Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

Intel AC 9260 with terrible performance

raul
Beginner

When I turn on the computer, a speed test shows 80-100 mbps / 80-100 mbps, but after working for a while, it drops to 0-3 mbps/0-0.1 mbps.

I'm using a Intel AC 9260 with a Windows 10 2004.  The current driver date is 22/10/2020. If I upgrade/downgrade the driver sometimes it works well for 2-3 days, but the performace always drops. Some driver versions just connect with the terrible performance.

Is there any solution? Please, avoid the "update the drivers" solution, it simply does not solve the problem.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Victor_G_Intel

Hello raul,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

To better assist you with your situation please provide the following report and information to move forward with your support request.

1-Please run the following tool and attach the report generated.  

-Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU)

Download link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

•          Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information

•          By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".  

•          Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

•          To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".  

2-Can you please answer the following questions so we can move forward with your case:

-Do you remember if this issue happened after a new OS update or Wireless driver update?

-Is your computer a laptop or a desktop system?

-Is this issue happening at home, office environment, or both?

-Is this a new computer?

-Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed in your system or have you changed/installed a new adapter recently?

-Have you checked if this issue happens on different networks?

-Were you able to have your wireless connection in a normal/expected performance before?

-Have you installed any recent software or hardware in your system?

-Have you rebooted your access-point, router, modem?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Victor G.

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
raul
Beginner

Hello Victor,

1.I attach the result from the SSU utility report.

2. I'll answer:

-Do you remember if this issue happened after a new OS update or Wireless driver update?

When I bought the adapter (June 2020) it worked using the oldest drivers installed by default by windows 10. I don't remember when it exactly started to fail even with these drivers, but it was after summer (I think there was a major windows update?).

-Is your computer a laptop or a desktop system?

Desktop.

-Is this issue happening at home, office environment, or both?

Both, I work at home.

-Is this a new computer?

No.

-Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed in your system or have you changed/installed a new adapter recently?

I installed recently.

-Have you checked if this issue happens on different networks?

The router has 2.4g and 5g networks, and this issue happens in both, but I couldn't check in a different wifi. We do have other computers that do work well (80-100mbps using the 5g wifi).

-Were you able to have your wireless connection in a normal/expected performance before?

Yes, at the beginning, with the oldest drivers installed by default by windows.

-Have you installed any recent software or hardware in your system?

I made a clean installation some weeks ago after adding an SSD, but this problem also happened before that.

-Have you rebooted your access-point, router, modem?

Yes.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello raul,

Please take a look at the following information and let us know if you need anything else.

When it comes to installing different wireless adapters it is always recommendable to contact the manufacturer of the board to see if it going to work or not, in this case, the adapter that you are currently using is meant to be used on laptops, on desktops because of the type of integration being made we can’t guarantee its full functionally because, even though it fits in your motherboard the environment meant for is a different one; however, it is worth mentioning that if it worked before it might be able to work again, and based on that we would like you to try a clean installation of the latest generic driver we have and after that is done please test the computer with the recommended settings located down below.

Note: In case you want to know more about regulatory information regarding our adapters usage in integrations please check the link below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005687/network-and-io/wireless.html

Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers(Intructions)

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-io/wireless.html

Latest driver

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30057/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30056/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-IT-Admins

Note:

If the installation is unsuccessful with the .exe file, try installing the driver using the .zip file:

1. Save the .zip file from the Download Center on the computer.
  2. Follow the steps above until the driver in the Device Manager displays as Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. Go to where the .zip file is saved and unzip it.
  3. Right-click the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.
  4. Select Update Driver.
  5. Click Browse my computer for driver software.
  6. Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
  7. Click Have Disk.
  8. Click Browse. Select the location where the driver files are located.
  9. Click Next. Drivers are being installed.
  10. Reboot the computer when prompted.

Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024678/network-and-io/wireless.html

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
raul
Beginner

Hi,

I tried with the "manual" driver installation with the latest drivers, and with many versions (even some older driver versions that I could find in the gigabyte support website, is the manufacturer of the pci-e card GC-WB1733D-I that has the intel-ac 9260 wireless module), and the performance is still low.

I also checked the Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity, and still the performance is poor.

I really need to fix this problem. I use this computer for remote desktop work, and it is affecting the quality of my work. I can not keep resetting my network adaptor every 5-10 minutes, and watching how the remote connection freezes and does weird things constantly.

0 Kudos
raul
Beginner

Hi,

I found the driver it worked before some windows update, it was the 21.120.2. Once I uninstall all drivers, the default driver in windows is the 21.10, but I can not install the 21.120.2 because "there is a newer version installed"... Any help? Is there a way to force the installation of an older driver?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Q:  Is there a way to force the installation of an older driver?

A: Yes, of course. Simply uninstall the existing version and then install the older version. If this results in Windows Update upgrading it (after reboot), you may have to disable this manually.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
raul
Beginner

Hi n_Scott_pearson

I meant if, once all drivers have been uninstalled, is it possible to install a driver whose version is older than the included in windows.

Also, I run a ubuntu live distro and I achieved 110/60 mbps, then I rebooted in windows and the speed is 13/10 mbps, so I'd discard a hardware incompatibility.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Oh, no, I definitely agree that the latest versions of the Wireless drivers have a serious problem. I have a bunch of systems with AX200 cards, which were running well when I first set them up (with AX Router) a few months ago, whose performance has dropped through the floor (not even connecting on 5GHz in some cases) with the latest driver releases. Intel has definitely screwed something up.

...S

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello raul,

We appreciate all of the information that you have provided; however, in this case, in order for you to get further assistance with this issue, our strongest recommendation will be to get in touch with the manufacturer of the pci-e card GC-WB1733D-I that you have in this case, Gigabyte, because as much as we would like to further assist you since we didn’t manufacture the pci-e card it will be better to work this problem out with them since every limitation and customization that this pci-e card comes with, has been implemented by them and should be handled only on their end.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will get closed and it will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos