Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

Intel AX200 drivers

Mtrain669
Novice

So i just recently updated my drivers for my desktop pc which uses the intel ax200 drivers and i am now capped at  2 mpbs download speed.  I Have done tests and looked at router settings and i know it's not the router because the previous driver i had i was downloading stuff on steam at like 49mbps which and downloaded an 800mb driver for my graphics card in under 4 seconds and now it takes over 10 mins to download that same driver. Also i have seen that at like 20 different speed tests sites i have consistently hit 16mbps as my download speed when before the update i was around 500. My samsung galaxy s21 ultra hit 800mbps with those same speed tests on the same wifi name. But i use my desktop computer mostly for school and i need faster download speeds. (It's all online learning). ANyone know of a fix or temporary fix. I did the roll back driver thing and it brought it to like version 22.60 or something like that but this 22.70 driver version definitely doesn't work nor does that 22.60 so i must have not updated it in a while.  

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Hi Mtrain669,

There are few easy things to try up front. And I have seen similar things happen with software updates. Luckily, it is something that can be fixed.

1st thing would be to get the latest Wi-fi and Bluetooth drivers. Then uninstall both the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth drivers from the PC, restart, and then install the latest for each. That gets you a driver install. If that doesn't resolve the problem, then go to step 2.

2nd thing would be to have Windows "forget" the wireless network, and then reconnect. You will navigate to Settings, Network & Internet, Wi-Fi. From there, click on Manage known networks. Click on the wireless network you are using, and click Forget. You will need to reconnect at that point. See if that resolves your problem.

3rd is to have Windows reset the network. There are a whack-load of settings that can affect speed and this is the simplest way to put things back to a stable state. Again, go to Settings, Network & Internet, and in the main window near the bottom you should see Network reset. Once started you will be notified the PC will automatically restart in a few minutes. Allow the restart to occur, and then connect to your wireless.

0 Kudos
Mtrain669
Novice

unfortunately none of these worked and i'm still at about 16mbps per speed tests and all. I liked having the super fast internet and maybe I should have waited to buy AX200 but I thought by now most of the bugs would have been worked out. I Don't know what to do....

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Mtrain669,

Please describe your home network? What type of router or access point? And what locale are you in? What is your network speed supposed to be?

0 Kudos
Mtrain669
Novice
What's to know about it I used the Asus ax11000 router and an Intel ax 200 graphics card. I'm in USA and my internet I have gig speed and I know you never get the full gig speed but I was getting when I tried it last before this upgrade 6-800 Mbps now I'm getting 16mbps so something went wrong I have a Microsoft tablet that has wireless AC card and I get 400-500 Mbps with the current set up so I know it has to be something with my ax200 card or the driver's
0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Mtrain669,

There was another thread where the user had an Asus GT-AX11000 and couldn't get the card to negotiate an AX link. In reading the user guide for that router, I was not able to find any selection that would specifically force it to use AX. There are instructions on how to get the GT-AX11000 to operate in AC mode. I find it odd that the GT-AX11000 didn't specifically have a way to handle this when my Asus RT-AX88U does have that control and I know it operates in AX mode.

I would do two things. First, make sure the GT-AX11000 is up to date on firmware. Asus releases tweaks to their routers. Second would be to force the AX200 adapter in your PC to choose 802.11ac instead of letting it try to negotiate an AX link. You can find the controls for that by going to Settings, Network & Internet, Change adapter options. Double-click on the AX200 adapter, and go to Properties. Click Configure near the top, and under Advanced make sure 802.11a/b/g Wireless Mode is set to 6. Dual Band 802.11a/b/g, and 802.11a/ac/ax is set to 3. 802.11ac.

0 Kudos
Mtrain669
Novice
But I don't know when I first had the card it was running fine so wouldn't it be the drivers I didn't upgrade the firmware on my router and but it could be that but I don't think so I just have a feeling it's the drivers because they just updated in August and that's when I was having the problems
0 Kudos
Mtrain669
Novice
The weird thing is it has a button that says enable ax and a button that says enable 5gh 160mhz on it I can send a photo later but I think it does have something I just don't know why it won't work
0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Asus my have updated the user guide. I know when I looked at it the first time, I even did a Ctrl-F search and could find nothing. The other thing to keep in mind is that when the laptop was working faster, you don't know if it was really using an AX link, or an AC link. Asus has a system monitor for the wireless connections that can assist with that. Windows doesn't do a job good of reporting it.

You should be able to create a stable AC link and get reasonable wireless performance. For that matter, even creating an N link on 2.4 GHz should work better than what you are experiencing.

0 Kudos
Mtrain669
Novice
Ok well I'm going to have to figure this out but yeah it's weird because it did work when I first installed it but I guess I can contact Asus to see what they say
0 Kudos
Mtrain669
Novice
Yeah it's weird I switched my cars to use AC only and not ax and it still gets like 2 mb max so I know it's either the card or the driver's are just bad with this router I'm using so I'm just going to to have to figure out something with Asus it could have also been that last firmware update to the router too but it just happened recently so I'm guessing it's the ax drivers from Intel that isn't playing nice. I read on another forum that last year in December someone else had the exact same problem. Where they were getting like 400mbps but now getting like 10 or something and it was the drivers that Intel had put out.
0 Kudos
Mtrain669
Novice
Thanks I'll try this and see if anything works...
0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Mtrain669, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

· Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer:  https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/25293/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html?countrylabel=Asia%2520Pacific

· Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

· To save your scan, click Next and click Save.  

2. Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed on your computer or did you change/install the adapter to this one?   

3. Have you tried with the drivers from the motherboard manufacturer? You mentioned it is a desktop PC.

4. Have you updated the BIOS and operating system?

5. Have you updated the router's firmware?

6. Were you able to get in contact with Asus?

Regards,    

Deivid A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
Mtrain669
Novice
Yay I fixed it so it was the program Asus game first v it limits your internet so your games get the best connect and I uninstalled it and it works now.
DeividA_Intel

Hello Mtrain669, 

Thanks for the update, 

I do appreciate that you let me know how you fixed the issue, this can help anyone that may be having the same issue as you.

Remember that if the adapter came with your motherboard, I recommend you to use the drivers from the motherboard manufacturer and check with them or the router manufacturer (Asus) for support and instructions.

Regards,   

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos