networks. See Step3.png.
  4. Disconnect the Bluetooth device from the laptop using the laptop or the device to perform the disconnect. RESULT: Wifi connection restored. See Step4.png.
  5. Reconnect the Bluetooth device. RESULT: WiFi connection drops as in Step 3.
  6. Restarted laptop and turned the laptop completely off and back on again. RESULT: Issue persists.
  7. Performed a manual Windows Update to check for any driver updates. RESULT: No new driver updates found. Issue persists.
  8. Connected to different WiFi networks and then reconnected a Bluetooth device. RESULT: Issue persists.
  9. Performed a Full system scan with Windows Defender. RESULT: No threats found. Issue persists.
  10. Performed an Offline system scan with Windows Defender RESULT: No threats found. Issue persists.
  11. Performed a Windows Powershell command {sfc /scannow}. RESULT: "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations". Issue persists.
  12. Powered down the laptop, opened the access cover, and removed/reinstalled the Intel 9260 wireless card. Ensured both antenna cables were connected and inspected the cables for damage. RESULT: No damage found and no loose connections were found. Issue persists.
  13. Downloaded and installed the latest Intel provided drivers for WiFi (Version 21.90.3) and Bluetooth (Version 21.90.2). RESULT: Upon installation the ability to connect to any WiFi network will cease. All networks will be visible but upon attempting to connect to any network, Windows will try to connect but then show a message "Can't connect to this network".
  14. Restarted the laptop, and also powered off and turned on the laptop. RESULT: Issue from Step 13 persists.
  15. Performed a Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html) and upon completion used Windows Update to automatically install/update the WiFi (Version 21.50.0.5) and Bluetooth (Version 21.50.0.1) drivers. RESULT: The ability to connect to WiFi networks is restored to normal functionality. However, the Bluetooth connection issue from Step 3 remains.
  16. Performed a new installation of Windows 10 1909 x64 Education. Performed a manual Windows Update to install drivers. RESULT: New windows install completed. Issue from Step 3 persists.
  17. Purchased another brand new Intel 9260 wireless card and installed it into the laptop. RESULT: Issue from Step 3 persists. See install1.jpg and install2.jpg.
  18. Performed another Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers and used Windows Update to install the drivers. RESULT: Issue from Step 3 persists.
  19. Checked the Manufacturers support page (https://www.asus.com/supportonly/UX330UA/HelpDesk_Download/) for any new drivers or BIOS updates. RESULT: No new drivers or BIOS found. Issue from Step 3 persists.
  20. Installed only the latest Intel Bluetooth driver (Version 21.90.2) and then connected Bluetooth devices. RESULT: Issue from Step 3 persists, but not the issue from Step 13.
  21. Repeated Step 18, and ran the Intel SSU to collect machine data. RESULT: Issue from Step 3 persists, awaiting assistance. See SSU_Results.txt.
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Chris_online
Novice

Andrew,

Thank you for the detailed list of troubleshooting items to check/confirm. As I was working my way down your list, I arrived at the antenna cable connection check (step 4). When I swapped the cables around to check performance I noticed that one of the cables was loose back to where it goes into the lid hinge. After removing the lid from the laptop and opening the hinge I have found the issue. The solder connection on the Aux Antenna has broken and the cable was just laying inside of the antenna assembly. Hard to believe the laptop has been functioning as well as it has over the past year with a broken WiFi antenna connection!

I will be looking for a replacement module or a universal replacement if possible. Thank you for your help.

For those who may also run into this issue, the antenna module has an Asus Part #14008-01900500.

broken_antenna1.jpgbroken_antenna2.jpg

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Chris_online
Novice

I forgot to add this summary in the original post:

What is the model of the motherboard?

Asus UX330UAK Bios Version 315

If this is a laptop, what is the model of it?

Asus UX330UAK

What is the model of the Router?

N/A. Problem exists on all routers.

Is this a new computer?

No.

Was it working fine before?

I can't recall having connected to any Bluetooth devices prior to installing the 9260 card.

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

Nothing recent, see original post for full details.

The wireless card, did you purchased it separately or did it came installed on the computer?

Purchased separately twice. (see post for full details).

When did the issue start?

Last year around June.

Which specific Windows* version are you using?

Windows 10 1909 Education x64. OS Build 18363.900

0 Kudos
Chris_online
Novice

I've been troubleshooting the issue some more and have an interesting update to share.

1. After updating windows to the 2004 update using the Windows 10 Update Assistant, there is now partial functionality of the WiFi function when also connected to a Bluetooth device. Specifically, I can now connect to only 5 GHz networks when connected to a Bluetooth device. This is when using the Windows Update installed drivers for WiFi (Version 21.50.0.5) and Bluetooth (Version 21.50.0.1).
  2. Installing the latest Intel supplied driver for Bluetooth (21.90.2) does not alleviate the issue.
  3. Installing the latest Intel supplied driver for WiFi (21.90.3) results in a complete inability to connect to any WiFi network, as in the original post. ability to connect intermittently to only 2.4 GHz WiFi networks. This will not work if a Bluetooth device is also connected to the laptop.
  4. Performing a Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers (as in Step 15 of the original post) restores WiFi functionality to Step 1 of this post. The Bluetooth issue remains, but I can at least connect to a 5 GHz network in the meantime.

I have collected another batch of data with Intel SSU and have attached the results for review. Hopefully there will be some sort of resolution for this!

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Chris_online

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to check this further, could you please provide some additional details?

1- When the issue happens, do you notice any error message or behavior in Device Manager? For instance, does the Wireless card disappear from the Device Manager or does it show an error code in the General tab in Wireless Adapter properties in Device Manager?

2- Is this issue happening at home, office environment, or both?

3- We understand that you integrated the Intel® Wireless-AC 9260 in the laptop. By any chance and for reference purposes, do you know what the model of the wireless card was that came originally with the laptop (factory-installed)?

4- Since one of the Wi-Fi antennas usually shares the signal with the Bluetooth, have you check with your laptop manufacturer that proper configuration and installation of the antenna cables?

5- Have you checked if this issue happens on different networks? (e.g. Mobile networks with a cellphone).

6- We understand that you mentioned this happens on different routers, however, in order to understand better your environment, please kindly provide Routers brand and model:

7- Network SSID stealth mode: hidden or broadcast?

8- Computer power source (plugged in or battery):

9- How many systems/laptops do you have affected by this particular behavior?

10- Finally, did you confirm with your laptop manufacturer (OEM) that the wireless card is fully compatible and supported by your laptop?

Your computer manufacturer can customize drivers and software to enable or alter features, or provide improved operation on your computer. In these scenarios, we recommend contacting the manufacturer of the laptop for the latest updates and technical support information. Installation or use of Intel® Wireless Adapters is subject to country-specific legal regulations. Some countries require the Intel® Wireless Adapters to be certified with the antenna that is intended to be used together in the system, while some countries require the Intel® Wireless Adapter to be certified at the full system level. For more information please check the following links:

Regulatory Information Regarding Wireless Hardware Installation or Upgrade:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005687/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

Why Doesn't My Laptop Recognize My New Intel® Wireless Adapter?: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005846/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Chris_online
Novice

Andrew,

Thank you for the detailed list of troubleshooting items to check/confirm. As I was working my way down your list, I arrived at the antenna cable connection check (step 4). When I swapped the cables around to check performance I noticed that one of the cables was loose back to where it goes into the lid hinge. After removing the lid from the laptop and opening the hinge I have found the issue. The solder connection on the Aux Antenna has broken and the cable was just laying inside of the antenna assembly. Hard to believe the laptop has been functioning as well as it has over the past year with a broken WiFi antenna connection!

I will be looking for a replacement module or a universal replacement if possible. Thank you for your help.

For those who may also run into this issue, the antenna module has an Asus Part #14008-01900500.

broken_antenna1.jpgbroken_antenna2.jpg

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Chris_online

Thank you for your response and the details provided.

We are glad to know that you found the root cause of the issue. Having said that, we will proceed to close this thread. If you need further assistance in the future, please create a new thread. Also, we highly recommend checking with your OEM before installing and/or upgrading the wireless card on your system.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos