Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7554 Discussions

Intel Wireless-AC 9461 with error code 10

Milan7
Beginner

I have an Asus E410M notebook with Intel Wireless-AC 9461 and cannot use my Wi-Fi after the latest updates (Windows 11). The driver reports error code 10 at school where we have eduroam (an IEEE 802.1X network).

The original driver was from January 22, 2022, and I tried to activate/deactivate the device in Device Manager and uninstall the device too. After restarting, there was no change, still had the same error.

So I tried to install the latest driver from the Intel site (version 22.220.0.4, date 3/29/2023) with no luck (the error is still the same, with no Wi-Fi). The versions and dates are from Device Manager.

What can I do?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Milan7,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. We would be more than glad to help you with your issue.

To better assist you, please provide us with the following:

• When did it start to happen?
  • Have you installed any recent software or hardware in your system?
  • Have you checked if this issue happens on different networks?
  • Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed in your system, or have you changed/installed a new adapter recently?

Best regards

Jean O.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Milan7
Beginner

No, I did not install any software or hardware, this is a bare notebook Asus E410M with no modification and no device connected.

It starts to happen after the last automatic Windows 11 cumulative update (2023-04, KB5025224). I was able to connect sometimes when the problem came, but mostly not. Then I tried to install Windows 11, version 22H2 update but this does not solve the problem.  Then I install the latest Intel driver with no change. The adapter still not working (error code 10) so the list of Wi-Fi networks was not present and I'm not able to even pick a network to connect to.

It works in the home network with WPA2/PSK authentication, but not in the school where is Enterprise WPA2 authentication (IEEE 802.1X, ie. login name and password so WPA supplicant is needed on the computer side). But the adapter fails before a connection is established.

I'll try to collect more info.

0 Kudos
Milan7
Beginner

Today morning it works at home (WPA/PSK), but does not work at school (WPA Enterprise).

Then I found new updates I did not see yesterday (even though I tried to search for updates multiple times):

Microsoft Windows:

• 2023-04 (KB4023057) - Update for Windows 11 version 22H2

Drivers:

• Asustek Computer, Inc. - Extension 6.0.0.300
  • C-Media - SoftwareComponent 1.2.1.15
  • Realtek - SofwareComponent 12.16.1052.25
  • Realtek - SofwareComponent 1.0.0.528
  • C-Media - SoftwareComponent 1.3.1.15

After installation, it started working even though there is no update related to Intel Wi-Fi. I don't know which update fixed the Wi-Fi. Also, the Intel Wi-Fi driver reports in Device Manager, that the device was disabled after the update installation, so I had to enable it by hand (there is no keyboard shortcut for this). Unfortunately, the notebook is not mine, so I'm not able to dissect the exact update which fixed the problem.

It is possible that the device was auto-disabled by software for whatever reason and reported a mysterious "error code 10". But I don't understand why it works at home (WPA/PSK) but not at school (WPA Enterprise) without a touch.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Milan7,

Thanks for the information provided.

Code 10 errors can be caused by many different issues, but the most common is a Windows* Update that includes Wi-Fi or Bluetooth updates. For this type of issue, we recommend you perform a Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers. There are two different types of drivers, generics provided by Intel and Equipment Manufacturer drivers, that are customized to work with each specific system. The best thing to do is to use the drivers provided by the system manufacturer (OEM). Based on the Asus website, the latest Intel wireless driver they have available is version 21.110.2.1. Let us know the outcome of installing your latest OEM driver using the clean install method.

Best regards

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Milan7
Beginner

Today I found new updates I did not see yesterday (even though I tried to search for updates multiple times):

Microsoft Windows:

• 2023-04 (KB4023057) - Update for Windows 11 version 22H2

Drivers:

• Asustek Computer, Inc. - Extension 6.0.0.300
  • C-Media - SoftwareComponent 1.2.1.15
  • Realtek - SofwareComponent 12.16.1052.25
  • Realtek - SofwareComponent 1.0.0.528
  • C-Media - SoftwareComponent 1.3.1.15

After installation, it started working even though there is no update related to Intel Wi-Fi. I don't know which update fixed the Wi-Fi. Also, the Intel Wi-Fi driver reports in Device Manager, that the device was disabled after the update installation, so I had to enable it by hand (there is no keyboard shortcut for this). Unfortunately, the notebook is not mine, so I'm not able to dissect the exact update which fixed the problem.

It is possible that the device was auto-disabled by software for whatever reason and reported a mysterious "error code 10". But I don't understand why it works at home (WPA/PSK) but not at school (WPA Enterprise) without a touch.

The latest driver from the Intel site (version 22.220.0.4, date 3/29/2023) seems to work fine now. In case of a problem, I'll try to use the OEM driver from the Asus website.

Thank you for your cooperation. Milan

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Milan7,

We are glad to know that after installing some system updates and manually enabling the wireless adapter, the system is now working fine. Thank you for taking the time to share this fix, and hopefully, it may help other community members experiencing similar behavior. Since the thread is now solved, we will proceed to close it. Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Best regards

Jean O.

0 Kudos