Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7429 Discussions

Intel My Wifi not compatible with 802.11a

idata
Employee

Today I tried to enable the My Wifi technology while using a wireless network connection, and got the message below:

Intel® My WiFi Technology failed to enable because the wireless adapter is connected to the access point using an unsupported channel.

The problem is, the only explanation I could find for this message is this (From Intel ProSet Release Notes (version 14.1 for windows 7)):

Intel® My WiFi Technology failed to enable due to unsupported channel

The following message may display:

Intel® My WiFi Technology failed to enable because the wireless adapter is connected to the access point using an unsupported channel.

If the wireless adapter is connected to the access point using a channel that is not supported by Intel® My WiFi Technology, then the application will not operate. To correct this, it is recommended that you determine the channel supported for your country and change the channel at the access point to match.

Not very helpful since I have no access to the access points, and the reference "channel supported for your country" is a complete misdirect...

After some experimentation, I found that the reason is because I was connecting to a 802.11a access point---I am located on a University campus with hundreds of 802.11a/g access points. The simple solution was to open up the advanced configuration for my Intel 6205 wifi adapter and set the wireless mode to 802.11b/g. This allows my wireless access and "My Wifi technology" (used for Wireless Display) to work side by side.

However, this workaround requires advanced knowledge of wifi troubleshooting, and I'm dissappointed that the Intel Wifi Connection Utility doesn't already have a 'My Wifi compatible mode' which would automatically prefer 802.11g networks when the "My Wifi" function is enabled, and offer a choice between "My Wifi" and network access when 802.11a is the only availble option.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Employee

Update: here's one more snippet I found:

Intel My WiFi PAN Operation in the 5.2GHz Band

• The Intel My WiFi PAN will operate over the 5.2 GHz band (802.11a) only when the Intel My WiFi STA station is connected to an access point that is operating over channel 36, 40, 44, or 48 (5.2 GHz).
0 Kudos